The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

the only time i watch football is during the world cups and i'm enjoying the shit out of these games

Maybe I'll give it a try, works with hockey at least when the finals are on. :)

It's exciting when there's goals or at least attempts. The Iran-Nigeria match was incredibly lethargic, in the post-match commentary they commented on how one Nigerian player could have just made a one-two pass at one point to get the ball up front, but instead made about 6 touches, passed it back, all before getting the ball back again and then finally passing it forward, by which time the Iranian defence had time to regroup. So yeah, that was a really boring match.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad for the late set piece. Have been a nice strength leading up to the tournament. Just hold on now. Jones and Beckerman playing great games. Brooks stepping up late here.

Agreed - an enjoyable game, with a few stand-out performances.

Altidore a big loss - wonder if they'll get Donovan on the old blower..

Portugal is going to be a tough match for USA. If they can come out of that game with at least a draw, it would be just about as good as a win, imo.

Yeah, a draw would put the US in a good position, especially if Germany beats Ghana as expected. Going into the final match with a 5 goal differential advantage over Portugal would be a great scenario.

I think England should revert to 4-4-2 and return to the tactic of, playing long balls to Crouchy.

Just for a laugh!

No, seriously you cannot play players out of position, i.e. square pegs, round holes. Roy, who I have liked thus far, actually had a poor game here with Wayne on the left; have we learnt nothing from the Sven era? I remember one particular match when the Swedish lothario had Becks as a central midfield holding defender, the 'Viera role'; I also recall a Sven experiment when we had Gerrad as a No 10! No, If you play Rooney, you play him in Sterling's position, or, not at all. It is that simple. And of course Sterling was terrific - man of the match for me, v Italy. You could of course play Wayne as a classic strike which, the boys from Man U (Rio Ferdinanad, etc. ) insist is actually Wayne's best position, but, that just shifts the problem to Sturridge. (Shearer says Wayne's best role is a No 10, Rio, a No 9 - the two disagree here).

I would not go with Rooney personally. I would go...

Sturridge

Wellbeck Sterling Lalana

By all means, chuck Wayne on as a sub but that is the formation England should start with.

Portugal is going to be a tough match for USA. If they can come out of that game with at least a draw, it would be just about as good as a win, imo.

Yeah, a draw would put the US in a good position, especially if Germany beats Ghana as expected. Going into the final match with a 5 goal differential advantage over Portugal would be a great scenario.

A tie would have the US in a more favorable than expected position, but not at all a comfortable position. Germany will likely blow through the US, and I could see Portugal beating Ghana by a couple scores.

Guest Len B'stard

I think England should revert to 4-4-2 and return to the tactic of, playing long balls to Crouchy.

Just for a laugh!

No, seriously you cannot play players out of position, i.e. square pegs, round holes. Roy, who I have liked thus far, actually had a poor game here with Wayne on the left; have we learnt nothing from the Sven era? I remember one particular match when the Swedish lothario had Becks as a central midfield holding defender, the 'Viera role'; I also recall a Sven experiment when we had Gerrad as a No 10! No, If you play Rooney, you play him in Sterling's position, or, not at all. It is that simple. And of course Sterling was terrific - man of the match for me, v Italy. You could of course play Wayne as a classic strike which, the boys from Man U (Rio Ferdinanad, etc. ) insist is actually Wayne's best position, but, that just shifts the problem to Sturridge. (Shearer says Wayne's best role is a No 10, Rio, a No 9 - the two disagree here).

I would not go with Rooney personally. I would go...

Sturridge

Wellbeck Sterling Lalana

By all means, chuck Wayne on as a sub but that is the formation England should start with.

Nah man, get Rooney and Chambo in there.

Are they allowed to do that?

I can't honestly remember at what point they can replace injured players - it may be post-group stage...

I believe they can replace them before the tournament, not during.

Used to be the case that you could - now it seems you can't. Shame!

I don't see the difference between 442 and 4231.

Basically Rooney plays behind the striker.

They should be playing a diamond anyway. Sterling behind Rooney and Sturridge. 3 def mids and play for 0-0.

4231 has the attackingosity of playing with 4 strikers whilst still keeping numbers in midfield, (unlike say a 424 where your 2 midfielders have to cover more ground)

They have tried the diamond several times before and it hasnt worked, Woy should stick to his guns.

I can see them lining up something like this:

Hart
Jones Cahill Jagielka Baines
Gerrard Wilshere
Sterling Rooney Lallana
Sturridge