The Hangover/I'm an Alcoholic Thread

AxlisOld

16 minutes ago, soon said:

Dang that look good! I think Pie and Mash wins the day for me. Wish there was a Pie n Mash place around here.

(food nerd stuff: looks like it could be a "veloute" which would be like starting to make a cheese sauce for mac and cheese but adding broth instead of cream and parsley instead of cheese. Similar process to making gravy for sure)

Ever see Quadrophenia?

I used to go in that very same shop many many times as a kid.  It was sort of a London landmark until it closed.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Ever see Quadrophenia?

I used to go in that very same shop many many times as a kid.  It was sort of a London landmark until it closed.

Ashamed to say that I havent seen it. Thats cool that you'd go into the same shop! I like that about England, the way that the simplest aspect of culture are.. i dont know, like honoured. The way he spoke about the liquor made me hungry. Its a way that I wouldn't speak about the gravy at a poutinerie, but I think we're missing out.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Ashamed to say that I havent seen it. Thats cool that you'd go into the same shop! I like that about England, the way that the simplest aspect of culture are.. i dont know, like honoured. The way he spoke about the liquor made me hungry. Its a way that I wouldn't speak about the gravy at a poutinerie, but I think we're missing out.

I don't think they'd have em in American/Canada, they're famously a bit...y'know, grimy.  I mean look at that place, d'ya reckon they had health and safety proceedure? :lol:  In the market ones the bloke serving you used to have a fag in his mouth :lol: I guess its just a part of peoples lives so its kind of remembered.  And obviously this stuff WELL predates my age and generation so, yeah, I guess a sort of fondness comes from it.  Also, I think its partly to do with working class 'culture' being so unregarded that like...people have strived to make sure that these things are held onto because if they are not it'll be forgotten.  The shop was originally opened in 1899 too on the Goldhawke Road which is slap bang in the middle of west londons working class Shepherds Bush area, theres a tube station, the arches and this big stretch of road running right through it.  The Who were from there, some of The Pistols, its sort of a well known working class area.  But yeah, from 1899 until it closed recently, you can imagine that a century plus of serving the locals would kind of engender it in peoples hearts. 

The fondness is strange though in that that stuff, along with your average fish n chips, that folks are so fond of its like...well, y'know, its hardly haute cusine.  Its the food of people that dreamed of something better.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't think they'd have em in American/Canada, they're famously a bit...y'know, grimy.  I mean look at that place, d'ya reckon they had health and safety proceedure? :lol:  In the market ones the bloke serving you used to have a fag in his mouth :lol: I guess its just a part of peoples lives so its kind of remembered.  And obviously this stuff WELL predates my age and generation so, yeah, I guess a sort of fondness comes from it.  Also, I think its partly to do with working class 'culture' being so unregarded that like...people have strived to make sure that these things are held onto because if they are not it'll be forgotten.  The shop was originally opened in 1899 too on the Goldhawke Road which is slap bang in the middle of west londons working class Shepherds Bush area, theres a tube station, the arches and this big stretch of road running right through it.  The Who were from there, some of The Pistols, its sort of a well known working class area.  But yeah, from 1899 until it closed recently, you can imagine that a century plus of serving the locals would kind of engender it in peoples hearts. 

The fondness is strange though in that that stuff, along with your average fish n chips, that folks are so fond of its like...well, y'know, its hardly haute cusine.  Its the food of people that dreamed of something better.

The working class here has forgotten itself and is divided. And I guess one cant centre class unity around shared meals at fast food chains that exploit the wording class. I remember when I was very young going to some really dingy eateries, filled with grime. There was a broken down train - still on the abandoned tracks in the middle of no where along the the highway in Northern Ontario. It was turned into a grill. Youd get really disgusting burgers, sit in filth, have indigestion for the remainder of your trip and then rave about how great it was to all your friends. They even built a bridge over the highway so people going both ways could stop. Theres a real beauty in how absurd it is - the people made it for the people and theres pride in that alone. Youre right, there arent many left here. One family run greasy spoon is all I can bring to mind in cities I know well. So much creative class (condo) gentrification all around and even on top of it that its old time charm seems like its made to look old - like a 50's dinner with Brando murals - but its real and authentic. The prices still match what the locals could bare after the auto plant closures. Mom yells orders to the gramma and the pimple faced kid rings you up and always cracks a joke like telling the women youre with for breakfast that she's the "third one this week." Lol. The big cities progressed so fast but these little town pockets of small business economy remained strong as long as they could. Its all just mono culture and corporate now. *sheds a single tear* Lol

Your food gets a bad wrap but so much of it is incredibly delicious! Err, at least our take on it. Never had the pleasure of the real deal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I hate when people say that :lol:  You can make your own anything if you got the time and inclination but I'm a bloke, I dunno how to cook :lol:

Olay I’m with you but it’s pie and mash. Buy 4 pies from Tescos. Then peel and boil potatoes, okay you’re right I can’t even get through the post. Toast? Marmite? You get to talk about real british food and some old shit my nan used to eat before the stroke.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

Olay I’m with you but it’s pie and mash. Buy 4 pies from Tescos. Then peel and boil potatoes, okay you’re right I can’t even get through the post. Toast? Marmite? You get to talk about real british food and some old shit my nan used to eat before the stroke.

I sometimes resolve to try cooking and stuff but at the 11th hour I just get the dreads.  I'm afraid something bad will happen :(  I'll burn the house down or turn into a bird or something.  The firemen will be digging me out of the rubble with a pair of tits and a fanny. 

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I sometimes resolve to try cooking and stuff but at the 11th hour I just get the dreads.  I'm afraid something bad will happen :(  I'll burn the house down or turn into a bird or something.  The firemen will be digging me out of the rubble with a pair of tits and a fanny. 

That’s the problem you get everything then just mess it up. Or you’re just too knackered to eat it. So Papa Johns on speed dial. 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 2:52 PM, Len Cnut said:

Its called liquor but it ain't actually liquor, its like a parsley sauce...sort of, is sauce the right word?  Sauce, gravy, I dunno.  Pie n Mash places were an old thing here in England, like old school fast food sort of, you went in and got pie and mash and liquor was the green shit they chucked over it.  Vinegar optional.  They were set up like really spartan looking canteens with white tiled walls and seating.  Poor peoples food.

epie_tall.jpg

That looks fucking horrible mind doesn't it 😂😂 national dish or whatever it is fair enough, but I wouldn't feed that to a dog. It looks like a lump of Smash and a pie got put in an airing cupboard for 6 weeks and went mouldy.

• Haha 1

On 31/08/2018 at 5:23 PM, Len Cnut said:

It’s ill advised. But if there are no shops doing it. Mash is quite easy. I’ve burned pies before. My dealer back in the day had no furniture just a big stereo system and he lived on beer and frozen pizzas. The only decoration in his room was all these pizzas he’d burned black that he’d nailed along the walls. There was about 10 of these black discs on the wall. Salute. 

Having said that I used to work in Mexican restaurant and made chili mash everyday. So it’s possible in an emergency. 

11 hours ago, wasted said:

I failed last night. I had 6 cans but after 2 I couldn’t drink anymore. I blame the humidity and that bowl of pasta I ate. Food is the enemy. 

Not to be alarmist but that could describe early pancreatitis. Could just be as you say too.

The state finally voted to allow high abv beer to be available in convenience stores (instead of just liquor stores). It starts next month. 

I have been drinking light beer for years. I don't want to go the liquor store and buy piss warm beer (Yes. It is sold warm. Why? Because we are governed by dumb rednecks.).

Coors Light in the meantime. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't stand cold beer.  Not sure why.  Warm goes down easier.  I suppose it comes from being bought up in a fuckin' bollock-freezing climate.  And the only place I've ever been with a hot climate where I would've liked it cold I didn't have a fridge, sods fuckin' law. 

You would drink American beer cold if you were here Lenny. Trust me. There is no other way. :lol: