Ask staff

UK SUBS

I think Subsy has a plan to keep everyone happy. :)

Subsy should become the Wizard of Oz, and have a scary projected face that shouts at people here who request anything too fancy on here.

We are all tin-men, scarecrows and cowardly lions at the end of the day. I am already categorising a few posters.. :)

Edited by Mysteron

Donate guys! It's only 5 bucks!

Maybe it's a bit of leftover teenage attitude here, but this is the part I don't like. I'd rather be told "The forum will simply close unless... " than get the feeling you're being bullied into donating with ads.

Ads which, come to think of it, are gone now. :huh:

Edited by username
  • Like 1

But I will say this. With this ad system you might force enough current members into donating to cover the costs. But you'll also stop any possible community growth. New people will not donate because they don't know what they're donating for. They'll also be so annoyed by all the ads popping up and what not that they'll leave. So there will be less new people and once the people that are sticking around feel the place is getting stale they might leave too. Which would even make the place shrink. Take that for what it is. It's just my opinion and in the end I don't make any calls here.

I haven't seen an ad since 8 years....

Adblock is a great tool my friend

Maybe it's a bit of leftover teenage attitude here, but this is the part I don't like. I'd rather be told "The forum will simply close unless... " than get the feeling you're being bullied into donating with ads.

Well, to be honest, the first time I donated which was in 2011 or 2012, was because of the ads. I couldn't stand the ad banner on top of the forum. Then all my donations have been solely because of the appreciation I have for the forum.

I do not believe in paying to use forums.

A forum is a free public space to air your views, and it has been that way since the Romans.

Please leave Invision and get some soul back here.

Oh for the love of god WE GET IT!!

Don't donate I don't care -- there's plenty if soul. New VIP section is awesome check it out! Oh..... :(

• Like 3

A forum is a free public space to air your views, and it has been that way since the Romans.

Don't donate I don't care -- there's plenty if soul. New VIP section is awesome check it out! Oh..... :(

I believe you have gone a little mad.

But I will just endure the adverts for whatever period they exist for :)

The old guard are forever watching, and will forever be here, so no worries.

I don't sense a teenage attitude, just a bitter one. I remember when you used to be funny cranky, now you're a miserable cranky. It took me 10 years to finally donate to the forum. Not something I ever would have considered while Eric was running it, and was just too lazy about opening a pay pal after Subs took over. Some people don't want this forum to close, even if it means so little to you. Yet you continue to come here often, converse with other members, share stories about your life, put up pictures of your vacations, it obviously means something to you. And yes, there's been a recent push for donations, hardly what I would consider a bully move, more like a genuine request for some help here. And what's wrong with that? What's the problem with helping out a friend, someone you've known on here for more than a decade? FFS, I just don't get your sour attitude at all.

• Like 3

Did you miss the part where he said that there would be no ads for all members (not just supporters) - with no donation required? That's unprecedented here.

The ads are only served to guests (non-logged in users) now. Thankyou Subsy for the very generous decision here. :)

Nothing in this life is free... Nothing. Why would anyone in this day and age continue to think it is? If you continue to demand to get something for free, that something will not continue to be available to you forever. That's just the way it is. Others have to pay to make things available to you. You get what you pay for.

True, no one had to pay money to attend the Roman Forums. But every now and then they did get to call for someone to be put to death or to take all their property! That must have been good fun! ~ almost like paying an entry fee I would say!

• Like 1

I don't sense a teenage attitude, just a bitter one. I remember when you used to be funny cranky, now you're a miserable cranky. It took me 10 years to finally donate to the forum. Not something I ever would have considered while Eric was running it, and was just too lazy about opening a pay pal after Subs took over. Some people don't want this forum to close, even if it means so little to you. Yet you continue to come here often, converse with other members, share stories about your life, put up pictures of your vacations, it obviously means something to you. And yes, there's been a recent push for donations, hardly what I would consider a bully move, more like a genuine request for some help here. And what's wrong with that? What's the problem with helping out a friend, someone you've known on here for more than a decade? FFS, I just don't get your sour attitude at all.

So basically I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on a new ad system because I'm not a paying member. Because that's what you're saying. Which is actually quite strange, because paying members don't actually see the ads. Aside from that, you're making this sound WAY more dramatic than it should be. The only thing I called bullying into donations were the incredibly annoying pop-up ads that made browsing the forum a horrible experience unless you'd pay for using it. I'm not against an ad banner or whatever. Multiple ones, fine too. Just that specific bit that ruined the forum is what I was talking about. I know I'm a stubborn opinionated bastard. After all, I've had 30 years of experience with being one. I feel I had good arguments to dislike it (other than, as you're putting it, being cheap) and I stand by them.

As far as being willing to donate to the forum, that's my decision and my business. I feel in no way obligated to defend it to anybody. Stop acting high and mighty about it since it took you, as you said, 10 years as well.

Of course you can voice your opinion. I'm just letting you know how that opinion is coming across. You made it everyone's business when you made several posts on the topic. As for me being dramatic, I'm not the one whining about some pop ups on an Internet forum. You don't want people to comment, put it in a pm.

Did you miss the part where he said that there would be no ads for all members (not just supporters) - with no donation required? That's unprecedented here.

The ads are only served to guests (non-logged in users) now. Thankyou Subsy for the very generous decision here. :)

Ahh, that's good then. Thanks