Is Axl's Voice Really Better Live Than Whats in the Videos(of the same concert)?

No, if it sounds weak in the video it's not going to dramatically change with better sound... the only difference is that at the gig you will be contending with a really high levels of volume so your critical listening is thrown out the window really, unless the drummer messes up or something, usually you can't heartoo well at a guns show especially up front.

No, it's not better live. If you're paying attention, you can tell when he's shit. But most of the time he's hard to hear above the rest of the instruments, so you can't tell much if you're just jamming out to the song. Problem with that, though, is that you're not hearing the one guy you came to hear.

The three shows I've seen with GNR, Axl has sounded amazing.

I think the best show was the Dallas House of Blues last year. It was a smaller venue and it has terrific sound. My son was in the pit and he said Axl sounded awesome. I was in the balcony with my daughter. The sound was great and Axl sounded and looked awesome too. the band sounded great and it looked like everyone was having a blast. I know from where I was sitting I could see the fans going crazy. Dallas fans love Axl and GNR!

If someone was at a 2010 concert and at a recent one I don't believe there's a reason compelling enough for them to suggest his vocals are anything like they were then.

His vocals sound decent right now, I think he'll get up to a 2012 standard where many shows were good, not great for AXL cause of his insanely high standards he's set but it's certainly no crime. South America was pretty sad to listen to though, everyone attending a GNR show looks forward and enjoys it but being a hardcore of a band means you invest a lot deeper than having a good time at a single show.

i saw them in 2010 and back then he was absolutely powehouse it was amazing and his vocals were great and i was blown away by TIL back then. Then i saw them in 2012 and he sure had his moments like Live and Let Die he was doing epic and TIL was pretty awesome too but on november rain and YCBM and stuff you could clearly hear the difference but in 2012 he sounded damn well too i only missed the power in his voice for PC and YCBM

• Like 1

If you're paying attention, you can tell when he's shit.

Yeah, I was paying attention in 2012 and he sounded like shit. Videos on the net from that year were no different.

This.

I was paying attention in 2010 and he sounded exactly like I thought he'd sound. EXACTLY. I knew how he'd sound before the show because I watched a lot of pretty decent clips and bootlegs. Yes, I used to care.

Could somebody point me toward a cell phone recording of the band from the early 1990s? I'd like to compare the recordings to make sure we're getting all the same audio frequencies from then and now. I'm only asking because 1) despite it being 2014, I can't understand half the words coming from about half the people I'm talking to on my cell phone and have to guess what they are saying because it is insanely compressed and muffled due to all frequencies above 7k hz being incomplete (to say the least), and 2) see #1.

I'm no audio expert, but I think it would be wise to not base an opinion of a live performance on a cell phone recording. Want to talk about pro recordings? Look at the frequencies in the audio before you judge, please. Recent "pro" recordings were so compresed we missed out on most frequencies above 8k hz. What's in that range? Guitar fuzz, Axl rasp, etc....kinda important.

Many of you are basing your opinions of the band's live performances on absolutely horrible recordings. Look at that little dot on your phone that records audio. It compresses it, and then it is again compressed for the purposes of display on Youtube. That little dot is the reason many of you are bitching. A dot, ffs. And if it was recorded on a Sprint phone, double f*cked. Good luck understanding anyone using a Sprint phone.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, and willing to take my punishment from any audio experts who have compared YT videos to an actual live performance. Tell me I'm wrong.

I saw him in 2006 and 2010. He sounded awesome at both shows and also YouTube clips. Look at him during the show I saw in 2010, so strong and energetic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxdWRE4VvY.

YouTube clips don't give him justice sometimes but it's still obvious when he sucks and when he's on fire.

Edited by Sisyphus

1) despite it being 2014, I can't understand half the words coming from about half the people I'm talking to on my cell phone and have to guess what they are saying because it is insanely compressed and muffled due to all frequencies above 7k hz being incomplete (to say the least), and 2) see #1.

I'm no audio expert, but I think it would be wise to not base an opinion of a live performance on a cell phone recording. Want to talk about pro recordings? Look at the frequencies in the audio before you judge, please. Recent "pro" recordings were so compresed we missed out on most frequencies above 8k hz. What's in that range? Guitar fuzz, Axl rasp, etc....kinda important.

Many of you are basing your opinions of the band's live performances on absolutely horrible recordings. Look at that little dot on your phone that records audio. It compresses it, and then it is again compressed for the purposes of display on Youtube. That little dot is the reason many of you are bitching. A dot, ffs. And if it was recorded on a Sprint phone, double f*cked. Good luck understanding anyone using a Sprint phone.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, and willing to take my punishment from any audio experts who have compared YT videos to an actual live performance. Tell me I'm wrong.

1. When talking to someone on a cell phone, you are hearing audio going through a basic compression, air signal, and reception path. In other words, the audio is the worst bit rate.. maybe 24kb/s. When phones are recording at shows, they are not transmitting the audio over this system - instead they are just recording audio to the phone. Granted, it's still not the same audio quality as a dedicated mic placement, or mixer board recording, but it's still not being compressed the same way as a true phone conversation.

2. We don't have 'cell phone recordings' from the 90s, but we do have handycam and such on the net with similar or less comparable quality gear to record audio. They are fairly representative of Axl's voice when you compare them to live TV, Pro Shot, and even in person acoustic recordings (yesterdays with West, and the small acoustic gig at the Whisky? where they played One In A Million) of that period.

3. Additionally, compare today's proshot videos with cell phone recordings of the same concert, and you will see they are accurate.

I get and respect what you are saying, zepsun, and would like to do a proper comparative analysis. Since Axl's voice is the reason for debate, I assume the guitars (in contrast to the vocals) at the pro-shot shows sound high quality and I should compare those to studio recordings. Then, if they were captured really well, I can get a better sense of how bad Axl sounds.

Could you (or someone else) point me toward a live show recording from the last 5 years where the guitars sounded exceptionally good but Axl sounded like crap? I tested Rio 2011 This I Love, and Axl (and the guitars) got the shaft on that one pretty bad.

Also, my cell phone must suck. I just recorded some of Axl's isolated vocals from Better with it, then compared the frequencies. They don't look anything alike above 6k hz, and the recording is missing a bunch of the rasp.

Edited by evader

Cell phone camera adds ten pounds too. Less bloated in person.

Cell phones really don't capture what a good mood Axl is in. Or his jokes. I wouldn't be surprised if cell phones were a vast conspiracy spearheaded by $lash to make Axl look bad.

Cell phone camera adds ten pounds too. Less bloated in person.

Cell phones really don't capture what a good mood Axl is in. Or his jokes. I wouldn't be surprised if cell phones were a vast conspiracy spearheaded by $lash to make Axl look bad.

According to DJ ashba, they also dont capture the song order.

<p>Could somebody point me toward a cell phone recording of the band from the early 1990s? I'd like to compare the recordings to make sure we're getting all the same audio frequencies from then and now. I'm only asking because 1) despite it being <strong>2014</strong>, I can't understand half the words coming from about half the people I'm talking to on my cell phone and have to guess what they are saying because it is insanely compressed and muffled due to all frequencies above 7k hz being incomplete (to say the least), and 2) see #1.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm no audio expert, but I think it would be wise to not base an opinion of a live performance on a cell phone recording. Want to talk about pro recordings? Look at the frequencies in the audio before you judge, please. Recent "pro" recordings were so compresed we missed out on most frequencies above 8k hz. What's in that range? Guitar fuzz, Axl rasp, etc....kinda important.</p> <p> </p> <p>Many of you are basing your opinions of the band's live performances on absolutely horrible recordings. Look at that little dot on your phone that records audio. It compresses it, and then it is again compressed for the purposes of display on Youtube. That little dot is the reason many of you are bitching. A dot, ffs. And if it was recorded on a Sprint phone, double f*cked. Good luck understanding anyone using a Sprint phone.</p> <p> </p> <p>Like I said, I'm not an expert, and willing to take my punishment from any audio experts who have compared YT videos to an actual live performance. Tell me I'm wrong.</p>

Then why in 2010 Axl's rasp was under 8k hz?