To take our mind off unfortunate current events.........which of the GN'R guitarists have the greatest tones?

Slash's tone is the greatest followed by Buckethead's.

Slash is Guns N'Roses

Buckethead put the greatest spin on all his GN'R cover work - Nightrain being his most outstanding moment. I just loved how Bucket wasn't trying to be Slash, he simply took a Gn'R song and (to coin an X-Factor phrase) made it his own :D

On the CD songs, Robin is where it is at.

Slash's tone on UYI is probably the best guitar tone in history.

Dunno about that, but it was certainly up there and certainly something special...fuck he sounds great on those albums.

He sounded great on the albums but he sounded incredible on tour. His gold-top had an incredible tone and a particular strong, fat sustain - the best I have heard.

Dunno about that, but it was certainly up there and certainly something special...fuck he sounds great on those albums.

He sounded great on the albums but he sounded incredible on tour. His gold-top had an incredible tone and a particular strong, fat sustain - the best I have heard.

The reason why current GNR requires 3 lead-guitarists to match the studio version.

The reason why current GNR requires 3 lead-guitarists to match the studio version.

Including the sickly 17 year old girl in your avatar

• Like 1

Slash's tone on the UYI records were unreal. These days he chases the AFD sound, but really it was mostly the SCOM tone that was so amazing. UYI as a whole had An amazing tone.

There's a Seymour Duncan official test video on YouTube with his signature Seymour Duncan alnico 2 pickups, and the guy gets the closest to Slash's UYI tone that I've ever heard.

Edited by TeeJay410

I'm not trying to stir the old vs new pot but it is a fact that no guitarist post Slash has had any tone let alone good tone. BBF sounds like a broken fax machine, Richard u can hardly even hear in the mix. Most times I cant....and Ashba? Do I really need to go there? ...

Slash, Izzy, and Robin. Everyone else is pretty "meh", cept Ron's, his is god awful. Who the fuck over the age of 12 uses Line 6?

That's something only snobby guitar players give a shit about. The rest of the world doesn't care.

Well people who don't know about guitars will be able to make a blanket statement like "slash sounds better than Ron." The answer why is that Ron plays through a stupid line 6 and Slash plays through a Marshall. So people do give a shit, the amps they use contribute to their tone.

Slash is superb in tone. No doubt, gotta love it.

As far as nuGnR goes - Finck had a great tone, raw - it was a great backbone on the rhytyms. Bucket was and is superb in this field, loved it. But to me like I have said, everything in nuGnR has gone downhill: the guitarist, the drummer, interest on the tours etc. Sad.

Slash, Izzy, and Robin. Everyone else is pretty "meh", cept Ron's, his is god awful. Who the fuck over the age of 12 uses Line 6?

I completely agree with the line 6 comment. I plugged into one of those things once, I thought "what is this garbage" I have had no desire to ever play out of anything of theirs ever again....

But as far as tone goes

1. Slash (legendary tone, enough said)

2. Buckethead (He has a great tone on CD, by far the best of the NU guitarists)

3. Izzy (the hollow body guitars through a marshal, very good and underrated tone)

4. Ashba (based on his live tone, he does have the best of the three current and even better than Robin IMO)

5. Gilby (Nothing ground breaking, but yet solid)

6. Robin (I think some of you over value his live tone, it did not impress me, but his tone on CD is pretty good)

7. Tie Bumblefoot and Fortus (Neither tones are bad, but both could spend a little more time thinking about this. I know for me, less is more, and these two seem to have too many effects going on most of the time I think they were offered contracts for endorsement deals, and couldn't turn down the cash, as a result their tones suffer IMO.)

8. Tobias (Not enough information for me to give him a proper rating)

Edited by Mike420

For the record, Ron does not use a Line 6 live anymore. It's an ENGL Invader, if I'm right. He also uses a TC Electronic Nova System (simple but pretty great sounding multieffect) and a Dunlop Rack Wah. That has been his rig since 2009. It's basically simpler than Slash's is.

However Slash takes the cake for best tone, followed by Robin IMHO.

That's something only snobby guitar players give a shit about. The rest of the world doesn't care.

It doesn't take a guitar snob to know that Line 6 sucks dicks, it just takes having tried a few different amps. Unless you actually want your guitar to sound tinny, digital, and lifeless, as far as solid state heads go Line 6 is probably the worst brand choice you could make as a guitarist who cares at all about tone.