The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

41 year olds cannot generally move their legs like that. Go and rewatch the fight.

Like what, what did he do?!? :lol:  It was just good footwork, good professional footwork reflective of an experienced world champion boxer, it's good, it's very good...but it wasn't anything that wasn't expected of him, read some of the write ups prior to the fight, read every half baked pundits opinion on the matter.

Is Joshua supposed to be a dancey type?

No but as the hyped and much lauded next big thing future of boxing he will get faults picked in him and one fault is that, footwork-wise, he plods like fuck.  Fury is 28 years old, look at the difference in footwork between him and Josh...and Furys the bigger heavier man too.  Why do you think he was being compared to Bruno so often prior to this fight, because of the footwork, he is seriously heavy footed and it sticks out a mile off, probably a consequence of being a bodybuilder.

You cannot move like that because your legs go when you reach 30. All the footballers and boxers say the same thing. It does not matter about experience.

The commentators were surprised by his footwork. I suppose they were talking bollocks also?

You cannot move like that because your legs go when you reach 30. All the footballers and boxers say the same thing. It does not matter about experience.

You're talking like it's the 1970s, times have changed, Christ, are you saying Joshua is 3 years away from his legs going?  Fighters go on for ages now, they ain't same red meat and potatoes eating blokes that booze in their spare time, football players, boxers, all of em play well past 30 and are pretty solid, that old thing of finished after 30 is long gone.  

The commentators were surprised by his footwork. I suppose they were talking bollocks also?

The same boxing commentators that were cumming in their pants after Bellew vs Haye?  Boxing commentators, particularly British ones, are famous for being full of shit.  They're hardly gonna sit there picking the fight to pieces, they wouldn't last long as employees of Sky Sports if they were that honest, half of the fights that you were slagging off earlier as being big let downs were commentated upon with great aplomb too.  I was saying this before the fight too, on this very thread, he's deliberately come in light to take advantage with the superior footwork he possesses...and the reason for that is that they knew that Joshes footwork is slow and ponderous.
Edited by Len Cnut

Our opinions have reversed. Here I am defending what I consider a great modern boxing bout and you are harping on about Muhammad Ali! I thought it was me who considered boxing practically a dead sport, and a pale imitation of what has been before?

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Our opinions have reversed. Here I am defending what I consider a great modern boxing bout and you are harping on about Muhammad Ali! I thought it was me who considered boxing practically a dead sport, and a pale imitation of what has been before?

Once again, i loved the fight, i thought it was very good and entertaining and great for boxing, i just think it's ridiculous to compare it to the greats.  And lets be clear about this, I'm not the one harping on about Muhammad Ali, I'm responding to comparisons being made in the press and the papers.  In fact i watched this fight with some older guys and my brother and they were slagging off modern boxing and i was like look if you're gonna compare everything to Ali or Hearns or Leonard or Marv' you're never gonna enjoy a fight, it is what it is and should be enjoyed for what it is and not compared to those other guys, whether to slag it off or to say 'hey, this is just like Fight of the Century'.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you feel I'm hyping the Joshua fight up unduly you do not want to listen to this Telegraph writer, Garath A. Davis, on a boxing special, talksport right now. He said he'd watched it twenty to thirty times, and says it was ''akin to the Thrilla in Manilla, and the greatest fight since Riddick Bowe v Hollyfield''. ''Beautiful'', ''majestic'', ''dramatic'' are some of the terms he uses.

PS

Tyson Fury interview. He said Joshua ''has no jab and cannot fight on the inside''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I've read it all mate, including Russell Crowe Davies little review, I'm afraid I just dont agree.  I'll give him dramatic, quite frankly the boxing establishment is kinda sucking Joshua off a bit right now, interesting Eddie Hearn has applied to the IBF to side step their mandatory to fight Wlad again, the same IBF that refused to let Fury side-step his mandatory to fight Wlad, stripping him and setting up the fight that allowed Big Josh to win the title in the first place...funny that eh?  Then again, applied and allowed are two different things.

Some fantastic boxing on this weekend btw, home and abroad, Gervonta Davis, 22 yr old World Champion and boxing prodigy is coming to England to fight Liam Walsh.

And abroad we have, in my opinion, the future of boxing Terence Crawford fighting.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've read it all mate, including Russell Crowe Davies little review, I'm afraid I just dont agree.

Some fantastic boxing on this weekend btw, home and abroad, Gervonta Davis, 22 yr old World Champion and boxing prodigy is coming to England to fight Liam Walsh.

And abroad we have, in my opinion, the future of boxing Terence Crawford fighting.

You are just angry because all of these johnny come latelies are now ruining your elitism. You are like me sitting at a Twenty20 near a bunch of pissed up lads who do not know the first thing about the sport.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are just angry because all of these johnny come latelies are now ruining your elitism. You are like me sitting at a Twenty20 near a bunch of pissed up lads who do not know the first thing about the sport.

Nah i love it!  I just dont think it was one of the greatest fights of all time.  I'll say this, its on a par with Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko, I'll give it that, which in itself was a really good fight.  Boxing has always been full of pissed up and coked up lads that know nothing about the sport :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah i love it!  I just dont think it was one of the greatest fights of all time.  I'll say this, its on a par with Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko, I'll give it that, which in itself was a really good fight.  Boxing has always been full of pissed up and coked up lads that know nothing about the sport :lol:

Yes but you have all of these tabloid journalists and housewives and cheesy people who would have normally never watched boxing turn on the hyperbole and acting like experts now. Joshua/Klitschko is a bit like the 2005 Ashes.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes but you have all of these tabloid journalists and housewives and cheesy people who would have normally never watched boxing turn on the hyperbole and acting like experts now. Joshua/Klitschko is a bit like the 2005 Ashes.

To be honest I've had my head up my arse so much lately I haven't really been much aware of any hyperbole or housewives.  Too busy poring over Wuthering Heights :lol: 

Frank warrens not having much luck lately, he got in with a pikey crowd. He's never had much loyalty shown to him to be fair after a while his fighters all fuck off and to be honest if i was a 25 year old promising boxer I'd be suckled right up to the Matchroom tit.

15 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Frank warrens not having much luck lately, he got in with a pikey crowd. He's never had much loyalty shown to him to be fair after a while his fighters all fuck off and to be honest if i was a 25 year old promising boxer I'd be suckled right up to the Matchroom tit.

I think he gets a bit of a hard time, ol' Fish Eyes.  My Dad knew Terry Marsh, the bloke that shot him.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:01 AM, Len Cnut said:

I think he gets a bit of a hard time, ol' Fish Eyes.  My Dad knew Terry Marsh, the bloke that shot him.

I remember watching an IFL interview with him and he sort of insinuated that the bloke who shot him got a bit comeback from a few dodgy fuckers that he knows (and you somehow get the feeling that he knows a few :lol:) because of all that. He's a gooner isn't he? 

• 3 weeks later...

Money and The Notorious MMA will officially square up in August, as McGregor vs Mayweather is booked for August 26. This probably belongs in the pro wrestling thread, though, because this fight will almost certainly be a work...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Discuss what, its ridiculous, theres fuck all to discuss, a very rich person and someone who wants to be a very rich person seeing an oppertunity and exploiting it, competitively its a joke to the point of dangerous, I know area level amateurs better than Conor McGregor...and they'd get mullered by Floyd too, as would just about any human being on earth at the 147 to 154 lbs level by Floyd Mayweather.

On 6/14/2017 at 5:31 PM, DieselDaisy said:

What a load of shite. It will be like that Japanese guy Ali fought, who spent all of the time on the floor kicking at Ali's shins. A complete farce.

Didn't Inoki fuck up Ali's legs long term though?

Edited by moreblack