What are you eating?

inthisriver

On 2/15/2016 at 6:11 PM, Rovim said:

Avocado on toast with garlic powder, hot peppers, a few olives, lemon, and salt.

See why can't I eat like this? I would never have thought of having something like that tonight in a million years but I bet it was lovely. I had beans, sausages and a jacket potato followed by a bowl of Rice Krispies. Again.

I started cooking this year, more meals from base ingredients, rather than frozen or ready-made food. To cook 3 recipes a week instead of buying ready-made food increases our grocery bill by at least 30%.  I suppose you can see cooking as a hobby, and of course some ingredients aren't cheap. But I can totally understand why it's easy to become obese if buying frozen food is the only affordable option.

35 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I started cooking this year, more meals from base ingredients, rather than frozen or ready-made food. To cook 3 recipes a week instead of buying ready-made food increases our grocery bill by at least 30%.  I suppose you can see cooking as a hobby, and of course some ingredients aren't cheap. But I can totally understand why it's easy to become obese if buying frozen food is the only affordable option.

You can actually eat cheaper I find (than ready made) by being selective. If you keep everything vegetarian (or meat to a minimum), noodle and pasta dishes are very cheap. Tinned tomatoes, a bulb of garlic, seasoning and a big bag of dried pasta can go along way. You can probably get about six servings out it - or more if you use it as accompaniment to something else.

Stews and dishes like that are also cheap - peasant food of course. Use bacon for flavour: potatoes, bacon, onions and chicken stock. This can feed a whole family for two days.

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You can actually eat cheaper I find (than ready made) by being selective. If you keep everything vegetarian (or meat to a minimum), noodle and pasta dishes are very cheap. Tinned tomatoes, a bulb of garlic, seasoning and a big bag of dried pasta can go along way. You can probably get about six servings out it - or more if you use it as accompaniment to something else.

Stews and dishes like that are also cheap - peasant food of course. Use bacon for flavour: potatoes, bacon, onions and chicken stock. This can feed a whole family for two days.

My favorite go to quick meal is a tin of beans with hot dog sausages chopped up into them. A 4 pack of Branson beans is £2 and a pack of 10 hotdogs is £1. You need 5 dogs per tin so for a week your gonna need to spend £4 on beans and £3 on sausages. That's 8 tins of beans and 30 hotdogs for a weeks worth of teas.

I'd always have a bowl of cereal for desert so let's add another fiver for some Rice Krispies and a couple of pints of milk.

Prep couldn't be easier. Chop 5 hotdogs and microwave on a plate for 4 min,  set them aside and microwave a tin of beans for 4 mins. Add sausages to beans and season to taste.

So for £12 you can have a hot filling meal and pudding (sort of) every night of the week.

45 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I bought 6 sirloin steaks from M&S for £13 today and a few baking potatoes. Did that hollowy out thingy with a spud and a steak each and that's three meals for two for under £20. Really good going I think. 

Yes, you save if you buy bulk and spread it out. Coincidentally I have just done that with a big pack of salmon I bought for £9. Four massive salmon fillets, four meals (and a fish stock made with the head) yet I could have halved them if I was not so greedy and produced eight meals. Mince is good also. I'm not much of a carnivore but my mother buys beef mince a lot and it tends to go a long way in meals like mince and dumplings and spag bol, feeding various extended family members who get a tupperware put up. Here is another tip. Rather than buy a pack of supermarket cut chicken breasts buy a whole chicken and joint it yourself. It will cost you about £2-3 more and will be a messy bloodbath yet you get the legs, the wings and a carcass to turn into a stock for a soup or a stew. Freeze the wings. The tastiest meat is on the wings yet there is hardly any on it so build them up over time and when you have enough, turn them into a dish.

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I had a good student friend who enjoyed being poor. He embraced poverty by quickly spending any money he got in his hands so he could go back to that romanticed living-off-scraps life he was into. Anyway, he found that potatoes was some of the chepeast he could eat. He basically bought one big potato and that was his dinner. He also stole ketchup packets from Burger King to go with macaroni of he ever had visitors over, to sort of splurge a bit.

On topic: Whatever I can find at a lounge in Stuttgart airport. And since I will be going straight to a party when I get home, I am trying to get drunk. Currently on beer, moving to wine now (because I don't want a beer bladder on the planes).

13 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

That looks quite nice by your standards. I haven't got a fucking clue what it is but at least there's a bit of colour going on there :lol:

I dunno what it is either, i just point at it in the shop, 'i'll have that one' :lol:  It's like a big bit of fuckin' bread with melted cheese and mushrooms and chicken and sweetcorn and bits of gherkin and them little fuckin' green things that i dunno the name of.