Goodbye Ron (???)

I wonder why people are pessimistic...

better to expect the worst and either be pleasantly surprised (or right) than to expect the best and be disappointed

Even better to expect what is most reasonable and hope for what is ideal.

of course, hoping for the best is important. but many people have different opinions on what is "reasonable", especially in this case, which is why i think a lot of us are coming off as pessimistic.

Sure, I agree that Axl's actions since the release of CD, or more precisely, his lack of talking about new music, isn't comforting. Yet, he has said he wants to focus on touring CD for a while and he has said recently that we will get more music and that two records are ready (although I personally doubt they are really ready, I suspect Axl just need to tweak them a little bit....).

i'm talking more in general though. but i see your point. i haven't really been following what Axl's been saying about new music or whatever. all i really knew was that they were planning on putting out two new albums. but i'm not sitting here anticipating anything big in the next while. i haven't been a fan long enough to know what it's like when the band puts out new music anyway, so i don't know what to expect. so maybe the lack of news for the new albums is what is making me doubt anything big is going to happen anytime soon. i'm expecting a ton of touring before anything is put out.

I wonder why people are pessimistic...

better to expect the worst and either be pleasantly surprised (or right) than to expect the best and be disappointed

BUT U MUST HAS TERRIBLE LIVE.

It is likely to assume that at least some of those that are pessimistic in regards to new music is also in general of a pessimistic nature, and of those it is likely that at least some are generally pessimistic because that's what life has taught them (so far).

Of course. Speaking for myself, I'm just pessimistic due to the lack of any concrete information or evidence that a new album may be released in the next 50 years. Sure Axl mentioned he's willing to release more music, even though "definite maybe" doesn't fill me with confidence either. Odds are 50/50 I'd say. Like I said in another thread, judging by the AFD-themed tours, the focus on touring, the possible departure of Ron, a reunion of some sorts seems more likely.

Can't blame you for assuming things about me/others from reading posts about GNR. If you read my posts about other bands I love, you'll see a different side.

That's strangely nice to hear. I must become fond of you. Regardless, the "definite maybe" was about whether we'd hear new music in 2013 (?) and not about new music later. I also think we ought to focus on what he said most recently and the fact that he hasn't said anything about NOT releasing new music in the future, hence his statements from prior to 2008 sort of stands. We also know how ridiculously late and inept he is at executing his plans.

Yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say is: Not expecting a new album ever again is not unreasonable at all. Actually it's the best approach when it comes to GNR. Expect nothing. Hell, it's even in your sign! Call me a pessimist, but the lack of info, the nostalgia tours, an AFD-themed DVD, the instability of the band/management/Axl himself don't allow me to have 0,0001% hope. A new album would be cool, even if it sucks. Just don't see the planets aligning to make it possible.

I am the biggest advocate of lowering one's expectations and I believe a lot of the negativity here stems from people expecting too much, but believing we will never hear new music from GN'R ever again is just too unrealistic. The only way that could happen were if Axl destroyed all tapes before dying, because there is definitely new music in existence and there will definitely be people who will want to get some money for it.

Edited by SoulMonster

Bumblefoot

Buckethead

Robin

(Slash even - although there are other reasons with him).

They all left for one reason, that reason being Axl's lazyness in the studio. All these guys probably joined GN'R with the best intentions: to make new Guns N' Roses music. They all were disillusioned. Axl is never going to release music again.

No matter how many times you repeat the mantra of Axl never going to release music again, the truth is there is still a very good chance he'll release music again.

I've said it before: Axl is always late. That doesn't mean he won't get to it eventually. He seems interested in releasing at least the leftovers. Beyond CD ll and what's left in the vault - I'm skeptical, but why would Axl release just half of the work? at the very least he'll get CD ll out imo.

I agree completely. There are too many pessimistic curmudgeons here. Cheer up. For each year that passes we are one year closer to hearing new music ;) No one said this wasn't an endurance race.

But you are missing the point. This is not the, ''I want to release a trilogy'' 1999-2002 Axl and certainly not the ''I want to bury Appetite'' vintage Axl of long ago. This is Vegas cash grabbing greatest hits Axl.

But you are missing the point. This is not the, ''I want to release a trilogy'' 1999-2002 Axl and certainly not the ''I want to bury Appetite'' vintage Axl of long ago. This is Vegas cash grabbing greatest hits Axl.

but why??? The guy has 150 mil

Bumblefoot

Buckethead

Robin

(Slash even - although there are other reasons with him).

They all left for one reason, that reason being Axl's lazyness in the studio. All these guys probably joined GN'R with the best intentions: to make new Guns N' Roses music. They all were disillusioned. Axl is never going to release music again.

No matter how many times you repeat the mantra of Axl never going to release music again, the truth is there is still a very good chance he'll release music again.

I've said it before: Axl is always late. That doesn't mean he won't get to it eventually. He seems interested in releasing at least the leftovers. Beyond CD ll and what's left in the vault - I'm skeptical, but why would Axl release just half of the work? at the very least he'll get CD ll out imo.

I agree completely. There are too many pessimistic curmudgeons here. Cheer up. For each year that passes we are one year closer to hearing new music ;) No one said this wasn't an endurance race.

Wanting to release a trilogy (later reduced to a double album) or wanting to bury appetite (when he was about to release UYI back like 20 years ago) really isn't mutually exclusive with doing residencies in Las Vegas in 2014. It is just YOU who feel the latter is so abhorrent it cannot possible be compatible with our subjective ideas of what GN'R is and should be.

but why??? The guy has 150 mil

We don't know that though.

Case in point - Michael Jackson

• Like 1

There was a switch at some point from a progressive band with weirdos like Buckethead in the ranks, Chinese orientated imagery and the desire to produce music, to a band with a cock rocker (Ashba), play Vegas with strippers and flog skeleton t-shirts. Surely you are not so blind that you cannot see the change?

• Like 2

There was a switch at some point from a progressive band with weirdos like Buckethead in the ranks, Chinese orientated imagery and the desire to produce music, to a band with a cock rocker (Ashba), play Vegas with strippers and flog skeleton t-shirts. Surely you are not so blind that you cannot see the change?

You put too much importance in the Vegas thing. It doesn't preclude a new release from happening.

I never going to support the, playing of Vegas residencies by Guns. To me, Vegas is the graveyard of artists. Too many associations with the decline of Presley.

But it's nothing. How does it change technically what Axl can do as an artist? maybe you're strictly talking about image here, but really, nowdays a lot of bands do that shit.

Anyway, he can perform only in Vegas and still pump out new albums. I'm not crazy about the Vegas thing myself, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Vegas usually means, you have decided to stop putting out albums and are just a nostalgia act. That is a fact. But let's say you are right, let's say that they do release an album. Just what would that album be like? It might consist of a bunch of Ashba hair rockers and be dressed in a garish Crue style album cover - as - this is how GN'R market themselves these days.

• Like 1

Vegas usually means, you have decided to stop putting out albums and are just a nostalgia act. That is a fact. But let's say you are right, let's say that they do release an album. Just what would that album be like? It might consist of a bunch of Ashba hair rockers and be dressed in a garish Crue style album cover - as - this is how GN'R market themselves these days.

If I had to guess, I'd say it would mostly sound like Chinese, with a few Ashba tunes peppered in. Maybe a few Fortus numbers as well.

Vegas is cool because it gives fans an opportunity to see 2-3 shows without having to travel from city to city.

I don't think Vegas - on its own - is a bad thing at all. It's just when you mix it in with the fact that they haven't progressed as a band at all over the past five years.

How cool would this be? GnR - Vegas - 2015 - 12 shows

Monday/Friday show - Guns play new album in entirety

Wednesday/Saturday show - normal set-list

My boy Coma gets tired of me saying this. But I really think it is this simple. Put out an album ever 3-4 years. And do a couple interviews a year. That would eliminate 85.38% of the negativity surrounding the band.

• Like 1

Vegas is cool because it gives fans an opportunity to see 2-3 shows without having to travel from city to city.

I don't think Vegas - on its own - is a bad thing at all. It's just when you mix it in with the fact that they haven't progressed as a band at all over the past five years.

My boy Coma gets tired of me saying this. But I really think it is this simple. Put out an album ever 3-4 years. And do a couple interviews a year. That would eliminate 85.38% of the negativity surrounding the band.

We'll be lucky to get one album every 8 years.

Your problem with the band, them not releasing albums, is inherent with them playing Vegas. Although true that the physical aspect of playing Vegas should not necessarily be construed as a negative one, Vegas, tends to, indicate a band that is content to sell nostalgia forevermore and shut up shop on the album front. Bands usually do not promote albums through Vegas residencies: they do not release a new album and then head to Vegas for three months. The ideal for a band is, them being on the road on the back of a new release (remember that feeling, of buying the album then seeing them live in your locality?). Vegas disrupts this pattern. Vegas should be nuked - as I said, the graveyard of artists.

• Like 1

I'm more tired of you saying ONE ALBUM IN 22 YEARS lol ;)

Your problem with the band, them not releasing albums, is inherent with them playing Vegas. Although true that the physical aspect of playing Vegas should not necessarily be construed as a negative one, Vegas, tends to, indicate a band that is content to sell nostalgia forevermore and shut up shop on the album front. Bands usually do not promote albums through Vegas residencies: they do not release a new album and then head to Vegas for three months. The ideal for a band is, them being on the road on the back of a new release (remember that feeling, of buying the album then seeing them live in your locality?). Vegas disrupts this pattern. Vegas should be nuked - as I said, the graveyard of artists.

But DJ lives in Vegas. Are you saying you want to nuke DJ? :max:

I'm more tired of you saying ONE ALBUM IN 22 YEARS lol ;)

I think we are on year 23 now!!!!

• Like 1

im with diesel on this one. vegas residencies are where bands go to rest on their career and make as much money possible off of tourists coming into vegas to gamble. vegas is synonymous with washed up bands, who want to cash in for one last big payday.

• Like 1

Put it this way, no one would complain if they came back with a new record and did a Vegas residency and ditched the AFD associations, sure by all fucking means PLAY Jungle, Nightrain, Brownstone, Paradise, SCOM but do some new shiz and a vegas stint is fine, it's more a symptom of the stalemate Axl's got going on for a long time. I know the mystery is alluring but we don't even know if he has or intends to work on anything new since 2006 ya know, the Here's Another Tour thing, same regurgitated quotes, BBF snakes n' ladders... at least we got a rare illusion track and rare CD tracks, still backwards progress but it was something and Axl sounded more like his superlative self.

I also get that mayhap Axl was insecure about sales but Guns N' Roses name plus Axl Rose then hearing they're playing the radio hits, doesn't matter what record he plays, the casuals will continue to flock.

im with diesel on this one. vegas residencies are where bands go to rest on their career and make as much money possible off of tourists coming into vegas to gamble. vegas is synonymous with washed up bands, who want to cash in for one last big payday.

guns n roses isn't a washed up band but at the vegas residency the majority of songs played was the classics which made guns n roses famous from the beginning. and that's what bands near the end do or what bands do when they have no plans to release any more new cds do when playing a vegas residency. but this shouldn't fit guns n roses today. since the majority of the guys in guns n roses are NEW and not originals like slash duff and steven adler

But the frustration is understandable. No need to mock fans who are impatient.

I could see why though, if you've been following this band long enough... they really should know better than to lose patience.

I see it more are just cowed (or bored) into accepting this preposterous situation. I don't know anyone is less frustrated, just hard to care.