TWAT @ Taipei '09

What's everyone's thoughts on this performance? I personally love it. Axl is completely "off" the notes but he's still on key. To me it sounds a lot better than in Tokyo when he hit the notes properly but they sounded like shit because they were in that midrange that he can't do.

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 2

he had some technical issues, he was fiddling with that mic thing on his back. He went off stage after the song finished then came back on to do LALD. they also played ITW and the James Bond theme. They also played TIL and Shackler's, they couldn't work out who was going to play TIL. Better was pretty rocking that show too. I was surprised people were singing along with it. Axl made a joke about MJ recommending hims a great doctor and told that story about meeting Bob Dylan and how he wanted them to cover KOHD so he could get the money. Which seemed to be code for Axl saying I'm here for the money. if it's good enough for Bob...

I dig it. I love the big cheer he gets for his scream at 4:24 - 4:30.

God I miss the days when Axl didn't hide under a big hat, sunglasses and shit leather jacket....

• Like 3

If he had a personal stylist he could have looked better at this time. But love this performance also. A lot of energy.

He did, I think. 2009 is when he started changing outfits between songs to a retro outfit from his past.

This only lasted for a few months and then he got lazy with the costume changes.

But I remember one was the red flannel, and another was his cutoff-shirt from 2006.

This is the show where Axl sings "December Rain" as it was lashing down.

Axl really got into the solos on TWAT. i was hoping to find a bootleg of this show at some point. Made in Taiwan.

• Like 1

Guest NGOG

This show was essentially, by Axl's own admission, an 'open rehearsal'. So what you're seeing is Axl publicly experimenting with his approach to the songs.

One thing I will say is that Axl looks cool as fuck. No hats, no sunglasses, no multiple layers of clothing; just slick wet hair and a stylish t-shirt. If Axl happens to be reading, this is the way you should present yourself! Don't fear being judged at face value.

• Like 2

I like the way he screams "Where she was while she was sleeping". Too much gel in his hair though, he looks like a redneck truck driver. I liked his hair better at Osaka in 2009 when he just let it down freely.

This show was essentially, by Axl's own admission, an 'open rehearsal'. So what you're seeing is Axl publicly experimenting with his approach to the songs.

One thing I will say is that Axl looks cool as fuck. No hats, no sunglasses, no multiple layers of clothing; just slick wet hair and a stylish t-shirt. If Axl happens to be reading, this is the way you should present yourself! Don't fear being judged at face value.

Absolutely agree with you 100% NGOG, he looks great & I love his hair just like I love it in the Japan videos that followed this.

I wonder how sore his right hand was at this point after socking the photographer at the airport on the way - something must have really bugged him at LAX cos on stage here he seems so happy.

Yes if he reads this take note of NGOG's assessment of clothing - maybe hire him to dress you before performances?? :lol::headbang:

I gather he wears the leather jackets to try and hide/disguise his gut, but this has the opposite effect than desired. It draws your attention to it, adds extra bulk and it makes him look fatter than he actually is. He's kind of lost the plot with his appearance these last few years.

I couldn't believe he turned up at the recent SA tour wearing the same shit. He'll also turn up at the Vegas residency wearing the same shit. I feel like he's stuck in a rut just now.

• Like 2

I gather he wears the leather jackets to try and hide/disguise his gut, but this has the opposite effect than desired. It draws your attention to it, adds extra bulk and it makes him look fatter than he actually is. He's kind of lost the plot with his appearance these last few years.

I'll never forget when GNR's website released that high-definition pic of Axl from Donington 2006 with Axl's stomach photoshopped.

Wearing open shirts with only the bottom buttons closed means you're hiding something.

I'll never forget when GNR's website released that high-definition pic of Axl from Donington 2006 with Axl's stomach photoshopped.

Wearing open shirts with only the bottom buttons closed means you're hiding something.

Which picture are you talking about?

Axl really got into the solos on TWAT. i was hoping to find a bootleg of this show at some point. Made in Taiwan.

There's a DVD of this show. It's not stellar quality IIRC, but it's good enough to watch for sure.

There's a DVD of this show. It's not stellar quality IIRC, but it's good enough to watch for sure.

how would I order it?

I have had TWAT on the brain this week. And I have been thinking about GNR... Kidding.

What a great song. Taipei version is just weird, and Axl's mullet is distracting... Love the Hammerstein version. Just reaffirms that 2006 was pretty great. The swagger was for real!

Which picture are you talking about?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/98932-axls-hair-real-not-real-balding-plugs-put-in/page-3

It's the picture at 5 post down...atleast I think. It's the only one from 06 with his shirt open.

First time I heard it, knew there was gonna be a lot of good things in store. Love raw debuts like this and november rain. The solos are kind of a mess but at least Slash can say he was loaded and not using it as a stage antic like Ashba the emo swag prop. Not trying to go off topic but my appreciation was gone for what he did to sweet child, so horrible I had to take a break..

• Like 1

how would I order it?

PM me your mailing address, I'll send you a copy.

• Like 1