How successful would a reunion be - give your estimates

It'd be a success without a question and no way after that would Axl be able to get away with his Gn'R cover band anymore…so it ain't happening in this lifetime.

Edited by trqster
  • Like 1

Stadiums - at least for the first year - and thereafter, arenas. The band would recapture GN'R's missing North American fanbase. That is, if it was planned like the 1996 Kiss Reunion. An album could potentially sell like ACDC's Black Ice or Metallica's Death Magnetic, but it could just as easily sell less than Chinese Democracy; joe public do not seem to be terribly concerned about new music.

Guest NGOG

An album could potentially sell like AC/DC's Black Ice or Metallica's Death Magnetic, but it could just as easily sell less than Chinese Democracy; joe public do not seem to be terribly concerned about new music.

I am telling you now, if they all got their shit together, a reunion record would knock those records out of the ballpark. Commercially speaking, the idea of Axl Rose and Slash playing on the same record is huge. Name a more sought after duo in mainstream music - because I'm telling you you can't.

The same applies to touring. If they didn't overkill by playing too many dates, they could play anywhere they wanted at any given time. Old GNR became the biggest band in the world, and they died with that title. Nobody knocked them off the top, they did it themselves.

• Like 1

I was at Heaton Park for the Stone Roses and I think Guns could probably top that although the SR do have a particular connection with Manchester so I don't know how much that came into play.

Certainly a first tour leg would sell out after that I don't know, they are not quite up there with The Rolling Stones so it's hard to say. Would probably depend on whether they put out a new album or continued just playing the hits. Even with an olive branch thrown to Slash I struggle to imagine them getting along nicely for more than a couple of months.

Guest NGOG

GN'R aren't nearly as relevant as some here like to think.

Old GNR aren't nearly as irrelevant as some here like to think.

• Like 2

I completly disagree with some here, a gnr reunion tour would absolutly be bigger than anything in the current world of pop music. WHY? Because look at what Zeppelin's one off reunion caused, tickets were going for 6 or 7 digit prices. NO ONE pays that to see Katy Perry, Kanye, or Miley. Sure that was a one off performance, but had they went on tour, they would have ran away with the tour of the year, not even by a close margin. Zeppelin would have grossed double or even triple what the next biggest act grossed, and that's being generous on my part.

What is the 2nd biggest possible reunion in rock and roll? Guns n' Roses. I firlmy believe a gnr reunion would approach Zeppelin type numbers, even with Axl in his current state. Hell they are in the top 10~15 with the current line up, they would be #1 with a bullet with a reunion. All the old fans would go, all the NU fans would go, all the Slash fans would go, even many modern rock fans would go. Why would modern rock fans go you ask? Because all of their idols (Avenged sevenfold and pretty much every rock band on the planet) would be giddy like school kids again to go and see Guns n' fucking Roses. If Avenged Sevenfold is your favorite band, and they talk about how great gnr is/was, that will make their fans want to go see gnr as well.

Not only would it be the biggest tour of the year, it would also be the biggest music story of they year (unless someone BIG dies). So to all of you that try and dismiss classic gnr as "80's cock rock" just show how young and unitelligent you really are. A gnr reunion would be bigger than anything in the world of pop, by a large margin at that. Some of you forget that there are more people between the ages of 25~50 (which would make up most of gnr's fan base) than there are 15~25 (which makes up the pop music market). Plus us older folks have a lot more money to spend. Katy Perry, Kanye, Miley and whomever else would come in a distant 2nd in gross income to a gnr reunion...

An album could potentially sell like AC/DC's Black Ice or Metallica's Death Magnetic, but it could just as easily sell less than Chinese Democracy; joe public do not seem to be terribly concerned about new music.

I am telling you now, if they all got their shit together, a reunion record would knock those records out of the ballpark. Commercially speaking, the idea of Axl Rose and Slash playing on the same record is huge. Name a more sought after duo in mainstream music - because I'm telling you you can't.

The same applies to touring. If they didn't overkill by playing too many dates, they could play anywhere they wanted at any given time. Old GNR became the biggest band in the world, and they died with that title. Nobody knocked them off the top, they did it themselves.

This....

The only duo that would be sought after would be Page/Plant. But yes I agree with pretty much everything you said. Some of these kids on here have their current music so far up their ass that they have NO IDEA how big Guns n' Roses were. Image Katy Perry, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, Avenged Sevenfold, and whomever else you want to add all put in a blender would still not equal how big gnr were. None of those "artists" can not claim the title "biggest band in the world". Well gnr was. And think about it like this, Metallica were at their absolute peak in the early 90's, and gnr were still bigger. Gnr were at Michael Jackson type levels, nobody on today's scene even compares with that.

I'm an older fan and I wouldn't go

But that's just because your stubborn, lol.

You wouldn't have any desire to see real gnr one more time???

lmfao, I'm a cupcake because I think it's possible that a group of 50 year olds playing 80s rock songs might not set the world on fire, and that in the event that it doesn't, i don't preemptively blame axl. fuck off

I don't really understand why are you here if you hate the 80's band so much

Btw people who still showed up at one of Axl's gigs in the past few years mostly showed up, because of the NAME and the classic hits

Ive no real interest in seeing this as long as Axl remains in his current physical shape with his voice the way it is. Its a shame because I had goosebumps watching the HOF performance and I know the other guys would totally bring it but seeing them all on their A game only to see fatty Axl come on stage and wheeze through the motions would just make me sad.

Axl would be the weak link. Compare the energy levels and voice to back in the day and it is a million miles of difference. Slash can play better than ever before, Duff too, Izzy is Izzy. Would Adler be in the drum seat? could he go like he used to?

Edited by T-Minus

This....

The only duo that would be sought after would be Page/Plant. But yes I agree with pretty much everything you said. Some of these kids on here have their current music so far up their ass that they have NO IDEA how big Guns n' Roses were. Image Katy Perry, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, Avenged Sevenfold, and whomever else you want to add all put in a blender would still not equal how big gnr were. None of those "artists" can not claim the title "biggest band in the world". Well gnr was. And think about it like this, Metallica were at their absolute peak in the early 90's, and gnr were still bigger. Gnr were at Michael Jackson type levels, nobody on today's scene even compares with that.

No. I don't see the appeal or the purpose.

Even if I didn't see them back in the day, I wouldn't want to see AFD/UYI GNR bands live now or in the future.

It already happened. Can't re-do what once was. Whatever magic or luck or stars aligning or whatever else won't happen again. It's just wishful thinking that it would be the same. It would be a shadow of what it was, especially considering that the frontman is a shell of what he was. And all eyes will be on him regardless of Duff or Slash or Izzy or anyone else...it's Axl front and center and he'll have to carry the burden of being on point...and there's no evidence that he can do that anymore.

I've moved on many, many years ago. I am so sick of hearing Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City and crap songs like Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle. I don't want to hear the new band play them nor would I have any interest in hearing the old band play them.

Enough is enough is enough is enough already.

• Like 1

This....

No. I don't see the appeal or the purpose.

Even if I didn't see them back in the day, I wouldn't want to see AFD/UYI GNR bands live now or in the future.

It already happened. Can't re-do what once was. Whatever magic or luck or stars aligning or whatever else won't happen again. It's just wishful thinking that it would be the same. It would be a shadow of what it was, especially considering that the frontman is a shell of what he was. And all eyes will be on him regardless of Duff or Slash or Izzy or anyone else...it's Axl front and center and he'll have to carry the burden of being on point...and there's no evidence that he can do that anymore.

I've moved on many, many years ago. I am so sick of hearing Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City and crap songs like Out Ta Get Me and My Michelle. I don't want to hear the new band play them nor would I have any interest in hearing the old band play them.

Enough is enough is enough is enough already.

I am with you on that. I would much prefer to see an old version of the new band get back together and put out a new album of everything that they didn't get to release.

• Like 1

best post in this thread

Dizzy better not be around.

Why the fuck not?
The fact you had to ask renders all your dad rock sneering moot.

No, really. Why shouldn't Dizzy be there? Give me one legitimate reason.

Because keyboards are as ghey as Ashba?

Dizzy better not be around.

Why the fuck not?
The fact you had to ask renders all your dad rock sneering moot.

No, really. Why shouldn't Dizzy be there? Give me one legitimate reason.

Because keyboards are as ghey as Ashba?

And Adler still having a perm at 50 is quite possibly the most revolting thing in rock culture. You don't see me saying Adler shouldn't be at a reunion.

Dizzy is a HOF inducted member of the band who played on the UYIs and was the only keyboardist on the UYI tour. Unless they plan on rearranging the songs so that they don't include Dizzy's parts (unlikely), he'll need to be there, regardless of how ghey you think one of the most widely used instruments in the world is.

If it's a cash grab now it's a supermarket sweep with a reunion. Will the cupcakes be consistent and call it as such or will they become the hypocrites of the hall of mirrors GNR jamboree and proclaim everything as rosy and sweep the crumbs under the surface like the blind Axl defenders do over on Here Today Gone To 1984?

Playing stadiums around the world. If AC/DC can, I'm pretty sure a reformed Guns would be able to too.

Original guns played two nights at Wembley stadium, two years running. That's a pretty remarkable feat.

Hell, Axl's band play stadiums (in some countries), add Slash into the mix and it would not be clubs they'd be performing at in the US.