The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

13 minutes ago, wasted said:

I wish I could drink better beer but I just get whatevers cheapest. In humidity cheap beer is the best. Winter is better for heavier beers. I can’t take warm beer, Guinness extra cold was a good idea. 

I dont have strong feelings about Guiness, but that seems just wrong. I only occasionally treat myself to something like this to take home. When Im out Im bougie though - theres just so much incredible craft brewers and they do new stuff all the time. So have to get a flight of whats on tap. True about cheap beer in the heat - the Americans have perfected this.

29 minutes ago, soon said:

I dont have strong feelings about Guiness, but that seems just wrong. I only occasionally treat myself to something like this to take home. When Im out Im bougie though - theres just so much incredible craft brewers and they do new stuff all the time. So have to get a flight of whats on tap. True about cheap beer in the heat - the Americans have perfected this.

They did it with Caffereys and Kilkenny too. I’m not really sure why but it makes it more like a lager. Warm beer is difficult. Basically good beer is wasted on me because i put cans in the freezer. I always wake up and take a can out of the freezer I forgot about. Also I put lemon juice in cheap beer or sprite. Coke and red wine with ice is also good in summer. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

They did it with Caffereys and Kilkenny too. I’m not really sure why but it makes it more like a lager. Warm beer is difficult. Basically good beer is wasted on me because i put cans in the freezer. I always wake up and take a can out of the freezer I forgot about. Also I put lemon juice in cheap beer or sprite. Coke and red wine with ice is also good in summer. 

That is strange about the lager flavour. The process of Lagering is to ferment the beer (wort) in cold conditions, so maybe that has something to do with it? Ive exploded a few bottles of beer in the freezer. Apparently the tradition of adding lemon wedges to Corona comes from a time when the water quality in Mexico was unreliable so the lemon was to disinfect. I once had a Brava (cheaper corona style beer) that i discovered all sort of black gunk stuck t the bottom of the bottle. Wish I'd thrown in a wedge. A chilean pal turned me onto orange crush and red wine, its not bad.

5 hours ago, soon said:

That is strange about the lager flavour. The process of Lagering is to ferment the beer (wort) in cold conditions, so maybe that has something to do with it? Ive exploded a few bottles of beer in the freezer. Apparently the tradition of adding lemon wedges to Corona comes from a time when the water quality in Mexico was unreliable so the lemon was to disinfect. I once had a Brava (cheaper corona style beer) that i discovered all sort of black gunk stuck t the bottom of the bottle. Wish I'd thrown in a wedge. A chilean pal turned me onto orange crush and red wine, its not bad.

I think in Italy they add lemonade to cheap red wine. A german i know puts lemon juice in Hefe wheat beer. 

It wasn’t a lager flavour but maybe it makes it taste less so you drinking it like lager. It loses its guinnessness. 

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think in Italy they add lemonade to cheap red wine. A german i know puts lemon juice in Hefe wheat beer. 

It wasn’t a lager flavour but maybe it makes it taste less so you drinking it like lager. It loses its guinnessness. 

I do as the Germans in that case. I love that combo.

Ever tried a "lagered ale?" Best of both worlds. Like a thicker Kolsh but also a bit funky.

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

I was in Kilkenny three months ago. If I had known they had their own beer I would have ordered one.

Maybe I spelt it wrong. They killed Kenny thebastards. 

Just now, soon said:

I do as the Germans in that case. I love that combo.

Ever tried a "lagered ale?" Best of both worlds. Like a thicker Kolsh but also a bit funky.

Is that pouring lager and dark beer together? Asahi are advertising that here. 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Is that pouring lager and dark beer together? Asahi are advertising that here. 

No, but I see why youd guess that. 

Lager beer gets its name form the brewing process of "Lagering" which means to ferment in cold temperatures. Specific yeasts are used for Lager that thrive in cold temps. Lagered-Ale uses ale yeast instead of lager yeast and also uses a two step fermentation process that mimics the typical(ish) process of each style of beer.

More complexity then lager macro-brews. Also more funk then average craft brewed lager. 

9 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Drunk waaaayyy to much Captain Morgans and coke last night been farting/shitting like a trooper all day 

Its usually the lager than gives me the farts.  I think I have a tendency to shunt them down.  Not one after the other necessarily, its just when I got a pint it generally don't hang about.  Y'know like those old school Rovers Return geezers who dip their lips in once every couple of minutes, can't be havin' that.  I guess I come from the binge drinking generation.  Thats another crock of shit, the binge drinking generation, when did people not binge drink in this country, its a fuckin' tradition, from your shop floor lads to your fuckin' office boys, we all can't wait to get off work so we can pound 8 pints and stumble home with a kebab dreaming up some cock-eyed excuse for the missus like 'I only had a couple, I was working late!'.  But yeah, I'm going like a Bison after a good nights drinking, you could curdle milk in my fuckin' room by morning.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I'm making the assumption your in the states ... man your living the dream KFC legal weed and beer

Canada - its not legal until October but theres already dispensaries open! :headbang:Couldnt put it better myself - living the dream!

Cops raided it and closed it a few times, but i think they finally gave up. Now the only issue is that we keep buying up all the weed they have!

On 29/08/2018 at 6:59 AM, soon said:

No, but I see why youd guess that. 

Lager beer gets its name form the brewing process of "Lagering" which means to ferment in cold temperatures. Specific yeasts are used for Lager that thrive in cold temps. Lagered-Ale uses ale yeast instead of lager yeast and also uses a two step fermentation process that mimics the typical(ish) process of each style of beer.

More complexity then lager macro-brews. Also more funk then average craft brewed lager. 

I’ll look out for it. There’s a Beer Lady nearby. So they might have it. 

16 hours ago, soon said:

A KFC just opened across from the local booze store. Its these small joys that make all the difference in life.

Nah, you don't want fried chicken when you're pissed, you want something with a bit of sting in it.  I guess this is where hot sauce comes in.

Edited by Len Cnut

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Don't listen to Len Pie n Chips is what you want 

Hey, I'm all in when it comes to pie and chips! :lol:  Pie n Mash, even better but its gotta have that parsley liquor and vinegar and all that game.  Can't fuckin' find it anymore though.

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

When I lived in Walthamstow there was one bu the market place but pretty sure it has gone since then this was about 13 years ago mind

I don't fuckin' understand why they've closed down.  The foods brilliant, its cheap and cheerful, on the go sort of food and its a nice little meal too.  I really don't understand why it hasn't endured.  Always reminded me of school dinners for some reason.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, you don't want fried chicken when you're pissed, you want something with a bit of sting in it.  I guess this is where hot sauce comes in.

Hot sauce is great! But I don't trust 3-beer-me with hot sauce choices :lol:

4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Don't listen to Len Pie n Chips is what you want 

Its bliss. I like to make a hand pie or galette when Im buzzed. You make the dough ahead of time because it needs to chill and then you get to be all creative and see what kinda flavours your altered mind comes up with!

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Hey, I'm all in when it comes to pie and chips! :lol:  Pie n Mash, even better but its gotta have that parsley liquor and vinegar and all that game.  Can't fuckin' find it anymore though.

Parsley liquor?

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Hot sauce is great! But I don't trust 3-beer-me with hot sauce choices :lol:

Its bliss. I like to make a hand pie or galette when Im buzzed. You make the dough ahead of time because it needs to chill and then you get to be all creative and see what kinda flavours your altered mind comes up with!

Parsley liquor?

Its called liquor but it ain't actually liquor, its like a parsley sauce...sort of, is sauce the right word?  Sauce, gravy, I dunno.  Pie n Mash places were an old thing here in England, like old school fast food sort of, you went in and got pie and mash and liquor was the green shit they chucked over it.  Vinegar optional.  They were set up like really spartan looking canteens with white tiled walls and seating.  Poor peoples food.

epie_tall.jpg

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its called liquor but it ain't actually liquor, its like a parsley sauce...sort of, is sauce the right word?  Sauce, gravy, I dunno.  Pie n Mash places were an old thing here in England, like old school fast food sort of, you went in and got pie and mash and liquor was the green shit they chucked over it.  Vinegar optional.  They were set up like really spartan looking canteens with white tiled walls and seating.  Poor peoples food.

epie_tall.jpg

Dang that look good! I think Pie and Mash wins the day for me. Wish there was a Pie n Mash place around here.

(food nerd stuff: looks like it could be a "veloute" which would be like starting to make a cheese sauce for mac and cheese but adding broth instead of cream and parsley instead of cheese. Similar process to making gravy for sure)