Absolutely shocking performance by Dj Ashba in Buenos Aires

Guest NGOG

Honestly, DJ is overall fine on GNR material. I think he does a much better job overall than Robin did (in the studio would be a different story, though)

He's a nice guy, too. I've met him and he was cool enough. I even think his whole act was manageable in 09-10. Since then his clothes and antics have gotten douchier, but whatever, he's alright... defiantly doesn't deserve all the hate he gets here in terms of him as a person and his playing. His look, on the other hand, flame away although keep in mind we have endured the look of Buckethead and 2002 goth Robin, so is it really THAT bad?

EDIT- For the record, I have no issues with Bucket's look but it is defiantly ridiculous for GNR

Edited by ZoSoRose

has anybody seen the attitude video thats up on nme.com? dont know if it has been discussed but its clear that ashba doesnt know the chords (or the timing of his vocals), even duff turns to him trying to figure out whats going on.

looooooooooool :lol:

He's a complete disaster but, I gotta ask, whom is he speaking to in the mic? Perhaps the sound guy?

Honestly, DJ is overall fine on GNR material. I think he does a much better job overall than Robin did (in the studio would be a different story, though)

He's a nice guy, too. I've met him and he was cool enough. I even think his whole act was manageable in 09-10. Since then his clothes and antics have gotten douchier, but whatever, he's alright... defiantly doesn't deserve all the hate he gets here in terms of him as a person and his playing. His look, on the other hand, flame away although keep in mind we have endured the look of Buckethead and 2002 goth Robin, so is it really THAT bad?

EDIT- For the record, I have no issues with Bucket's look but it is defiantly ridiculous for GNR

DJ is nowhere good enough to get away with dressing like a tool.

Also have you ever noticed that DJ only plays on about 75% of the songs live? I seem him just walking around pretty regularly. And when he does play anything more complicated than a 1-4-5 progression, he fucks something up. Sometimes a bum note, sometimes an entire bum song. He also has the worst bends in the history of guitar playing, which is all the more infuriating because his solos usually consist of nothing but string bends.

• Like 1

I agree with your about Buckethead. But he is an amzing guitar player unlike DJ. Well respected and admire by other musicians and people in the industry. So I can turn a blind eye about his look.

Yeah, I get what you are saying and I am not saying DJ's skill level is anywhere near Bucket's but he does the job well enough. He usually plays solos somewhat like the record (something we all praised him for in 09-10) and tends to play them relatively well. I like Robin a lot, but DJ is just way more consistent. There is no debating that.

I guess his playing never bothered me, it is his look. There is just no way anybody can think all those "monster" or tacky shirts look cool. Oh well, though.

And that Patience solo wasn't bad, its pretty much the same as he's always played it. I guess I have always liked his take on Patience but can understand if a lot of you don't like it.

I have no issues with Bucket's look but it is defiantly ridiculous for GNR

This is the problem some of you people have. "For Guns N' Roses", I mean, what does that exactly mean? Guns N' Roses is some sort of institution with parameters between what you should or should not wear? It's superficial and irrelevant.

Focus on what the guys can bring to the table. Buckethead and Robin both brought what some of you consider to be a great record or the best record of the last decade or the best record ever released. With or without the bucket in the head and with or without the garbage bag on the chest those two guys would have written the same quality of music, and would have performed the old songs the way they did. They're not established by what they wear of how they look like, unless those things change the way they play, which is not their case, unlike DJ Ashba who is more concentrated to "look cool" than to hit the right notes.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

I hope even DJ himself doesn't think that monster t-shirts look cool, he just wears them as promo stuff. And it's annoying. They might as well replace their intro visuals with a Monster energy drink commercial.

Hey Monster is actually a great company, dude. I love the taste, at least. Slash endorses 'em too, to the point where he had a signature energy drink sold in some areas.

I don't really care about DJ though.

Part of the reason that solo sounded so bad was because is guitar was so high in the mix, it was just too loud and didn't fit (it maybe wasn't brilliant either but if it wasn't for the volume I doubt it would be receiving quite this amount of criticism) I do admit to being quite impressed by his solo before on the other hand (the one that was quite fast).

We have no idea what Ron and Axl were smiling about either really, I don't think it's fair or that plausible that they berating him publically (it's just two looks and a smile on Axl's part, who knows?)

This is the problem some of you people have. "For Guns N' Roses", I mean, what does that exactly mean? Guns N' Roses is some sort of institution with parameters between what you should or should not wear? It's superficial and irrelevant.

Focus on what the guys can bring to the table. Buckethead and Robin both brought what some of you consider to be a great record or the best record of the last decade or the best record ever released. With or without the bucket in the head and with or without the garbage bag on the chest those two guys would have written the same quality of music, and would have performed the old songs the way they did. They're not established by what they wear of how they look like, unless those things change the way they play, which is not their case, unlike DJ Ashba who is more concentrated to "look cool" than to hit the right notes.

Yeah, I have no issues with the look. I just meant with GNR I can see why someone would be a bit shot to see someone like Bucket on stage.

Glad he was there when he was and would always welcome him back, just a monster musician. I saw Bucket a few years ago and he was great.

So, you're saying if The Temptations found a great white singer....

Every band has a distinct look. Slash was rejected from Poison, a phenomenal black guitarist was rejected from KISS, etc.

Robin Finck and Buckethead made the band look like a circus act. Looks may not be everything but I find it kind of hard to look at RIRIII and say, "now, this is Guns N' Roses!" (With that, I find it kind of hard to listen to RIRIII and say, "this is Guns N' Roses," either). I think the quote from P4A in my signature sums it up the best.

So, you're saying if The Temptations found a great white singer....

Every band has a distinct look. Slash was rejected from Poison, a phenomenal black guitarist was rejected from KISS, etc.

Robin Finck and Buckethead made the band look like a circus act. Looks may not be everything but I find it kind of hard to look at RIRIII and say, "now, this is Guns N' Roses!" (With that, I find it kind of hard to listen to RIRIII and say, "this is Guns N' Roses," either). I think the quote from P4A in my signature sums it up the best.

Completely wrong. Every band has a distinct look? Tell me, what was the distinct look behind Guns? :lol: Just because you - being judgmental of something you should not judge - find Buckethead looks ridiculous doesn't mean he didn't fit the band he was in, because, what band exactly was he in? And whose shoes was he filling? If it wasn't Guns to you, it was a brand new band with some of the things from the band you loved, no? It's either one thing or another.

To me, after Argentina, 1993, Guns N' Roses never played a gig again. I saw nuGuns as a complete different band with the frontman of the band I loved using the name of the band I loved. Never judged Buckethead for how he looked on stage, couldn't care less. I was focused on what he was playing and how he was playing it. That's what mattered to me.

And when you say circus, look at the state of the band now, that's a circus and I'm not judging them by how they look on stage or what they choose to wear, unless those things are ruining their performance.

I hope even DJ himself doesn't think that monster t-shirts look cool, he just wears them as promo stuff. And it's annoying. They might as well replace their intro visuals with a Monster energy drink commercial.

Hey Monster is actually a great company, dude. I love the taste, at least. Slash endorses 'em too, to the point where he had a signature energy drink sold in some areas.

And rum tastes even better, but I didn't say the beverage sucked. That wasn't the point I was trying to make at all.

Energy drinks are shit. All guys wear booze shirts or cigarette shirts but they don't get paid for it, even Axl sported a Marlboro shirt and I'm sure Slash Jack Daniels so its nothing new, it's just that this guy is nothing BUT an advertising beacon whilst believing he is a legendary guitarist yet hasn't really done that much except with Sixx:AM and enrage many of the GNR fanbase.

• Like 1

And rum tastes even better, but I didn't say the beverage sucked. That wasn't the point I was trying to make at all.

Oh, yeah. I agree that DJ is a sellout

DJ's got a great chemistry with Axl and has some good stage charisma. Enough for me.

that is true, but he's less than Robin, so it was a step back. DJ seems very focused in his creative company, look at the other guys teaching guitar skills, doing solo albums, endorsing guitar gear. He's endorsing energy drinks, make up, clothes.. Seems like the guitar player thing is his third job.

Completely wrong. Every band has a distinct look? Tell me, what was the distinct look behind Guns? :lol:

The original GN'R looked like a cohesive unit. Leather pants, leather jackets, they were pretty much in the same get-up. They looked like they were in a band. At least they did to me.

Just because you - being judgmental of something you should not judge - find Buckethead looks ridiculous doesn't mean he didn't fit the band he was in, because, what band exactly was he in? And whose shoes was he filling? If it wasn't Guns to you, it was a brand new band with some of the things from the band you loved, no? It's either one thing or another.

I can be judgmental about whatever the fuck I want to be judgmental about. Buckethead has a fucking bucket on his head and a mask covering his face, he looks fucking ridiculous. With that being said, I've praised his work and his ability to release new music plenty of times, I don't dislike Bucket but I can call a spade a spade. His musical style matched the direction Axl wanted to go in; I've always said I'm interested in hearing their work together, he's very talented, I concede these points. But I was never into the creepy looking band Axl tried to assemble.

And when you say circus, look at the state of the band now, that's a circus and I'm not judging them by how they look on stage or what they choose to wear, unless those things are ruining their performance.

Yeah, I think this current band is a circus act too. Because of how they dress, how they play, and their inability to do the slightest thing right.

Shut the f@ck up - DJ's GOD! :shades:

Ande he teaches the 'old one' a lesson or two… :bitchfight:

Bfoot played the US national anthem here and sang it at the 3 minutes mark. The vocals alone are infinitely better than Ashba's awful performance. :lol: I recommend ya's to watch from the start though, he sings and plays Wasted Years right at the start of the vid. Great stuff.

Dear Lord, everytime I see guys like Bucket, Ron, Rich, Slash or Robin playing something - anything, really - I look at the current GnR vids and get truly depressed. Why in the world did Axl hire this clown, and why does he allow him to be the lead guitarist instead of Rich?

why-god-why-kitten.jpg

• Like 1