3. Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

4. Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

5. Foxy Shazam - The Church Of Rock And Roll

6. Fitz And The Tantrums - Pickin' Up The Pieces

7. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass

8. The Black Keys - Turn Blue

9. Rod Stewart - Unplugged And Seated

10. The Police - Outlandos d'Amour

Broke out MMLP2 for the first time in a while. It's weird, it's a pretty okay album and I don't dislike any of the songs (except Stronger Than I Was, ugh) but it's just so...middle of the road.

Really? I thought it was fierce.

It's a little hard to put in words, but I guess it feels a lot more...calculated than he ever has. From the title down to a lot of the pop culture references he drops on it, the nostalgia grab on it puts me off a little. I was also really hoping it was going to be the album where he started throwing shade at everyone and anyone like he did back in the day, just for the sake of starting shit, especially since he was bringing Slim back. Don't get me wrong though, I still like it, but I think it jumps back and forth between really great songs and some really average ones a little too much.

Broke out MMLP2 for the first time in a while. It's weird, it's a pretty okay album and I don't dislike any of the songs (except Stronger Than I Was, ugh) but it's just so...middle of the road.

It's a little hard to put in words, but I guess it feels a lot more...calculated than he ever has. From the title down to a lot of the pop culture references he drops on it, the nostalgia grab on it puts me off a little. I was also really hoping it was going to be the album where he started throwing shade at everyone and anyone like he did back in the day, just for the sake of starting shit, especially since he was bringing Slim back. Don't get me wrong though, I still like it, but I think it jumps back and forth between really great songs and some really average ones a little too much.

Perhaps the intensity of your scrutiny is different too?

Could be, I definitely enjoy it a lot more when I just throw it on in the background as opposed to really sitting there and listening to it.

Could be, I definitely enjoy it a lot more when I just throw it on in the background as opposed to really sitting there and listening to it.

Not to butt in you guys' convo, but I don't get to talk about rap much on here. I though MMLP2 was very good. It does have some songs I don't even listen to (Chevelle mentioned Stronger Than I Was, I'd add Monster) but most everything else is good. He raps his ass off for the most part. Rhyme or Reason, So Much Better, Brainless, Evil Twin, Baby, good stuff.

I rank it much higher than Recovery but a little behind Relapse.

Brainless is HARD, i just love that beat! And he sound really wound up in it. Was just great to hear the boy back and off that Oscar winning 'we can make it!' Tom Hanks rap.

Yeah Brainless is a favorite.I think since he really couldn't do the Slim Shady, I'm a nothin underdog tryin to come up so fuck you, type of thing anymore, he tried to make this his new thing. The underdog that did make it then so can you. And it works sometimes but just too much. That's why I love Relapse. That's actually more Slim Shady than MMLP2.

• Like 1

Brainless is HARD, i just love that beat! And he sound really wound up in it. Was just great to hear the boy back and off that Oscar winning 'we can make it!' Tom Hanks rap.

Yeah Brainless is a favorite.I think since he really couldn't do the Slim Shady, I'm a nothin underdog tryin to come up so fuck you, type of thing anymore, he tried to make this his new thing. The underdog that did make it then so can you. And it works sometimes but just too much. That's why I love Relapse. That's actually more Slim Shady than MMLP2.

When it comes to rap I'm just plain prejudice, you either gotta be a total purist or just hardcore. I just can't stand that shit, that fuckin' inspirational video shit, you need to fuckin' grease me so hard to inspire me. For example C.R.E.A.M. to me, is one of the most inspiring songs in the world...but they don't beat you over the fuckin' head with it, it's inspirational just for what it is. Like they tell a story about where they're from and where they are at is obvious, so there it is, that fuckin' hallmark card bullshit, it's just uninspired.

And it's not Em's fault either, God bless him, it's just obvious he's got nothing to write about and he spends a lot of time living in his head so it's all this pure emotional shit all coming out. See he got to a kind of fame thats alien to rappers, to almost all rappers prior to him, that Michael Jackson level of fame, that level of fame to where little white kids come up to you in the street looking for your autograph, that getting mobbed in public kinda fame, for a private person like Em' that must drive you fuckin' insane, the guy just basically sat indoors ordering the best fuckin' food from high end restaurants and sat around watching TV and getting fat and doin' pills. So what else is there to write about i guess?

Thing about Em' is with me is his pen game never slipped, thats NEVER and thats why he'll always be the coldest and every album he makes will at LEAST be 7 out of 10, for as long as he's rhyming like that, fuck me, he's the business, he's what it is, he's the boy.

Ain't that some kind of fuckin' act of God though, the greatest rapper alive...and he's a white boy, I love that shit :lol: Think back to 97, go back to being J in 97 and i come up to you and go 'you watch man, there's this whiteboy coming and he's gonna come out puttin' MCs down, he's gonna be the greatest rapper ever born' you'd think i was out of my fuckin' mind :lol:

That said i do think there are rappers that could lay him out battling. Freestyling and all that aside, song for song, I never seen anybody play KRS. People think I'm crazy when i say that but i can only go by what i seen and heard. Same goes for LL. I remember when Canibus came out everyone was like 'i never heard anybody rap like that OMG' but then, see, you wake the sleeping giant, see what happens? I dunno, it'd just be interesting, it's difficult for me to discount Em's ability on the mic. People think it's all about the ability to twist and turn and flip words all over or just be the MOST insulting but really what it is is a combination of everything...and i dunno man, KRS is just one of those people, deceptive brilliance. Tupac is another one, song for song, wind Tupac up, get on his fuckin' nerves and you're gonna have a fuckin' long night. Tupac absolutely slayed Biggie and yet, lets face it, lyrically, rhyme for rhyme, there's no way Tupac could take Biggie...but he did, it happened, you saw it and i saw it. Or heard it.

Sorry, total tangent there! :lol: KRS, trust me on that one, KRS is a murderer. Perhaps its just like a fondness thing, like people feel like they're hearing The Bridge is Over all over again every time they hear KRS go in on someone :lol: But thats not giving him his credit, KRS is just straight fuckin' poison on the mic.

When it comes to rap I'm just plain prejudice, you either gotta be a total purist or just hardcore. I just can't stand that shit, that fuckin' inspirational video shit, you need to fuckin' grease me so hard to inspire me. For example C.R.E.A.M. to me, is one of the most inspiring songs in the world...but they don't beat you over the fuckin' head with it, it's inspirational just for what it is. Like they tell a story about where they're from and where they are at is obvious, so there it is, that fuckin' hallmark card bullshit, it's just uninspired.

And it's not Em's fault either, God bless him, it's just obvious he's got nothing to write about and he spends a lot of time living in his head so it's all this pure emotional shit all coming out. See he got to a kind of fame thats alien to rappers, to almost all rappers prior to him, that Michael Jackson level of fame, that level of fame to where little white kids come up to you in the street looking for your autograph, that getting mobbed in public kinda fame, for a private person like Em' that must drive you fuckin' insane, the guy just basically sat indoors ordering the best fuckin' food from high end restaurants and sat around watching TV and getting fat and doin' pills. So what else is there to write about i guess?

Thing about Em' is with me is his pen game never slipped, thats NEVER and thats why he'll always be the coldest and every album he makes will at LEAST be 7 out of 10, for as long as he's rhyming like that, fuck me, he's the business, he's what it is, he's the boy.

I've never rated anything under a 7. That would Encore. I know people shit all over it but I honestly never thought it was as bad as people say. Yea it's got some duds, but some good stuff too. And that was his rock bottom when he was out of his mind. His worst album, his rock bottom, is a pretty good not great album, that says a lot especially in rap. That trio of SSLP, MMLP, TES, is one of the best stretches in all of hip hop. I even given Recovery like an 8 and I hate the production on it.

Ain't that some kind of fuckin' act of God though, the greatest rapper alive...and he's a white boy, I love that shit :lol: Think back to 97, go back to being J in 97 and i come up to you and go 'you watch man, there's this whiteboy coming and he's gonna come out puttin' MCs down, he's gonna be the greatest rapper ever born' you'd think i was out of my fuckin' mind :lol:

Yeah I would have told you to GTFO. Shit it still took a little while before I gave him due respect. I went from, oh shit another white boy trying to rap, to, ok ok he's better than I thought, to, motherfucker this boy is the truth.

That said i do think there are rappers that could lay him out battling. Freestyling and all that aside, song for song, I never seen anybody play KRS. People think I'm crazy when i say that but i can only go by what i seen and heard. Same goes for LL. I remember when Canibus came out everyone was like 'i never heard anybody rap like that OMG' but then, see, you wake the sleeping giant, see what happens? I dunno, it'd just be interesting, it's difficult for me to discount Em's ability on the mic. People think it's all about the ability to twist and turn and flip words all over or just be the MOST insulting but really what it is is a combination of everything...and i dunno man, KRS is just one of those people, deceptive brilliance. Tupac is another one, song for song, wind Tupac up, get on his fuckin' nerves and you're gonna have a fuckin' long night. Tupac absolutely slayed Biggie and yet, lets face it, lyrically, rhyme for rhyme, there's no way Tupac could take Biggie...but he did, it happened, you saw it and i saw it. Or heard it.

One thing's for sure, aint no rapper around today can fuck with him. That includes Kendrick and his I'm going to diss you as nicely as possible. Heard that Drake/Meek Mill feud? It's terrible. Like softcore battle. KRS would be a great match. Both have the skills and the smarts. LL is just so vicious he could go on him. Ghostface could. Maybe even Nas. I think Cube could too. Once he gets pissed it's hard to match his intensity. Pac would go on him. Don't get me started on Pac/Biggie I don't want to hurt any feelings.

Edited by J Dog