Legendary artists/bands who have never appealed to you.

Towelie

Bruce Springsteen-talk about overrated

Michael Jackson- avg. Singer and pretty much made himself a career from music videos.

The Beatles- 3 avg. singer/song writers. Never will understand the fascination with these guys.

Metallica- I only the black album, cause it's when they decided to write good music.

Many more ...I'll post later.

lol

The Black Album was shittacular. Kill 'Em All is a masterpiece, Ride The Lightning is great, and Mast Of Puppets and ...And Justice For All are good. Metallica are a thrash band - The Black Album ain't thrash. It's commercial, radio-friendly shit.

Commercial in this case means a lot of people liked it , while before and after that album they were a trash band.

Bruce Springsteen-talk about overrated

Michael Jackson- avg. Singer and pretty much made himself a career from music videos.

The Beatles- 3 avg. singer/song writers. Never will understand the fascination with these guys.

Metallica- I only the black album, cause it's when they decided to write good music.

Many more ...I'll post later.

Michael Jackson is an average singer? Seriously? Say what you like about his music and his lifestyle, but the man had an incredible voice.

Yeah, one of the more fuckin' ridiculous things I've heard stated, average singer, really?!?! The boy could sing better at 10 years old than most of his peers and his peers were the greatest soul and rhythm and blues singers ever born.

you're absolutely right...he was a great singer at 10 years old....but not when he was an adult

How can one have an incredible voice and not make anything incredible with it? That imo means he was only avg. many imitators came afterwards and pretty much made as much good music as he did. Seriously this guy imo was a less talented Marvin Gaye.

Plenty of people think Michael Jackson did some pretty incredible music with that voice of his.

Seriously, are some of you smoking crack?

And plenty of people think otherwise, so what? I just happen to be the other half who think that MJ ain't nothing special. Imo he just became a legend because of the music video, not because he was so talented.

Oh wait I forgot his legendary work with the Jackson 5 lmao.

Edited by MEXzilla
  • Like 2

Plenty of people think Michael Jackson did some pretty incredible music with that voice of his.

And plenty of people think otherwise, so what? I just happen to be the other half who think that MJ ain't nothing special. Imo he just became a legend because of the music video, not because he was so talented.

But he was a star before music videos were a big thing. Also, i think the point Towelies trying to make is directly to do with singing ability, you really can't call him a bad singer, you can dislike his voice but the functional aspect of being able to hit all kindsa notes and registers, he was pretty fuckin' good y'know, i ain't even a fan. I get your point, if you don't like the way a voice sounds he can hit notes all fuckin' day long you ain't gonna like it but Towelies perspective is hardly redundant.

How can one have an incredible voice and not make anything incredible with it?

By picking the wrong tunes for your talents?

That imo means he was only avg. many imitators came afterwards and pretty much made as much good music as he did. Seriously this guy imo was a less talented Marvin Gaye.

I agree in the case of Marv.

• Like 1

It's one thing to dislike an artist, but to make claims that are just blatantly untrue when a certain artist like Michael Jackson could do pretty much anything with his voice makes your opinion kind of invalid, and if anything, shows how ignorant you are towards music in general.

Michael Jackson, for one, had an incredible range, was capable of pretty much any vocal technique, could beatbox and sing at the same time, knew how to figure out how to harmonize with himself in pretty much every key imaginable and mimic the character of a lot of instruments. There's plenty of artists that can do one or two of these things, but there's not many out there capable of mastering everything.

On top of that he's written pop songs, rock songs, gospel songs, disco, R&B, soul, and was capable of blending every music style, whether current or from the past. into his own music, and was on top of the world for over a decade. Compare this to most pop artists who have a career of maybe 2 or 3 albums until they vanish into obscurity.

A song like Black Or White has hip hop, rock, funk and a bit of jazz in it, and you say it's not incredible? That he was average? If he was so average, why hasn't anyone been capable of doing the same? It's been over 50 years since a man like that was born. But yeah, nothing special, right? It's one thing not to like the songs and not to like the vocals, but you don't need to be a fan of certain artists to be capable of appreciating what they're capable of doing. The only reason why his career went downhill was because the decisions he made in his personal life got in the way of his own musical creativity. Not because the novelty of his videos wore off or something like that.

The same goes for people saying The Beatles were average songwriters. They've written songs with such impeccable hooks and melody lines that are still rarely matched today by anyone. Some people write one, two, maybe 10 songs like that over a 40 year career. The Beatles wrote about 50 in about 10 years. I can understand people saying they like the songs when performed by others, I can understand people saying they don't like what The Beatles sounded like, but saying they were average songwriters is, once again, sheer ignorance.

Personally, I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. I admire him for what he does, how he's mixing up setlists, plays for 3 to 4 hours, has almost always stayed true to what he likes as opposed to what he thinks his audience likes, but I just can't get into him, nor the sound of his band. It's just not for me.

• Like 2

It's one thing to dislike an artist, but to make claims that are just blatantly untrue when a certain artist like Michael Jackson could do pretty much anything with his voice makes your opinion kind of invalid, and if anything, shows how ignorant you are towards music in general.

Michael Jackson, for one, had an incredible range, was capable of pretty much any vocal technique, could beatbox and sing at the same time, knew how to figure out how to harmonize with himself in pretty much every key imaginable and mimic the character of a lot of instruments. There's plenty of artists that can do one or two of these things, but there's not many out there capable of mastering everything.

On top of that he's written pop songs, rock songs, gospel songs, disco, R&B, soul, and was capable of blending every music style, whether current or from the past. into his own music, and was on top of the world for over a decade. Compare this to most pop artists who have a career of maybe 2 or 3 albums until they vanish into obscurity.

A song like Black Or White has hip hop, rock, funk and a bit of jazz in it, and you say it's not incredible? That he was average? If he was so average, why hasn't anyone been capable of doing the same? It's been over 50 years since a man like that was born. But yeah, nothing special, right? It's one thing not to like the songs and not to like the vocals, but you don't need to be a fan of certain artists to be capable of appreciating what they're capable of doing. The only reason why his career went downhill was because the decisions he made in his personal life got in the way of his own musical creativity. Not because the novelty of his videos wore off or something like that.

The same goes for people saying The Beatles were average songwriters. They've written songs with such impeccable hooks and melody lines that are still rarely matched today by anyone. Some people write one, two, maybe 10 songs like that over a 40 year career. The Beatles wrote about 50 in about 10 years. I can understand people saying they like the songs when performed by others, I can understand people saying they don't like what The Beatles sounded like, but saying they were average songwriters is, once again, sheer ignorance.

Personally, I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. I admire him for what he does, how he's mixing up setlists, plays for 3 to 4 hours, has almost always stayed true to what he likes as opposed to what he thinks his audience likes, but I just can't get into him, nor the sound of his band. It's just not for me.

MJ is an avg. singer, there are many others who can technically sing good(Justin Timberlake, Usher, etc.) but that's doesn't make you anything special. It's about the songs you sing and the quality of the sound, MJ can sing but it sounds like the run of the mill pop singer. I can honestly say that Usher could sing every MJ song and he would make it justice but if he tried singing, Marvin Gaye or Sam Cooke, he would fail miserably. Now that doesn't mean he's a bad singer but it does mean he's nothing special amongst the greats.

Now the Beatles wrote nice melodies and fun songs, like most bands/singers of their time. I wouldn't put them anywhere near the greatest lyricist list and musically, again I hate to sound so negative towards your taste but their just ok.

All this of course is opinion.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the fuck Avenged Sevenfold are doing in this thread because there is nothing even remotely legendary about them.

Unless you mean legendary at being 21st century poseurs in the vein of DJ Ashba

Anyone that deliberately calls themselves M.Shadows, Zacky Vengeance, Synyster Gates, Johnny Christ and The Rev are nothing but a bunch of tryhard wankers.

WANKERS

• Like 2

Usher and Justin Timberlake do not even come close to MJs power and range as a singer. Uneducated opinions. Try again.

Consider me a drop out of overrated singer such as MJ. I could care less about his phenomenal "Range" since it just doesn't sound great. Kinda like Dio or Sebastian Bach, hitting 10 octave notes and still sounding bad.

• Like 1

Usher and Justin Timberlake do not even come close to MJs power and range as a singer. Uneducated opinions. Try again.

Consider me a drop out of overrated singer such as MJ. I could care less about his phenomenal "Range" since it just doesn't sound great. Kinda like Dio or Sebastian Bach, hitting 10 octave notes and still sounding bad.

Well having a huge range goes against your ridiculous assertion that MJ was average at singing, as the "average" male octave range is about two and a half octaves. MJ had 6. But I hear what you're saying, range means jack shit if it doesn't sound good. But MJ's vocal chops have garnered respect from everyone from legendary soul singers such as Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin to highly respected pop/rock singers such as Freddy Mercury, Paul McCartney, Axl Rose, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Lionel Ritchie, Little Richard.... Not to mention practically every modern pop artist around today.

But I guess they must be wrong and you must be right.

The Who

You're dead to me.

You're not the first person to express that opinion over The Who. They're just not my bag for some reason. I've never dug anything I've heard by them.

I never got The Who's rock opera thing...it sounds ridiculous. Tommy and Quadrophenia don't appeal to me one bit.

Me either, but that's where I'm sort of odd. I'm a HUGE Floyd fan, so I adore works like The Wall and Roger's Amused To Death album. It doesn't make much sense that I'd love the one set of works so much and not something similar but another band, but that's the way it be.

Well having a huge range goes against your ridiculous assertion that MJ was average at singing, as the "average" male octave range is about two and a half octaves. MJ had 6. But I hear what you're saying, range means jack shit if it doesn't sound good. But MJ's vocal chops have garnered respect from everyone from legendary soul singers such as Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin to highly respected pop/rock singers such as Freddy Mercury, Paul McCartney, Axl Rose, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Lionel Ritchie, Little Richard.... Not to mention practically every modern pop artist around today.

But I guess they must be wrong and you must be right.

Idk man when I hear MJ I don't hear 6 octaves. I've read on some singers and the most I've seen(outside of opera singers) was 5 and that was Mariah Carey. I essentially gave up on trying to say MJ being an avg. singer since I'm uneducated apparently and dude I remember when MJ was considered a joke in the 90s to till his death.

Anyways I listen to music that sounds appealing to me and MJ has some nice pop songs but that's it, it never reached greatness imo.

Edited by MEXzilla
  • Like 1

Isn't that the whole point of this thread? "Legendary artists who have never appealed to you" - so basically name precisely those artists who plenty of people think did some incredible music, but who you don't like. Unless you expect literally everyone to like Michael Jackson.

• Like 1

Isn't that the whole point of this thread? "Legendary artists who have never appealed to you" - so basically name precisely those artists who plenty of people think did some incredible music, but who you don't like. Unless you expect literally everyone to like Michael Jackson.

I'm not a fan of Frank Sinatra, but I at least recognise his talent and appeal as a highly charismatic singer. Just because someone doesn't appeal to your personal tastes, it doesn't make them average, especially when we're discussing world renowned singers. To suggest otherwise is pure arrogance.

I'm not a fan of Frank Sinatra, but I at least recognise his talent and appeal as a highly charismatic singer. Just because someone doesn't appeal to your personal tastes, it doesn't make them average, especially when we're discussing world renowned singers. To suggest otherwise is pure arrogance.

I read the thread again and exactly one person said Michael Jackson was an average singer (who you already addressed) and one other person named him without commenting in any way.