March 20th, 2014 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Black Sabbath

"All cautions raised, every chance was given, no efforts made, to play the new songs"

i know i should probably tell everyone to ease up on the 'fat axl' type comments/jokes but golly, this made me laugh quite a lot.

seriously though, i know everyone's a little miffed but just try to keep the criticisms somewhat constructive, yeah? thanks.

• Like 2

"All cautions raised, every chance was given, no efforts made, to play the new songs"

i know i should probably tell everyone to ease up on the 'fat axl' type comments/jokes but golly, this made me laugh quite a lot.

I was about to say the same thing. Laughed really hard at that part too. Damn. :rofl-lol:

seriously though, i know everyone's a little miffed but just try to keep the criticisms somewhat constructive, yeah? thanks.

Would people here laugh at someone calling a kid or teenager fat?

I hope you realize that allowing bullying in any form

sends a strong message that we don't care about

others who are being targeted.

I deal with plenty of people doing self-harm from

cutting, od'ing, suicidal thoughts and worse.

Remember the "it gets better campaign"?

This is still a concern. Zero tolerance for this

kind of abuse.

Edited by ohlovelyrita

Seriously - this. We don't have a problem with people being upset about the setlist, Axl's voice, etc. But we've been down the road about his weight so many times, do we really need to rehash it here?

• Like 2

I really would like a toy of Axl like that though I wasn't really trying to be mean lol. Axl's not really fat

by normal standards. It wouldn't need to be that fat just a sorta 'exaggerated' type of thing.

Yeah, I get it. In an artistic kind of way, no? Could be cool.

POSITIVE MEDIA NEWS

Google translated: http://www.rockemgeral.com.br/2014/03/21/em-dia/

At the opening of the tour yesterday in Rio, Guns N 'Roses is the best show in Brazil since the band became the private property of Axl Rose.Photo: Luciano Oliveira.

Posted on March 21, 2014
guns14-3.jpg

"God helps those early hours, but sleeping is not a sin" should be the mantra of the Latin American, according Ze Rodrix, but the saying wears well for Axl Rose. Even with all the care in production so there would be delays, as always happens in a show of Guns N 'Roses , the band took the stage yesterday at HSBC Arena in Rio, about 1:45 a.m. after the scheduled time for the start. Interestingly, many of the fans also arrived on the loop, as a tacit agreement with the singer, who rose early and fell to loosen boos during intervals between songs that were mechanically repeated. Jeers that surely turned into applause and much - much the same - excitement, paying off the debt of the band that almost succumbed to the downpour that fell on the show Rock In Rio 2011 ( see as it was ). According to the producers, about 13,000 people attended the show.

At 2:20 a.m. with lots of explosions, generous lighting, pyrotechnics and finish with shredded paper lacy air, Guns touched everything that the audience wanted to hear. Are hits from the golden age of the band before the megalomaniac Axl freak out and take the group to another, and the songs of the album "Chinese Democracy", that even if it took a thousand years to be released and even today, six years after the delivery, it is still considered "new" for many good people out there. In the case of Guns N'Roses, time follows another logic. The repertoire is based on residency the band played in Las Vegas in 2012, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the album "Appetite For Destruction", the classic Realm First, and four years of "Chinese Democracy," which resulted in the DVD "Appetite For Democracy ", to be released in April (details here ).

guns14-4.jpg

The novelty is the inclusion of two songs sung by other members: "Teenage Kicks", bassist Tommy Stinson, and "Abnormal", guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. Not that it was the first time that this has happened, but points to a new ruse group.Together for about eight years, with the exception of guitarist DJ Ashba, who joined in 2009, this training is now very well knit, which can directly influence the composition and recording a new album, it is that one day it will actually happen .But it promises, promises. Paradoxically, only what can ruin a show of Guns N'Roses today is the performance of the single member of the classic lineup of the group, grimy Axl Rose.

Yesterday, he was fine with the voice on the day, although it has gone through ups and downs during the show. And look at that presentation is planned with various instrumental interventions so that Axl has mini breaks - reportedly - go here behind the stage to receive a little extra oxygen and, to boot, swap jacket and hat. But the back and forth, this time, did not seem as frequent as in concerts 2011, Rock in Rio and in 2010 ( recall ). In the inflections of "Better" early evening; variations in the beautiful "Sweet Child O'Mine" and at the end of "November Rain", Axl tells very well and passes receipt gogó another. Have the wildest part of "You Could Be Mine", even in the difficult time of the original recording in the studio, he suffers a bit. Over time, Axl, 52, will have to find a different way of interpreting certain songs, as with other more mature vocalists mode. But it is not on the tax position of vocalist who harnesses a rock concert. The public knows this and esbalda each hit, especially the older and ingrown relentlessly in the memory of every mortal.

guns14-5.jpg

The so-called land of the guitarists are actually moments of instrumental music that sound like luxury ranges. Although they have fled the obvious quotations from the past (no one else can handle the theme of "The Godfather" consecrated by Slash), you can notice in which source each drink. The discrete Richard Fortus begins as funk rock Jeff Beck and ends in blues remember Jimmy Page , no less than two of the successors of Jimi Hendrix . DJ Ashba, clone pluperfect Slash, top hat and all, goes on more contemporary line identified with Steve Vai and contributes a lot in filling the songs. Bumblefoot, after passing through a heavy regime abuses the double neck guitars, and - then, yes, solo - carries one of the most exciting moments of the night to play the National Anthem. What seemed to be an appealing patacoada becomes a beautiful demonstration of pride when the audience sings the lyrics in unison. And bassist Tommy Stinson, who has been the Replacements, fitted cover for the great punk rock "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones.

The highlights are obvious to show a band with both blockbuster and little new repertoire, but as not to be moved to "Sweet Child O 'Mine" (a song that fattening your bank account Slash), coladinha in "November Rain" even if Axl and piano are not raised like in the past? And the chills with guitar solo that introduces the beautiful "Estranged", who returned to the repertoire after the show at Rock In Rio 2011? In extended versions, "Do not Cry" and "Knockin 'On Heaven's Door", this an interesting vocal duet unexpected Axl fine people with pubic grow a bit later in the show. And by "This I Love", one of the "new" with dramatic tones, and "You Could Be Mine", scraping the pan with Axl's voice cause commotion in public. Luck who took the whistle and microphone Wireless launched the populace in "Paradise City", which, of course, was reserved for the closure. Can note here: it was the best show of Guns N'Roses in Brazil since the band became private property of the coup Axl Rose.

guns14-6.jpg

So, uh, yeah. You "hardcore fans" all remember that a lot of the "new songs" they've done on tour don't get played right away on the first night, right?

Civil War = middle of the tour.

TWAT = middle of Vegas.

What's all of this nonsense about about them lying? Where did they promise 2-3 new songs during the first show? I missed that part.

The ones you quoted weren't new songs, white knight. They were songs from an older line up.

I listened to most of the clips I saw posted here. They are only youtube versions,

but they sounded good to me. I like this type of singing as well as the 2010 type

and the old style. The people attending the concert obviously had a great time and

that is what matters.

Would I like to see new material, new oldies or even new covers? Yes of course,

I am as curious about it as anyone and it could be fun for the performers.

There is nothing wrong with covers, just remember Axl’s version of Sailing.

Some posters are talking about Axl like he just started to look like a sumo wrestler.

He has a little belly, no big deal. I prefer that to the Jagger type skinniness.

The main thing is that he looked healthy. That is the most attractive look to me.

• Like 1

He sounded like a shadow of himself in 2011-2013, but I can hear some improvement on the videos from the last show. Sure, he is nowhere near his 2006 vocals, but he has sounded worse.

Got to remember, I have different standards for Axl than for other singers :D.

• Like 1

I hate that overlength shirt and/or the overshort leather jacket he wears.

Unless he gets his confidence/mojo/energy etc back and goes back to just a t-shirt and bandana a la 2010, I imagine this look is what we'll get for the rest of his career. I've noticed that once they hit their 50s, even artists who were previously flamboyant or changing their look all the time tend to settle into a look they feel comfortable with and this goes hand in hand with really maturing and being comfortable with who they are and all that shit, same as for most people at that age.

One good example is Bob Dylan who was a chameleon right through to his 40s. He played a hobo, a minstrel, a folkie but since he hit 50 he's worn nothing but suits and hats and always looks the same.

I think Axl looked great in 2006-2010 and a huge part of it was not just his mature-rocker outfits but he really had his confidence back. I really feel like 2011 onwards he is, for one reason or another, actually hiding behind all the gaudy shit.

In 2006-2010 he worked the stage with the attitude and energy of 90's-Axl and made eye contact with the front section constantly. Now he plays whole shows behind his hat and shades and doesn't connect with the music or the crowd.

• Like 2

I hate that overlength shirt and/or the overshort leather jacket he wears.

Unless he gets his confidence/mojo/energy etc back and goes back to just a t-shirt and bandana a la 2010, I imagine this look is what we'll get for the rest of his career. I've noticed that once they hit their 50s, even artists who were previously flamboyant or changing their look all the time tend to settle into a look they feel comfortable with and this goes hand in hand with really maturing and being comfortable with who they are and all that shit, same as for most people at that age.

One good example is Bob Dylan who was a chameleon right through to his 40s. He played a hobo, a minstrel, a folkie but since he hit 50 he's worn nothing but suits and hats and always looks the same.

I think Axl looked great in 2006-2010 and a huge part of it was not just his mature-rocker outfits but he really had his confidence back. I really feel like 2011 onwards he is, for one reason or another, actually hiding behind all the gaudy shit.

In 2006-2010 he worked the stage with the attitude and energy of 90's-Axl and made eye contact with the front section constantly. Now he plays whole shows behind his hat and shades and doesn't connect with the music or the crowd.

Great post.

I remember in Madrid 2006, so much energy, indeed looking (without sunglasses) at us in front-row, I felt an incredible charisma from the guy (btw during Twat, you could read in his eyes "downloadin motherfuckers" while looking at us singing the yet-unreleased song).

In 2012, I did not feel it again.

A week's suspension for mags and rita. Hope it was worth it mate. :shrugs:

Yes, worth it! Thanks!! :shades:

Altho I didn't call him a "vacuous twat" but the "female" teacher!!!

I realize this place has it's favourites!

Favourites. Right, which is why you both got the same treatment...

Carry on.