Disney Apparently Considering Rebooting Indiana Jones

Graeme

Can't they just leave anything dead?

Let's be honest, anyone paying attention during the Disney/Lucasfilm acquisition knew this was only a matter of time.

I thought maybe they'd still try to retain Ford for another flick, though (especially since he's doing Star Wars), but maybe they're concerned that with his age it'll be too difficult to film such big action films back-to-back-to-back.

Here's my thought on this: we're entering an era where a lot of "classic" films now feature stars who are too old (or even are simply deceased) and can't return to the original roles, and Hollywood isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's inevitable that these franchises are going to continue to be resurrected, rebooted, toyed with, sequeled, whatever. I just can't wait for the Internet uproar when they announce Back to the Future is being rebooted. :lol:

What I'm getting at is, over the next few decades more and more series and films will be given sequels and reboots with new actors, and it's pointless to complain, really, because Hollywood is a business, so they're going to keep going back to the money-makers.

That all said, I'm not in favor of a new Indy movie - but I think they could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Pratt, and he's one of the actors out there who, I think, could do the role some justice, and help transition it away from Ford, and there are worse names that could have been thrown out there. So let's give it benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Maybe Brad Bird can direct it?

They gotta do something, I don't think Harrison has another one left in him.

No they don't. This is the problem with applying business ethics to artistic decisions... They could just say "Indiana Jones was great" and leave it at that, but they won't because they're greedy profiteering arseholes.

There's no need to let the brand die, there's a new generation coming that could get behind their own version without needing to watch the 80s stuff. How many Superman have there been? from the 40s onwards there's been someone in the blue tights flying around in front of the camera or in voice overs. If Indy can transcend Harrison's era, it would be a good thing for the character. Like James Bond, I want to see what they do with it now.

Why must, some new generation possess their own versions of Indiana Jones. Bond is Bond and that is how the franchise happened, with different actors coming in.Indiana Jones, for better or worse, is identified with Ford. Also, like most great films, they possess a timeless quality - at the very minimum, Raiders of the Lost Arc possesses this. Why can't they simply discover the original films? So long as the prints of the originals exist, the brand will never die. They are there for future generations to discover.

• Like 1

Why must, some new generation possess their own versions of Indiana Jones.

Not necessarily a "must" but big Hollywood has decided there might be. I don't blame them, you can only refer people to older movies for so long. Each generation likes to have their own, I bet half the kids that watched the M.Bay Transformers movies, have never even seen the G1 cartoon. The 80s was a long time ago.

Edited by moreblack

Can't they just leave anything dead?

Let's be honest, anyone paying attention during the Disney/Lucasfilm acquisition knew this was only a matter of time.

I thought maybe they'd still try to retain Ford for another flick, though (especially since he's doing Star Wars), but maybe they're concerned that with his age it'll be too difficult to film such big action films back-to-back-to-back.

Here's my thought on this: we're entering an era where a lot of "classic" films now feature stars who are too old (or even are simply deceased) and can't return to the original roles, and Hollywood isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's inevitable that these franchises are going to continue to be resurrected, rebooted, toyed with, sequeled, whatever. I just can't wait for the Internet uproar when they announce Back to the Future is being rebooted. :lol:

What I'm getting at is, over the next few decades more and more series and films will be given sequels and reboots with new actors, and it's pointless to complain, really, because Hollywood is a business, so they're going to keep going back to the money-makers.

That all said, I'm not in favor of a new Indy movie - but I think they could do a hell of a lot worse than Chris Pratt, and he's one of the actors out there who, I think, could do the role some justice, and help transition it away from Ford, and there are worse names that could have been thrown out there. So let's give it benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

Maybe Brad Bird can direct it?

I see some value in people complaining about it, as long as they back it up by not supporting reboot after reboot with their money. You're 100% right though, that this is the direction Hollywood has been and is heading, but it's a pity.

I wonder if they would make it in the present day, which would change the whole tone of the movie, and in that case, Chris Pratt could play a modern day uni prof.and digger and how he looked and sounded wouldn't matter. Ford was playing a professor from the 30s and 40s.

We can't say if someone's miscast when we haven't seen audition footage, but Ford had only made a few movies when he made Raiders.

Maybe the problem in this case is that Indy IV was too recent to do a reboot.

Can't be any worse than this

He was Spielberg and Lucas' first choice for Indy, and he was cast but had to drop out just two weeks before filming began because the producers of Magnum, PI wouldn't let him out of his contract. Harrison Ford was basically the last choice to play Indiana Jones. George Lucas in particular did not want him because he didn't want Harrison Ford to become his "DeNiro", meaning the guy he casted in everything he did like Scorsese did with DeNiro.

I see they've linked Chris Pratt to this.

Wrong choice. Indiana Jones is a doctor. Could you see Chris Pratt as a professor giving a lecture on archaeology?

Maybe Bradley Cooper? I think he can get the right mix of serious, action and humour.

Yeah I reaaaally don't like Chris Pratt being cast in roles like this. He seems off for Jurassic World and he'd be off in this.

Not that I care about Indiana Jones in the first place, but terrible casting choice.

• 8 months later...

Even as a kid, Temple Of Doom stunk...Raiders and The Last Crusade stand tall, Temple is just OK and the last one was pretty woeful.

Plenty woeful.

Temple of Doom is an amazing ride, it's my favorite out of the series. So much adventure, stunts, religious mumbo jumbo and spectacle that I'll gladly overlook Willie and the historical inaccuracies. It's a cinematic delight and the score by Williams great from start to finish. Raiders is epic too, Last Crusade merely charming but you could tell the series was played out by then. Crystal Skull was so bad I can't believe Spielberg was in any way associated with it. They should have never fired Frank Darabont from that.

If they do reboot the series, I wish they were contractually bound to use shia labeouf who has now become the Nick Nolte of Hollywood.

As for Chris Pratt, I thought he was funny on Parks & rec, but Jurassic World was a bore of a film and I have zero interest in seeing him play Indy.

• Like 2