Will Axl ever be popular again. I'm talking with the general public not just rock fans. I mean don't get me wrong he's still famous n shit but he's not at the forefront of pop rock music. Like Dave Grohl is rly pop right now, could he be atleast that popular again. I don't rly care if he ever is I just want the damn music but I definitely would not mind my fav singer being talked about again cuz that would mean he's actually working lol.

The easiest answer is yes if he reunites.

Other options:

Goes solo and creates a techno/industrial hit

Nugnr has a crossover hit on the next album.

I'm rooting for a crossover hit on the next album something alt rock radio would play the shit out of. I think somthing in the vain of Going Down would work. Maybe an all acoustic song? Idk I'm bored and made this topic for the hell of it

Axl's time has come and gone in terms of relevancy. I don't see him becoming a huge personality in the current music world like Dave Grohl unless a reunion happens. And even in the case of a reuinion that exitement would wear out after a while probably as well.

Axl will always be famous and well known, however he won't ever be like a Dave Grohl and be a current relevant personality in current music culture. Partly because of just the natural course of events of being a big star twenty years ago as well as not doing much since then in terms of new songs.

Edited by WhazUp

Axl's time has come and gone in terms of relevancy. I don't see him becoming a huge personality in the current music world like Dave Grohl unless a reunion happens. And even in the case of a reunion that exitement would wear out after a while probably as well.

Axl will always be famous and well known, however he won't ever be like a Dave Grohl and be a current relevant personality in current music culture. Partly because of just the natural course of events of being a big star twenty years ago as well as not doing much since then in terms of new songs.

If he released another 2-3 albums in the next 6ish years, maybe a solo album of piano songs or movie scores or something, did interviews, he could probably still be doing arenas and festivals like RIR when in his 60's (but he'd also have to train and rehearse........)

So probably not. He doesn't seem like he even wants to be popular (Brazil obviously doesn't count), he's doing nostalgia vegas shows.

Watched the Kimmel interview again recently and noticed how excited the crowd was. That definitely goes to show that when Axl shows up in the mainstream people still shit themselves. If he did another VMA 2006 "do you know where the fuck you are?!" it'd probably be the same reaction.

He'll never be as relevant as he was but if they released a Going Down style track that's more radio friendly, then yeah, I'd say GnR would get a lot more radio time.

To me Axl just doesn't get credit for being one of the defining rockstars of all time. They call country stars, rappers, and anyone with a hit song a rockstar now. But Axl was the rockstar, he had the attitude, the performances, the fame, and the unpredictability. Nobody mentions him anymore though when they talk about great performers, or artist. Probably because he turned his back on the "popular" side of Hollywood.

People today are not exposed to Guns N Roses and Axl Rose. A lot of kids probably have no idea who he is. He never does interviews, he doesn't release an album every 2 years, his tours haven't had a proshot streamed since Rio 2011, and there's just a lot out there to listen to other than follow the hardly updated career of Axl Rose.

Now if he starts doing interviews, the albums, some streamed concerts and does a couple guest appearances with other artist then people will rediscover how brilliant and chaotic Axl can be. He's an exciting artist! People will be genuinely interested in him if he exposes himself to that level of fame again.

He'll need to have a more consistent voice then he does now, a new appearence like he did in 2006, the Guns N Roses movie they are working on will help, and he needs to be seen at the Grammys or VMA's. Idk if Axl wants that, but if he does I think he could regain that "popularity". He's one of the most exciting artist in history, and he can still write a great song. Axl would have no problem if it's what he wanted.

• Like 1

Who else in entertainment- music, film, comedy, has ever made a comeback from hiatus? I mean to big levels, not touring county fairs. I did searching and found hitflix.com in 2013 who said,

This year, we've already see the commercial comebacks of artists like Justin Timberlake, David Bowie and Destiny's Child. Some acts never officially quit the game, while others bid adieu only to make a big splash upon their return.

Below we outline some of the biggest musical comebacks of all time, including Mr. "SexyBack" himself, plus favorites like Jennifer Lopez, Eric Clapton, Green Day, Mariah Carey, Cher, Johnny Cash, Cee Lo Green, Train, Santana and more. Check out how they made their ways back into commercial success. Who's your favorite? Who else should make a big return to music-making?

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/news/15-biggest-musical-comebacks-justin-timberlake-mariah-carey-green-day#CrXFJzR3tHioRwd8.99

So there is some precedent for it

I mean he could. I heard "Don't wanna miss a thing" by Aerosmith the other day and remembered how it came out in '98 and figured Guns could have a hit song and video like that if he was in a bit better shape. Not that that song is a rocker or anything but it was well passed their prime. I don't know, hard rock really isn't popular these days

It's all there if he wants it but the guy obviously don't want.

If he wanted to be a Dave Grohl or whoever he would have to do stuff like be accessible and do appearances and interviews, put out music and be reliable...and not sound like complete and utter shit like he has done for the past couple of tours.

Look no further than Ashba and Team Brazil- he's happy in the toilet.

• Like 2

I think if TIL was released as a single, nuGNR could have been popular, because ballads usually sell (it's currently the most played ChiDem song on Spotify). Better could have made them (nuGNR) known as a good rock band

Edited by Mendez

If Axl got over himself, got into shape and got the real Guns N Roses back together he/they could be FUCKING MASSIVE again.

Either we have different interpretations of "FUCKING MASSIVE" or you don't realize how little rock music (especially 80s rock) matters today.

• Like 1

I think it's the former ;)

edit: I'm not saying that GNR would "conquer the world" like in their heyday or anything, but you've got to admit it would be a pretty big deal, right up there with a Led Zep reunion.

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1

Axl did try to become relevant again back in 08. Google 'Chinese Democracy' and there you'll find the answers to your question.

The world is not sitting around wishing Axl would come save us because just like everything else, life goes on. GN'R is already classic rock and it's just not feasible that a man in his 50's is fixing to start a world takeover.

This premise keeps popping up every month or so and it blows my mind that there's still a bunch of you who still think 'he can do it'.

Axl did try to become relevant again back in 08. Google 'Chinese Democracy' and there you'll find the answers to your question.

The world is not sitting around wishing Axl would come save us because just like everything else, life goes on. GN'R is already classic rock and it's just not feasible that a man in his 50's is fixing to start a world takeover.

This premise keeps popping up every month or so and it blows my mind that there's still a bunch of you who still think 'he can do it'.

weird thing is he didnt really try in 08. album came out and the dude disappeared. he almost couldnt have tried any less. you know he must have been pist at how it was released for watever reasons he has, it wasnt a double album, none of his artwork, they fuked up his cd covers, shit leaked, law suits. the guy said this was the worst period of his life. i think if axl actually put in the work (yes vocally, but more so promotion wise) he could be at the front of atleast the rock scene again. he has a crazy strong name in GNR which holds weight as much as Metallica, Nirvana, Aerosmith. if he did shit right hired the right people and worked he could def do it in my eyes. but he doesnt want to so here waiting for the follow up to the follow up of the 25 year waited on album.

I think it's pretty blatantly obvious from 08 onwards that he doesn't give a flying fuck about "progressing" anywhere with the GNR name and he's resigned to being a greatest hits touring band and plumbing the South Americas over and over.

As I alluded to earlier, if the guy really gave a shit he wouldn't have a laughing stock like DJ Ashba prancing all over his stage, butchering the classics, and he wouldn't be managed by the fucking nanny and her son- he'd have a proper bloody manager like Azoff or Doc, or all the other ones he fired for trying to resurrect his career.

• Like 3

If Axl and Izzy get together for a week with an acoustic guitar they can create as many great songs as they like.

In there you may find the crossover hit you're looking for;

Problem is that Axl probably doesn't really want to deal with someone like Izzy, because Izzy won't say YES to everything that Axl says.

So Axl chooses to spend his time with these fantastic professional musicians like the ones he has in his band right now.

Problem is that these top professional musicians can't write a good song to save their lives.

• Like 1

I don't think he wants to be popular again to be honest. Have you seen how miserable and pathetic he looks on photos with fans NOW (even when his career is down the shitter like it is today). He seems to be a person who enjoys being private and likes to keep it that way. Imagine him being on top of the world again, it wouldn't be good for his health and stability and would break him up.

Axl might just pull off a great comeback album that shuts people up, but I think it's almost impossible that he's going to change peoples opinion on him (late shows, owning the band name, his part in the original break up).

I think Guns could be bigger than they are right now, but it would take correct management and a concerted effort from Axl... and yeah, that means playing the award shows, agreeing to interviews, releasing videos and when he goes on tour... make sure he goes on stage on time (which I've heard he has improved upon in the last 2 years).

I don't think Guns are ever going to be as big as they were, not even a reunion would bring that kind of popularity, it's just a different time... they could certainly sell out stadiums all around the world and ask astronomical amounts for tickets and create a big media buzz like Led Zeppelin, but bigger... bigger because Zeppelin have had several reunions (one offs, page/plant etc) over the years and ended on amicable terms... Guns on the other hand... :P

I think being reclusive and staying out of the public's eye is what has kept him as popular as he is. Although with every year that goes by GNR fans parish(were not getting any younger) and the younger generation has moved on and doesnt care about Guns N Roses or Axl Rose. He should have reformed the original GNR in 2006, that would have been his chance to make a big comeback timewise...

That's not true, go to any show and you're going to see a ton of kids, ages from 8 up. Guns are still huge, and despite his reclusive nature you're right he is still really popular and talked about... mystique sells.

• Like 1

You have no idea how popular Axl and GN'R are outside the USA. But I do agree with all of you that in order for him to be all over the media today, he needs new music, a killer radio hit and be accessible to give interviews, go to Hollywood parties and shit like that.

Now will he do that?