What are you eating?

inthisriver

Cardamom, thats what i meant, not aniseed!  See i didn't know the name in English, it's called saunf in Kashmir, so i googled whats saunf in English and it said aniseed, didn't sound right, aniseed is that shit in Gaviscon and blackjack sweets but i thought fuck it, what do i know, maybe it is...but i just googled cardamom and images showed up saunf.  Cardamom, never fuckin' heard of that before, learn something new everyday.  But yeah, thats the shit my lot stick in the milky tea.

I just used cardamom seeds while making a quick curry last night! This is what they look like, can get them in any supermarket:

cardamom-pods-green-1.jpg

Still, my favourite tea is without milk or sugar. A nice cup of Earl Grey, or some Assam-style tea (think that's the preference in Iran). I tried Lady Grey tea for the first time yesterday, not bad but a bit too citrus-y.

18 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Tea without milk is uncivilised.

Tea with milk gets rid of all the aroma and taste that make a good tea something special.

It's like smothering a good steak with ketchup.

Edited by Amir

I'm on the halfway mark with both you fags but slightly leaning more to the Iranian one.  Whilst it's the same fwith  my lot and how milk vs no milk is perceived,  it's total third world mentality IMO. Just like how fuckin all curry munchers have this huge fuckin phobia of going in the sun and getting black as a result.  Cos it all goes back to if you're a proper dusky black olive looking cunt that means you're probably of lower class, ergo working a manual job out in the fields all day.  Like who gives a fuck?

Edited by Johnny Drama

59 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Not enough milk in that tea Len. 

image.jpeg

Thats a proper fuckin working class nothern plebs cup of tea that is, i bet you put the fuckin milk in first too, didnt you, you fuckin illiterate :lol:. Awful, just awful.  The fuckin monkeys they advertise it'd do a better job than that.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

Thats a proper fuckin working class nothern plebs cup of tea that is, i bet you put the fuckin milk in first too, didnt you, you fuckin illiterate :lol:. Awful, just awful.  The fuckin monkeys they advertise it'd do a better job than that.

Always the teabag in first you horrible man! :lol:

Samovars are Russian originally; tea first came over from China through the Silk Road into Iran (it used to be coffee that was the hot beverage of choice, all the ghaveh-khanehs became chai-khanehs with the introduction of tea), but the Russians had an influence with the tea culture by bringing over samovars and stakans (the latter called estakan in Farsi as they don't have words with two consecutive consonants, much like Japanese):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table-glass

7469-41531.jpg

That's rock sugar/rock candy in the tea, often flavoured with saffron. I think it's alright, a bit too sweet for my taste but nice as an occasional treat/while smoking a shisha pipe.

I just googled the history of tea in Iran, thought this was brilliant:

http://www.iranreview.org/content/Documents/Tea-in-Iranian-Culture.htm

index(8).jpeg

At the time the English had a strict monopoly of tea production in India, with rigid rules against non-Europeans engaging in this trade. Kashef Al Saltaneh, who had studied in Paris as a young man and was fluent in French, went to India, posed as a French businessman, learned the trade and smuggled some tea saplings and seeds to Iran.

Has anyone used any of Mary Berry's books?

I'm currently halfway through a 2-hour journey (and it is a journey) making a spaghetti bolognese. It's going to be gone 11pm before we eat. This was written for housewives. 

Which gives me enough time to get sloshed on the leftover wine beforehand. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Has anyone used any of Mary Berry's books?

I'm currently halfway through a 2-hour journey (and it is a journey) making a spaghetti bolognese. It's going to be gone 11pm before we eat. This was written for housewives. 

Which gives me enough time to get sloshed on the leftover wine beforehand. 

Is the leftover wine red? If so, save some for the bolognese, will smell and taste amazing.

7 minutes ago, Amir said:

Is the leftover wine red? If so, save some for the bolognese, will smell and taste amazing.

Amir, I'm one step ahead, it is red wine and it's in the recipe. Since my husband's already been to the pub it looks like I'll be finishing the bottle myself. I'll stop posting for tonight. Me drunk posting is only entertaining to myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

That goateed chap she works with, Paul Hollywood? What a wanker. Am I the only one who thinks he is the kind of guy who looks in the mirror in the morning saying to himself, ''ladies''. He likes Spanish tarts of both the culinary and human persuasion.

He does come off as a complete cock, yes. When he tried to flirt with that Ruby girl from a few seasons ago...CRINGE!