TWAT @ Taipei '09

If he couldn't perform it without going out of breath back then there's no chance he does it now. This is why I don't think he'll perform anything new ever again, he has a handful of CD songs down well, CD, Sorry, Shackler's, TIL but still struggles on and off (especially now) with Better, Street of Dreams and Catcher. He won't rehearse and I don't know if his voice will ever recover to a suitable Axl standard... then again he played new stuff in 01 when his voice was helium sponsor worthy.

See with that version of This I Love in a different key, i truly believe there is alternative versions of the songs in different keys and with different line ups and same lineups but different mixes with different solo's and stuff, eg about ten versions of each song over the years. I actually really love TIL in a different key

Not to get into a discussion about Axl's physical shape in 2006, but that picture doesn't look photoshopped. I have another picture on my computer from the same show, shot by someone else from a different angle and he looks the same, abs and all. So... :shrugs:

I believe this is the pic TheSeeker is talking about, not the one posted above.

I couldn't find a higher res copy, but you can see the blurring of the crowd beside Axl's stomach as if it's been photoshopped to make his stomach look flatter... I don't know what's going on with the image, but I don't think there's any intentional foul play at work...

AXL_GCH3305cc.jpg

Same moment, same gig, different angle. No visible gut. Axl was in great shape in 2006...

07518_163631_gunsnrosesdownl06_01.jpg

I believe this is the pic TheSeeker is talking about, not the one posted above.

I couldn't find a higher res copy, but you can see the blurring of the crowd beside Axl's stomach as if it's been photoshopped to make his stomach look flatter... I don't know what's going on with the image, but I don't think there's any intentional foul play at work...

AXL_GCH3305cc.jpg

Same moment, same gig, different angle. No visible gut. Axl was in great shape in 2006...

07518_163631_gunsnrosesdownl06_01.jpg

I have the huge version of that picture on my computer at home and I don't think anything was photoshopped on it. Axl didn't have anything to hide, let alone a "gut", in 2006.

4g7hh0ppo3.jpg

• 1 year later...

This show was essentially, by Axl's own admission, an 'open rehearsal'. So what you're seeing is Axl publicly experimenting with his approach to the songs.

One thing I will say is that Axl looks cool as fuck. No hats, no sunglasses, no multiple layers of clothing; just slick wet hair and a stylish t-shirt. If Axl happens to be reading, this is the way you should present yourself! Don't fear being judged at face value.

Definitely on This I Love, there was some hestitation who doing what. Ron in the end opened it. I think he played the solo not Dj at that first show.

Given that they played ITW, TWAT, Shacklers,TIL it was like a warm up show with Shacklers and TIL being successful. ITW and TWAT caused some technical difficulties.

There was a real energy and celebration to the show it makes sense now as the show was book by the band not Azzof and Axl decked a pap at LAX, they were touring after releasing the record. Small enthuiastic crowd. I was surprised people were singing Better.

yeah, the hammerstein one was better of course!

Bumble messes up the solo like always

Keep in mind that this was from 2006, he was in the band for like one months at that time

later he performed well, imo

Btw Robin also plays his parts better at the debut

This show was essentially, by Axl's own admission, an 'open rehearsal'. So what you're seeing is Axl publicly experimenting with his approach to the songs.

One thing I will say is that Axl looks cool as fuck. No hats, no sunglasses, no multiple layers of clothing; just slick wet hair and a stylish t-shirt. If Axl happens to be reading, this is the way you should present yourself! Don't fear being judged at face value.

Definitely on This I Love, there was some hestitation who doing what. Ron in the end opened it. I think he played the solo not Dj at that first show.

Given that they played ITW, TWAT, Shacklers,TIL it was like a warm up show with Shacklers and TIL being successful. ITW and TWAT caused some technical difficulties.

There was a real energy and celebration to the show it makes sense now as the show was book by the band not Azzof and Axl decked a pap at LAX, they were touring after releasing the record. Small enthuiastic crowd. I was surprised people were singing Better.

I assume you were there

How was the show? how was experiencing the longest Nugnr show ever?

Seems like they were like to be there and Axl went 100% in 2010

My thoughts as this video plays...

-Great to see Axl in plain clothing and smiling

-Holy shit,,,Pittman is actually doing something

-Axl struggling to get into the song at the beginning still sounds better than most of 2012-2014.

-Forgot how young and clean shaven Bumblefoot looked in late 2009/early 2010. He looks legitimately thrilled to be playing in the band.

-DJ Ashba still looks like an actual human being and not a Guitar Hero character. At this point, he was already sounding awful, but I was willing to give him a chance. Looking back, I really cannot tell when I started thinking he was a complete tool.

-From the handful of times they've played this song, I will admit DJ handles the first guitar solo fairly well.

-Background vocals sound ace.

-4:20 - 4:30 Axl at his finest

-What is being said by Axl (?) when Bumblefoot starts playing his guitar solo?

Keep in mind that this was from 2006, he was in the band for like one months at that time

I assume you were there

Tokyo was the longest show, not Taipei. I think Taipei is the one wasted was at.

The June 6 version of TWAT from last year is the best ever BTW.

I assume you were there

I think it was the next show in Osaka that was the longest? In Taipei there is a strict 1030-11 shut down of stadium/subway system. So i said to my friend might be late. It had 730or 830 on ticket and said might be on by 11. But he said that wont happen here. And it was true Axl was on at 830-930 and show was over 1030-11.

I thought was a good show with good energy as first show after release of CD. Heavens door and Better were highlights. With Dj getting great reception for SCOM intro solo.

Axl turned up well sunned and looking like Kenny Powers after a week of coke n beers. It rained during Nov Rain and he sang December Rain on final chorus. If the World was epic with Axl doing more rock vocal on it. Really offered something new to the show.

Axl also told a couple of stories. One about meeting Dylan, Bob wanted to know when he would get paid for GNR's Heavens Door cover. He didnt care but he wanted the money. To me it seemed to imply thats why Axl was there touring. It's the little details that can break a case wide open. The Dylan story is the can green paint of the CD era.

Other about saying he met MJ and MJ said he could recommend a great doctor for Axl. It was just after his death if I recall correct. A joke i think, Axl was wearing a suspicious fingers MJ looking glove.

Very enthuiastic crowd in Taipei. Seemed to take 2 hours to find a place to park and about 3 hours to get home not including flight but worth it. Got picture with this lifesized Terminator in an underground mall that was cool. Overseas Dragon fry dumplings are always open in Taipei. Taiwan beer is decent.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

I assume you were there

Tokyo was the longest show, not Taipei. I think Taipei is the one wasted was at.

The June 6 version of TWAT from last year is the best ever BTW.

No way. Hammerstein is the only time he's actually nailed the verses effortlessly and the final chainsaw scream beats any others. Unfortunately he bailed on the pre-solo scream; the bootleg quality is B- and BBF didn't have time to learn the solo properly.

TWAT has never been done perfectly live, the more recent shows being bastardized by Ashba's attempt at Robin's solo spots and some questionable vocals

Bumble nearly nailed Bucket's solo at the Vegas shows though. It leaves me curious what the solo would have been like if the song was performed on the 2001-2 tour, since Bucket typically doesn't perform solos identical to the studio versions

Edited by Gackt