Is Axl's Voice Really Better Live Than Whats in the Videos(of the same concert)?

Now and then, I read people who been to concerts, defend Axl's voice to be different from videos in the net of the same concert. Saying that live, he doesnt sound bad. Cuz I was watching the concerts thru online videos, and well, it just sucks plain and simple. Its downright embarrassing, esp. if youre a longtime fan.

Not trying to start an e-fight between Axl supporters and detractors, but just really wanna know... that all is not lost.

I don't think it's that his voice is different when your there, it's that when your in that environment with the screaming people and loud sound system if Axl is off his game you can't really tell as if you were watching a YouTube video and critiquing it. I've only seen him twice so my opinion isn't that of a very experienced concert goer. The time I saw him in Houston I couldn't hear him that great and the time i saw them in San Antonio there was really no rasp (there was occasionally I think) but the voice he used worked for most of the songs and it sounded good from the crowd. My two buddy's who went thought he sounded good and they have nothing rly to compare it too other then radio hit singles everyone knows. (Well I did drown them in Chinese for awhile and it actually grew on them lol. They both like TIL and twat one really likes ITW)

I like to be close to the stage and apart from the slower songs, in some venues you can hardly hear Axl. Especially big arenas when the main speakers are practically above you.

I do think that his voice is suited for arenas and his mickey voice suits the songs better in that atmosphere than compressed youtube clips.

Axl's epic screams for his epic sized arenas go hand in hand.

• Like 1

I have seen GNR twice and one of the shows I saw was the LA Forum show

One thing I noticed when I was at the Forum show was that Axl's vocals were represented pretty well to what I remembered when I saw it live. So my theory is that either people are so caught up with the show that they don't notice or that the shows are loud and the imperfections of Axl's voals can be a little more concealed live where your ears are trying to digest all of the sound that is coming at them

Of course it sounds better. Not only does it sound better live, but each video sounds different too. Not just his voice either, everything. For example london 2012. The proshot doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did live. Can barely even hear the guitars at times

If someone was at a 2010 concert and at a recent one I don't believe there's a reason compelling enough for them to suggest his vocals are anything like they were then.

His vocals sound decent right now, I think he'll get up to a 2012 standard where many shows were good, not great for AXL cause of his insanely high standards he's set but it's certainly no crime. South America was pretty sad to listen to though, everyone attending a GNR show looks forward and enjoys it but being a hardcore of a band means you invest a lot deeper than having a good time at a single show.

It's so variable- if you're there, it depends where you're positioned. If its youtube, it depends on the position of the taper, the type of recorder, the position of the recorder and how it's facing, etc.

I don't think a general conclusion can be drawn, other than the audio engineers are optimizing the vocals for those in attendance, not for capture on cell phone.

Logic follows that if the mickey mouse voice only presents itself on youtube (whether pro shot or not) then 90s shows on YouTube should also exhibit the same result. We know that's not true. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that people who report non-MM voice at a show that later provides evidence to the contrary, are just caught up in the adrenaline rush and their reports are emotionally-based. I noticed a big difference between 2002 Axl and 2006 Axl when I attended both shows. I was consciously listening for the difference at both shows.

• Like 1

Logic follows that if the mickey mouse voice only presents itself on youtube (whether pro shot or not) then 90s shows on YouTube should also exhibit the same result. We know that's not true. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that people who report non-MM voice at a show that later provides evidence to the contrary, are just caught up in the adrenaline rush and their reports are emotionally-based. I noticed a big difference between 2002 Axl and 2006 Axl when I attended both shows. I was consciously listening for the difference at both shows.

I'm young so I'm honestly asking. The shows I've seen from the 90s like say Tokyo DVD when Axl was struggling he went full on harsh rasp (which didn't sound like the studio vocals but it sounded fierce as fuk because his voice was so strong?) and now when he's struggling he turns on the "Micky" which to most is not pleasing on a recorded video. Does anyone else think this to be true?

I think that when attending concerts you really get caught up actually enjoying the show rather than have the chance to analyze how he sounds. Plus it's so loud and amazing that it don't really matter ;)

Speak for yourself
I was. Please speak for yourself.

Sounds the same to me live as he does on YouTube, i.e. I can clearly tell the difference between the '10 shows I went to and everything since. Abu Dhabi 2013 was a low point for me, though my family and friend who came with me really enjoyed the show. There was a huge difference for me between Atlantic City '12 and Glasgow '12. Atlantic City was the last time I was really impressed by Axl. Buenos Aires '14 I had a great time because of the crowd and Duff. I remember being disappointed by the London '12 shows since the London '10 shows blew me away (and he came on an hour after in '12 than in '10).

I don't notice DJ's fuck-ups as much, with the notable exception of the Patience solo in Buenos Aires.

The 2010 shows were the best gigs I have ever been to. I still enjoy the shows, though in 2012 I couldn't get into songs like Sorry and Madagascar without any vocal power behind them, and the lack of setlist changes was pissing me off (apart from Civil War and Estranged, which were great to hear).

Seen Prince and NIN in the past week, thought they sounded amazing (was cool hearing Robin on backing vocals for Trent). Impressed with Springsteen at the 3 shows I've been to, I can tell when he's a bit off but for the most part he sounds great to me and his physical performance is unbelievable. Thought Mick sang well when I saw the Stones last year. It's just that Axl had such a distinctive voice, it's sorely missed when it isn't there :( It'd be like if Tom Waits tried to sing without rasp, the rasp is that integral to his vocal identity.

Edited by Amir

The difference is live his voice soars through the speakers. I could tell when he rasped it up, Nightrain and This I Love especially. When I saw them I could totally tell when he was Mickey, but the giant ass speakers gave him power. When you hear the recording that power is gone and that's why it just doesn't sound as good.

The difference is live his voice soars through the speakers. I could tell when he rasped it up, Nightrain and This I Love especially. When I saw them I could totally tell when he was Mickey, but the giant ass speakers gave him power. When you hear the recording that power is gone and that's why it just doesn't sound as good.

What if we hear a pro shot or soundboard and we can tell he sounds like shit? :takethat:

What if when crappy quality boots popped up in 2010, but we can tell he is AMAZING?

Oh c'mon there is absolutely no reason to defend Axl when he sound like a fart

You can hear his clean voice live, but it doesn't sound very Mickey like. It's just clean. But you know it won't translate to YouTube the same way you hear it. You can hear Axl use rasp also and it doesn't sound quite as good as it does on videos.

The easiest thing to tell is when he uses power and when he's singing soft. When he uses power you have no choice but to applaud. Axl's vocal power is overwhelming! Even post 50 he still has his moments and it makes the concert worth going to.

What if we hear a pro shot or soundboard and we can tell he sounds like shit? :takethat:

What if when crappy quality boots popped up in 2010, but we can tell he is AMAZING?

Oh c'mon there is absolutely no reason to defend Axl when he sound like a fart

I...didn't defend Axl? I mean, I'm a nutter. Totally. But what I'm saying is those house speakers make the Mickey voice a lot more powerful and you just don't get the same sound on YouTube. It's a lot more balanced on YouTube and you can hear the shortcomings. Live, though, even when he's Mickeying it up, the speakers are so loud it gives it power it really doesn't have.

Yes and no...yes, there is a difference where hearing it live sounds a lot better than on the videos, but no, it doesn't mean he's always at the top of his game and that the recordings are to blame for the weaker shows.