The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

1 minute ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Might have to  nab a few Bruce Lee movies on Blu Ray just starting a bit of a collection 

Prob get a boxset. They must be on tv. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't believe I'm advising on computerey matters, I'm like the most useless cunt on computers, all I can do is download torrents and find footy streams.

You've only four to choose from anyway mate...4 and then The Game of Death, which he's hardly in though its still well worth it for that last 20 mins or so. 

Was Rush Hour the 3rd or 4th movie?

Say what you will about Canadian whisky but I've just always liked it a lot more than southern whiskey. Of the Canadian whiskey selection, I've always favored Canadian Club. I used to use it as a mixer but eventually just stepped back to CC on ice. Usually I just use the regular (6 Year) CC but on occaision I've bought Reserve (9 Years) and/or Classic (12 Year) which, IMO, are different but only slightly.

About a month ago I found out about CC 20 Year which is only available in Canada so I tried a glass while I was over there. Holy hell. What a difference 8 years makes! This stuff is SMOOOOOOTH. So much so that I've gone over the boarder several times since I tried it just to bring a couple of fifths back each time. 

I've changed up to just drinking neat now that I got a hold of this stuff, which is a whole different ballgame from drinking on ice. I find that I drink slower and savor it far more. 

• GNFNR 1

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Say what you will about Canadian whisky but I've just always liked it a lot more than southern whiskey. Of the Canadian whiskey selection, I've always favored Canadian Club. I used to use it as a mixer but eventually just stepped back to CC on ice. Usually I just use the regular (6 Year) CC but on occaision I've bought Reserve (9 Years) and/or Classic (12 Year) which, IMO, are different but only slightly.

About a month ago I found out about CC 20 Year which is only available in Canada so I tried a glass while I was over there. Holy hell. What a difference 8 years makes! This stuff is SMOOOOOOTH. So much so that I've gone over the boarder several times since I tried it just to bring a couple of fifths back each time. 

I've changed up to just drinking neat now that I got a hold of this stuff, which is a whole different ballgame from drinking on ice. I find that I drink slower and savor it far more. 

Canadian whisky is a weird thing. I'm not even a huge fan of bourbon, but at least with bourbon you know what you're roughly getting. As with most US whisky really. Canadian whisky doesn't have regulations as strict. I've heard that it used to be wheat-based creating a very soft character (which I generally like, bourbons like Pappy or Weller's have a relatively high percentage of wheat too). But I've also heard that these days it's more rye-heavy, creating a more spicy palate what isn't generally my cup of tea. And most Canadian whisky is very young. WHY?? Canda has a fairly good climate for maturing whisky for longer periods of time. Much more consistant and moderate than for example Kentucky. Then the Canadians have this strange 9,09% rule which is kind of vague and open to interpretation, but essentially it allows "flavouring" which is strictly prohibited in other large whisky-producing countries. I've read vastly different stories about how much that is actually done. 

Of course, none of this whisky-nerd rambling even remotely matters if you just simply like what you're drinking. But yeah, it's a strange thing to me. I've liked Crown Royal for being accessible, but that was 15 years ago. I never really liked Black Velvet or Canadian Club much. It's too much of an alcoholic one-dimensional flavor for me. That said, I'd happily try older ones if I got the chance. Odds are they're pretty good due to better casks and longer maturation. As long as they're not too woody. 

I just checked the 20 on Whiskybase and it's rated quite well compared to other Canadian whisky. It says there are 30 and 40 year old editions as well. Have you every made a little line-up from their range (6,9,12 and 20) to try them side by side? I'd be interested to know how they compare! 

Also, good man. Of course there is no right or wrong way to enjoy your whisky. All that matters is that you enjoy it. But aside from that drinking it neat is the only right way and every other way is frowned upon by God himself. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, username said:

Canadian whisky is a weird thing. I'm not even a huge fan of bourbon, but at least with bourbon you know what you're roughly getting. As with most US whisky really. Canadian whisky doesn't have regulations as strict. I've heard that it used to be wheat-based creating a very soft character (which I generally like, bourbons like Pappy or Weller's have a relatively high percentage of wheat too). But I've also heard that these days it's more rye-heavy, creating a more spicy palate what isn't generally my cup of tea. And most Canadian whisky is very young. WHY?? Canda has a fairly good climate for maturing whisky for longer periods of time. Much more consistant and moderate than for example Kentucky. Then the Canadians have this strange 9,09% rule which is kind of vague and open to interpretation, but essentially it allows "flavouring" which is strictly prohibited in other large whisky-producing countries. I've read vastly different stories about how much that is actually done. 

Of course, none of this whisky-nerd rambling even remotely matters if you just simply like what you're drinking. But yeah, it's a strange thing to me. I've liked Crown Royal for being accessible, but that was 15 years ago. I never really liked Black Velvet or Canadian Club much. It's too much of an alcoholic one-dimensional flavor for me. That said, I'd happily try older ones if I got the chance. Odds are they're pretty good due to better casks and longer maturation. As long as they're not too woody. 

I just checked the 20 on Whiskybase and it's rated quite well compared to other Canadian whisky. It says there are 30 and 40 year old editions as well. Have you every made a little line-up from their range (6,9,12 and 20) to try them side by side? I'd be interested to know how they compare! 

Also, good man. Of course there is no right or wrong way to enjoy your whisky. All that matters is that you enjoy it. But aside from that drinking it neat is the only right way and every other way is frowned upon by God himself. 

I have yet to line up 6 - 20 to try side by side but it's crossed my mind, so I may get to it sooner than later.

I've seen 30 & 40 over the years but they've been too limited for me to get in on. I've heard very strong opinions that while the jump in quality from 12 to 20 is huge, the difference is not there from 20 to 30 and from 20 to 40. 

Having said that, I really can't get over how smooooooth 20 Year is. I was flat out stunned by it and everyone who's tried it since I started buying it feels the same way. The biggest compliments I've heard on it are almost insults lol. Two different people I've had try it have said "I normally do not like CC, but that stuff is so good they should call it something else". 

If you have access to it, I highly recommend giving it a try. I consider myself a Canadian Club loyalist and I had no idea it even existed until about 4 weeks ago. It's not (nor has every been) available in the US. I hadn't been to Canada in about 15-20 years until a month ago or so, and that's where it's available so that's why I didn't know. In the time since, I've brough back 2-3 bottles with me each time I've gone over the boarder including last night. I plan on doing so every time I can as I'd like to keep 2 -3 bottles on hand in my house at all times lol.

14 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Yeah pretty sure I can get a boxset or a score on Ebay

They normally on Sky HD but i'm trying to go legit and own all of my fav films on Blu Ray 

I have Departed, Wolf of Wall Street, Inception on blu ray. 

7 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I fucking love ted 

Gotta love bit of Bruce Lee pissed start fly kicking and throwing punches about the living room

I’d never see a movie if I followed that rule. But it’s a have a few bottles and watch Ted. You’re Marky Mark you go to the gym and smoke with a bear. I can’t actually be fucked to smoke but I get the idea. 

10 minutes ago, wasted said:

I’d never see a movie if I followed that rule. But it’s a have a few bottles and watch Ted. You’re Marky Mark you go to the gym and smoke with a bear. I can’t actually be fucked to smoke but I get the idea. 

Is that what that films about?  I've seen the front cover, assumed it was some kids shit so never seen it.  Reminds me of that James Stewart film with the imaginary rabbit.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Is that what that films about?  I've seen the front cover, assumed it was some kids shit so never seen it.  Reminds me of that James Stewart film with the imaginary rabbit.

It’s by that guy that does Family Guy and has all those actors who do the voices. I watched the first on the plane there and back. Flash ah aah saviour of the universe! 

I’ve got 2 on dvd under that pile of stuff over there. 

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What else is there to do when you're drinking on your own? Phoning the ex? Or some people go online when they're wasted, now that seems boring to me.

Nuh uh it’s the best thing to do wth your entire life. 

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What else is there to do when you're drinking on your own? Phoning the ex? Or some people go online when they're wasted, now that seems boring to me.

i guess I'm kind of a film geek so when I watch films at home I kinda...I dunno what I do actually now I think about it :lol:  Shit, what do i do?  Watch football if its on.  Old boxing matches.  But films like...yeah, as I'm a film geek I kinda wanna watch movies and...REALLY watch em y'know.  Whereas whilst pissed i kinda like...can't pay attention when I'm pissed.  I can but it kinda drifts in and out.  But shit, yeah, now I think about it I can't actually think what it is I do when I'm drinking alone!  Thats kinda creepy, all that time and I can't figure out how I spend it.  I guess I just flit from thing to thing and don't much of anything properly as such. 

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

i guess I'm kind of a film geek so when I watch films at home I kinda...I dunno what I do actually now I think about it :lol:  Shit, what do i do?  Watch football if its on.  Old boxing matches.  But films like...yeah, as I'm a film geek I kinda wanna watch movies and...REALLY watch em y'know.  Whereas whilst pissed i kinda like...can't pay attention when I'm pissed.  I can but it kinda drifts in and out.  But shit, yeah, now I think about it I can't actually think what it is I do when I'm drinking alone!  Thats kinda creepy, all that time and I can't figure out how I spend it.  I guess I just flit from thing to thing and don't much of anything properly as such. 

Exactly, you're not really watching the movie, just drifting in and out, but I've seen those movies a hundred times so I don't need to 'follow' it anyway, and most of the movies I listed are music movies so it basically works like a jukebox for me... you're just drifting away and every ten minutes or so there's a cool song playing in the background.