The USA vs. The U.K. - American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips

Ace Nova

American Cheeseburger & Fries vs. Fish & Chips - Which Do You Prefer  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like fish and chips, if it were chips, peas, pudding and gravy or chips, peas, sausage and gravy then I'd vote that.

So basically you don't like fish? :lol:

Or indeed, the combination of fish with chips, coloquially referred to as, wait for it...fish n chips :D

It's weird though, I don't mind like fish and chips if I make them myself, throw the cod in the oven and do the chips myself but if it's a chippy job, I vehemently oppose ever ordering fish with the chips, now that I think about it I like fish and chips just not from the chippy, I'd rather tip tons of other crap into the order.

Is it something to do with how they make it or...? Also, I've always wanted to know, are you from England? :lol: I feel like that might be a rea...no it is a stupid question, you watched Del Chisora and Tyson Fury, you're definitely from England :lol:

I'm from the good old north where they sensibly dish out gravy with the chips, well they do everywhere now but there's that thing where the southerners abhor gravy and enjoy cheese with it all but I've seen cheesy chips offered in tons of takeaways. I dunno what it is about the fish in chippies, it's one of those things where if I take the trouble to drag myself into a place I want loads of shit with gravy, there's something about fish and gravy I don't trust. Also, I'm not sure the yanks really get the kind of humour Fury comes out with, I think the guy's a riot.

I don't like fish and chips, if it were chips, peas, pudding and gravy or chips, peas, sausage and gravy then I'd vote that.

Or indeed, the combination of fish with chips, coloquially referred to as, wait for it...fish n chips :D

It's weird though, I don't mind like fish and chips if I make them myself, throw the cod in the oven and do the chips myself but if it's a chippy job, I vehemently oppose ever ordering fish with the chips, now that I think about it I like fish and chips just not from the chippy, I'd rather tip tons of other crap into the order.

Is it something to do with how they make it or...? Also, I've always wanted to know, are you from England? :lol: I feel like that might be a rea...no it is a stupid question, you watched Del Chisora and Tyson Fury, you're definitely from England :lol:

I'm from the good old north where they sensibly dish out gravy with the chips, well they do everywhere now but there's that thing where the southerners abhor gravy and enjoy cheese with it all but I've seen cheesy chips offered in tons of takeaways. I dunno what it is about the fish in chippies, it's one of those things where if I take the trouble to drag myself into a place I want loads of shit with gravy, there's something about fish and gravy I don't trust. Also, I'm not sure the yanks really get the kind of humour Fury comes out with, I think the guy's a riot.

Where abouts in the north are you from man? :)

The shit part....oh, wait :D

When I was at school the nearest chippy did a half bag for 25p and one of Lenny's lot next door did single fags and a match for 20p.

Identical experience...cept the chinky chippie was 4 doors down from the cornershop cum off lisence cum halal meat shop that flogged singles.

That's a pretty cool experience. Unless you grew up in a small town in the U.S. about 30+ years ago, that sort of thing just doesn't happen over here very often.

• Like 1

It's especially good when you go to school cuz like every kid if you spend all your lunch money on fags.............

Is it PC to say that?

:lol:

Nice.

I spent my lunch money on pizza, Mt. Dew, baseball cards and my gf........but hey, to each their own! Whatever makes one happy!!!

It's especially good when you go to school cuz like every kid if you spend all your lunch money on fags.............

Is it PC to say that?

:D

Is it PC to say that?

Nice.

I spent my lunch money on pizza, Mt. Dew, baseball cards and my gf........but hey, to each their own! Whatever makes one happy!!!

Fuck me, how much lunch money did you get? I got two pounds :lol:

Is it PC to say that?

:D

Is it PC to say that?

Nice.

Fuck me, how much lunch money did you get? I got two pounds :lol:

My parents were well off..........but more importantly (or sadly) they were drinkers and big socializers. So to make up for all the time I spent home alone while they were off doing adult things they compensated by bribing me with money. Often they'd be at the "club" drinking so mom would give me $20 to get dinner at the grocery store and take a cab home. I'd pocket the $20, hitch hike home, and cook a frozen pizza out of the freezer. Do that a couple times a week, plus normal lunch money, plus allowance......that's $80-100 a week! Not bad for a 12-year-old.

• Like 1

I never had more than a 10 pound note in my hand of my own until i was 16 and got a job and earned it, you're so lucky :)

But your mom probably breast fed you until you were 15! My parents were out bowling, playing darts, drinking, etc. I spent a lot of time unsupervised.

I did luck out on school clothes and sporting needs (baseball gloves, etc). In high school my dad would always give me $1,000 to go buy my school clothes. My cousin/best friend would get like $100 from his parents and would have to use his own money for the rest. I'd usually buy him a couple cool shirts.

Why are we comparing two shitty countries as far as foods go? None of them will ever rival the French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Lebanese, or the Argentine kitchens.

Besides, USA barely has had time enough to develop their own cuisine, so it's hard to rag on them. All them've managed to do so far is to randomly combine some imported dishes, add 500 % calories to others, and deep-fry the rest. It's hardly innovative cooking. Let's give them some more time and they might actually come up with something genuinly distinct and great.

Edited by SoulMonster

Why are we comparing two shitty countries as far as foods go? None of them will ever rival the French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Lebanese, or the Argentine kitchens.

Besides, USA barely has had time enough to develop their own cuisine, so it's hard to rag on them. All them've managed to do so far is to randomly combine some imported dishes, add 500 % calories to others, and deep-fry the rest. It's hardly innovative cooking. Let's give them some more time and they might actually come up with something genuinly distinct and great.

Soul food?

Cornbread?

Fried Chicken? - Did America invent deep frying?

Collard Greens?

French food? 4 real? You're gonna add French food?

Edited by Snake-Pit

Soul food?

Cornbread?

Fried Chicken? - Did America invent deep frying?

Collard Greens?

French food? 4 real? You're gonna add French food?

I am sorry but just because Americans eat soul food doesn't mean they invented it. But cornbread is interesting because that is genuinly an American thing (Native American), isn't it? So yeah, I will give them cornbread. And just because they eat tonnes upon tonnes of friend chicken doesn't mean they invented the amazing concept of frying chicken, nor that it is "theirs". Collard greens, don't know what that is, will have to check that out.

The French kitchen is great and has given us lots of standard dishes and methods of cooking.

French, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Lebanese, or the Argentine kitchens.

How could you forget Iran?! ;)

Yes, how could I ever forget some grilled meat on a stick with white rice with saffron cooked rice sprinkled over and a grilled tomato? ;)

Nah, seriously, Iranian home cooking has always been great the times I have tried it, and although I can't really put in among the countries listed, rest assure it is still lies miles above USA on my list of great cuisines of the world.

I made fesenjoon the other night. One of my favourites, chicken with ground walnuts and pomegranate puree, and a little bit of honey.

yCQG4VZ.jpg

I know it looks like nutty diarrhoea, but rest assured it is delicious :lol: I'd make Iranian food every day if it wasn't a minimum 3 hour ordeal (think this took 5 hours from start to finish).

Tahdik (crispy rice) came out OK, but I've almost run out of saffron, will have to get some more from mum when I'm back in Abu Dhabi for Xmas.

I need to try more Argentinian food, I mostly had pizza when I was there. It was good but I didn't really understand the point of faina, it's just carbs on carbs?

Manchester home of the red devils and endless concrete and not that much else lol

Manchester home of the red devils and endless concrete and not that much else lol
Cool. I live on Dale Street just behind Piccadilly. :lol: Small world and all that. Edited by Dazey

My parents were well off..........but more importantly (or sadly) they were drinkers and big socializers. So to make up for all the time I spent home alone while they were off doing adult things they compensated by bribing me with money. Often they'd be at the "club" drinking so mom would give me $20 to get dinner at the grocery store and take a cab home. I'd pocket the $20, hitch hike home, and cook a frozen pizza out of the freezer. Do that a couple times a week, plus normal lunch money, plus allowance......that's $80-100 a week! Not bad for a 12-year-old.

Natural born entrepreneur!

• Like 1