Where is the business sense in this band?

It was the record company who wanted to release GH. Axl was opposed to it.

Yeah that's correct, its one of the best selling albums of the last 10 years.
Oh I don't disagree, but you can't say that the release of GH is something Axl planned or decided. That's simply not true.

Oh I agree.

It was the record company who wanted to release GH. Axl was opposed to it.

Yeah that's correct, its one of the best selling albums of the last 10 years.
Oh I don't disagree, but you can't say that the release of GH is something Axl planned or decided. That's simply not true.

But that was everybody though wasn't it, not just Axl? I'm pretty Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy were on the same side and tried to block this.
Yes, they were all against releasing it, that's what I'm saying.
  • Like 1

If Axl was hard up for cash he might start singing a different tune, but I think he's comfortable enough and the GNR name is still big enough of a drawcard that he doesn't have to play ball...and he doesn't want to play ball.

That's the deal right there. Dude is comfortable and won't do anything he doesn't want to do. Sucks for fans, but he is a grown man with lots of dough, if he wants to sit around and fuck off, he can. Maybe he will find some kind of motivation one day.

• Like 1

Well the business sense is in the fact there ain't been a band since the early 90s and a great many people are stealing eating off of it, thats pretty good fuckin' business sense to me. The business sense is in Axl having a controlling interest in it over and above the other members who helped get it up and running, the business sense is in releasing one fuckin' album in over 20 years and still managing to make money out of it, i imagine there are a lot of lives sustained off the back of this band.

Nobody wants to force Axl to do anything. What is unfortunate is the mixed messages. On one hand Axl said during a Vegas show back in 2001 that they were recording 2 other albums besides CD. In 2009 in the interview with Del James he said he didn´t care about a CD follow up soon. Now we have DJ, Richard and Dizzy saying the have recording and Axl also has been recording vocals. So if nothing is coming up soon or just nothing coming up at all. Well then somebody has to make things clear.

Well the business sense is in the fact there ain't been a band since the early 90s and a great many people are stealing eating off of it, thats pretty good fuckin' business sense to me. The business sense is in Axl having a controlling interest in it over and above the other members who helped get it up and running, the business sense is in releasing one fuckin' album in over 20 years and still managing to make money out of it, i imagine there are a lot of lives sustained off the back of this band.

My point is not that he doesn't make good money off the name and past. My point is that he ....or they have half assed it since the comeback. He may have enough money but everyone wants more. Since he ...or they have half assed it for the last 15 years there is no reason that they could have common business sense to succeed even more.

I don't think you should consider GN'R a business, and if you do, I doubt this business has a business mission that says anything about optimizing dialogue with fans,

GnR, like every other band no matter how big, or small are all businesses. They offer a product, we buy it. Because we're their customer base, it's important to have some dialogue between the two. Without a dialogue between the two, communication breaks down, people move on to a new product and you're left with a customer base that has shrunk drastically to just the people who REALLY, REALLY! like what you do.

I respect that Axl doesn't want to do interviews, but doing a handful each year wouldn't really hurt and it would likely boost his public image which has been tarnished a lot since his reign on top.

The reason Axl doesn't come to mygnr and talk is simple, if he comes on here he's going to be insulted by a handful of very vocal detractors of his current band. The threads on this site mostly centre around Axl and GnR's failings, and while the criticisms are fair I think we all know that the GnR camp disagree with our opinions, and think we hate the band, while we obviously just love the band WAY! too much, and want the band to function more cohesively.

As for why he doesn't do more interviews elsewhere? I don't think that's so easy to answer. My guess is that he really is that bothered unless he needs to promote something, and if he doesn't do interviews he doesn't have to worry about people misinterpreting his comments, making him any more hated than he already is.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

Believe it or not, the Vegas shows are good business sense. It's a guaranteed pay day whereas with touring, you're relying on ticket sales which GN'R no longer can. The Best Buy deal was good business sense. Guaranteed $$$'s always trumps risk.

The album was promo'd like shit but I'd imagine the label recouped a lot of their funds and thought "no chance we're pouring more money into this shit show (thanks DJ!)".

Maybe another 3 hour meeting is needed to give us an update.

That first 3 hour meeting was about announcing that they would give the fans what they want 'information'. The next 3 hour meeting would probably discuss the 'when' they should give such earth quake inducing information... "We're going back on the road" Woooooah!!!!! mind altering stuff!!! :o "We're in the studio!! new album coming in May" ...actually that would be a legitimate "Woooooah!!!!!" moment considering the facts :P

In all seriousness that tweet about giving us the information is just so bloody funny in retrospect, it just proved how clueless that whole team is. If you're going to go out and make a statement at least have a plan of action to follow it up. It made Fernando look like a complete chump, I'm pretty sure he's the "genius manager" RF spoke of, seems to add up :)

I have a rant in response to your own ;)

Marc Canter has enough sense to come on this forum to promote a book. Out of all the yes men that are employed in GNR, why not have an official spokesman for the forums / official websites and other Internet activities? I really like the music created over the years but I can't wrap my head around how they run their business. I dunno maybe they like being mildly successful. Or maybe they make so much off the foreign touring market that they feel like it is a success. My apologies for the rant. Anyone else feel like a rant of their own?

Marc Canter is only on this forum to help shift the tens of thousands of unsold copies of his book. Had Axl endorsed his product he wouldn't be here. It's not business sense, it's desperation.

GN'R does have a spokesman for the official websites. See their official website, official Twitter page, and official Facebook page - they all get updated when GN'R wants them updated. Is that not enough? Send them a question their, and if they don't reply it's probably because it's buried amongst the hundreds of other non-important fan communications sent that day.

On top of hiring a web development team (Ground Ctrl) for the official website, hiring Backplane for the official fan community (ParadiseCity.com), and hiring ghost writers for their social media outlets, you also expect Axl to hire a forum spokesperson just to answer our every little question? :rofl-lol: That would mean paying another $20k per year salary, and it wouldn't be profitable for GN'R business. Can you explain the business sense in paying that additional salary? How does responding to the fan uproar everytime Bumblefoot throws a hissyfit convert to making GNR money?

If there is nothing to announce, then there is nothing to announce. When there is something "newsworthy" why on earth would he want to announce it here, compared to the promotion which a multinational news outlet could offer him, and would probably pay him for for the exclusive?

Get real guys. Axl has millions of $$ in his bank account (or at least in "assets" such as the GNR name), and the only kind of business Axl should be worrying about is the kind which might add an extra zero on the end of his bank balance - which doesn't include posting on Mygnr (and any of the dozens of other forums which I presume also need a spokesperson hiring for?), or releasing a new album, since both would generate jackshit compared to touring.

It's the same reason he goes out and plays Jungle, Sweet Child and Paradise City year after year. Millions of casual fans (in Europe and South America at least) will pay good money to hear those songs live, even without the original lineup, but they won't pay to hear a setlist of new material or unreleased Chi Dem 2 songs, and Axl knows this. The majority want the hits, and the majority is where the moneys at.

Typical Frustated Mygnr Member: Yeh but it wouldn't hurt to switch out one song from the setlist for an unreleased song!!! Think of the promotionzzz OMG!!!

That same promotion will still be available when Axl needs it. If he doesn't need or want it right now then that is Axls choice, as a business owner and as Numero Uno in GNR Corp 2015. When you run a company turning over tens of millions of dollars per year you'll have the luxury of making similiar choices.

Axl clearly has more business sense than most of this forum. Unfortunately I do agree with the OP, and the rest of you, and would like nothing more than some news, & new songs etc, but I can appreciate Axls position and don't doubt his business acumen. Im self employed and only have a few $k in the savings account and already my work ethic has been reduced to minimal ^_^

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1

I don't think you should consider GN'R a business, and if you do, I doubt this business has a business mission that says anything about optimizing dialogue with fans,

They offer a product, we buy it.

Am I missing something here?

Yep, the rest of the message that gave it context ;) the product = albums, live shows, merch etc.

Edited by Tom2112

GnR, like every other band no matter how big, or small are all businesses.

Yes, of course. My point was more in the vein of that we would do us a service to not think of GN'R as a business because they obviously don't think of themselves as one.

Axl doesn't care about the money! He's all about the art! :jerkoff:

I swear to fuck, some people are blind. It's a music business. There's a product and an interest to make money as well as some kind of fucked up artistic statement. Axl's vision. (Seymour weeping)

Edited by Rovim

Of course he cares about the money. But, it seems he doesn't care about business that much ...

In some way, it's (almost) all about the art ... the money is that good thing that comes with it ...

EDIT:

I just saw this (Fortus on Axl):

"I've never met someone who has so much genuine musical integrity. He won't himself out for business, he won't for money, it's just about the music. He won't defend himself in the press because he doesn't think it matters - it's just about the music. That's all he cares about. You know, I've worked with a lot of people in this business and I've never seen or met anybody who was motivated purely by that - by the desire to make art. And you can say whatever you want about him, because he's not going to defend himself, but he is that- and that's for sure."

:shrugs:

Edited by GUNNER PT
  • Like 1

Of course he cares about the money. But, it seems he doesn't care about business that much ...

In some way, it's (almost) all about the art ... the money is that good thing that comes with it ...

I fail to see the art in performing the same 25 year old songs show after show in a Tony Clifton costume. Anyone who thinks NuGNR has had anything to do with art since Bucket and Robin left needs to get they ass to a museum or something.

• Like 1

I fail to see the art in performing the same 25 year old songs show after show in a Tony Clifton costume. Anyone who thinks NuGNR has had anything to do with art since Bucket and Robin left needs to get they ass to a museum or something.

Art is a very subjective thing ... so ...

Some say this is pure art :lol: :

2570q9z.gif