True Detective Season 2 Discussion

RussTCB

Oh my God. These are AWFUL decisons for the second season. Vince Vaughan is absolutely terrible in every aspect of acting. This season may bomb and will never live up to season one. The writing had better be off the charts in order for this to work.

Meh, still going to keep an open mind. I'm a fan of Vaughan's and I think he can nail certain roles (much like Farrell).

It's important to remember that McConaughey was casted when almost everyone considered him a washed up rom-com actor. Most only consider him a serious actor as a result of TD and movies he made after TD. Perhaps the producers know something we don't, specifically about the roles Farrell and Vaughan will play.

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with Vince Vaughn in the series. He's not playing a detective, he's playing a politician and probably an eccentric politician at that.

It's not so far out of his wheelhouse and it's not like settling for a B list star like Colin Farrell or Taylor Kitsch (he's probably only a few days away from announcement).

As far as Vince Vaughn exclusively playing a clown, how many of you need to go find The Cell on Netflix? I swear, the nightmarish image of Vincent Donofrio's serial killer pulling Vaughn's intestines out on a brass rack will NEVER leave me. I puked in my lap once when I was watching it with my pals.

• Like 1

Matthew McConaughey used to be comic relief too. Now he is a serious actor. Vince will be fine. I am more worried about the women casting. Michelle Monaham is one of the few good female castings I've seen on television in awhile along with Kelly Macdonald and Gretchen Mol. I hope they get anyone but Jennifer Anniston. Can't stand that bitch.

• Like 2

Matthew McConaughey started with awful films and then made serious roles which he excelled upon, like Contact and Frailty(both excellent films) and then he made awful romantic comedies. He just retuned to what he was good at lately.

Vince Vaughn just made awful serious movies(if their good, he's the flaw) and then excelled in the comedy genre.

Edited by MEXzilla

Vince!!!

You know your money baby, look at you, you don't even know how money you are, but that's what makes you so money, you know you're money, i love you.

He probably went for a role of a cop think he could tailcoat this bitch but they gave him a Fred Claus role.

McC did do The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), Bernie (2011), Killer Joe (2011), The Paperboy (2012), Mud (2012),Magic Mike (2012)

before TD though.

Vince has just done The Dilemma, The Watch and The Internship which are kind of just average family guy shit.

Wait does a politician get killed in the first ep? Vince won't last long?

Edited by wasted

But really, he's a decent actor, just not a movie star. He belongs in strongly-drawn character parts. When he's not engaged it's painfully obvious and he doesn't have enough charisma to cruise on.

Vaughan is underrated, but he's been doing such dismal work for so long that people have forgotten he's capable of more (Swingers, Clay Pigeons, Into the Wild). I just hope the Jessica Biel rumors don't pan out, they need a more prestigious actress for the third lead now.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

On a side note, I was listening to a podcast and the guy lives on the same street as Vaughn and had just hung out with him after a bbq. He said that in real life Vince is one of the nicest, friendliest, down-to-earth and non-egotistical people he's ever met, especially in the movie business.

I don't know how much I like the idea of multiple directors. I mean, any other regular series has multiple directors, sure. But part of what made season one so great is that it was the brainchild of a single director and executive producer.

I DO LOVE the idea of WIlliam Friedkin directing a couple episodes. Imagine the spooky overtones of The Exorcist mixed with the muscle of The French Connection & To Live and Die in L.A.?

Seems tailor made for something like True Detective. Nevermind that everything Friedkin has done for twenty years has been pretty much poison. The dude has talent, he just needs to defer to Nicky for the shape of the story.

Which brings me to my next point; I've read that Nic Pizzolato is so autocratic that it's hard to work with the guy. He doesn't mince words, is hard to know and clashed a lot with Cary Fukanaga, who is a very passive art-school type of fellow and Nic is not.

Could these multiple directors be in place so Nic's influence over the material doesn't come into conflict with a director who wants to assert themselves completely?

I think a lot of the misdirection in TD was more down to the director than Pizzolattos script. The way the camera moved in on Marty as he said a certain line. Or filming Rust downing pills driving into the city with ominous music. Or lingering on the daughters 3 man game. Maybe that was the problem, each ep could haven been done with different director. Like the riot ep could have had Michael Mann. Fincher could have done ep 4.

• Like 1

Not that bothered by the cast selections. Since the last episode destroyed the entire season anyway I don't care nearly as much about it anymore. Shame.

nor did it give you what you deserved in the end.

Didn't you read the memo from GNR? fans doesn't deserve anything and should just be happy or find another show. :P

But was that the director or the story? To be honest Galveston has similar misdirection. It's like badasses with hearts of gold.

Actually Vince and Colin are ambiguous. If Vince a slippery character that go against his type. Farrell is always dodgy as duck anyway.

I don't know how anyone can honestly blame Cary Fukanaga for the last episode, Nic wrote it and from what I understand, it wasn't written until a week or so before it was going to be filmed.

Imagine that? The ending wasn't written until they were locked into six or so episodes. Maybe there was an outline and that was enough for HBO, but this kind of Hollywood mentality where re-writes (or in this case, first-draft run throughs) leave production in limbo and always hinder the quality of the final product.

Why did HBO push TD back six months for season 2? They learned their lesson: you don't pull the turkey from the oven half-baked.

Maybe there was an ending where the whole Tuttle family was exposed and the greater conspiracy laid out? I certainly think they were building towards something else and here's my evidence:

-The very first scene in Episode one is two figures shrouded in darkness, carrying each other through a cane field as a huge fire rages in the background. This was obviously supposed to be a flash-forward and it was obviously supposed to be Rust and Marty, one of which is definitely wounded and is carrying the other. The only question nobody ever asked Cary or Nic is what the significance was of this scene and why it made it out of the editing room if it was part of some kind of aborted ending..

• Like 2