Your Experience As A Fan Of GnR

If by replace you mean somehow make this diminishing returns circle jerk of a nostalgia sideshow somehow worthwhile? No. There's nothing. But if from here on in Axl releases a new album and does a proper tour behind it with a set list that features the new material prominently AND shows even a glimmer of 'I give a fuck' on stage then the future of this band may be worth something.

• Like 2

Back in the day there was a band called Guns N' Roses who rocked the world and released amazing music, Now also there is a band called Guns N' Roses but im a little confused about it, they release no music, its just one original member with other hired members trying to tour again and again with the music which that amazing band made back in the day

That amazing Axl back in late 1980's would have kicked Fat Axl's ass who now tries to tour with a band called "Guns N' Roses"

• Like 2

Hum... Whats going on since 1994?

I guess ur the Famous Nico, If you get an opportunity to do an Interview with Slash again, can you ask him that why doesn't he calls out Izzy to do a few shows with him? He said that Izzy was the best rhythm guitarist to work with, so it would be great to see him with Izzy again

• Like 1

If by replace you mean somehow make this diminishing returns circle jerk of a nostalgia sideshow somehow worthwhile? No. There's nothing. But if from here on in Axl releases a new album and does a proper tour behind it with a set list that features the new material prominently AND shows even a glimmer of 'I give a fuck' on stage then the future of this band may be worth something.

Probably too hopeful, but exactly this.

Hum... Whats going on since 1994?

I guess ur the Famous Nico, If you get an opportunity to do an Interview with Slash again, can you ask him that why doesn't he calls out Izzy to do a few shows with him? He said that Izzy was the best rhythm guitarist to work with, so it would be great to see him with Izzy again
No, I'm not, you should be mistaken. But if I meet Slash, I ask him the question : ) . This is a good question... Edited by nico_france

Will anything replace your experience of being a fan of GnR post break up.

I have no idea what you are asking. Are you talking about the dissolution of the UYI lineup and my experiences after that? In general, I don't think my experiences are replaced, but they can certainly be topped or exceeded by better experiences, which is true for my appreciation of "new GN'R" -- there are many bands I have enjoyed more than GN'R since 1996. That being said, GN'R is still massively entertaining, and I am not only talking about the recents shows and latest record.

Probably will never have the excitement I had for GNR from release of ChiDem 2008 to RIR 2011. Never liked a band that much, and I feel like music obsession/band fandom is a young man's game. After seeing Springsteen for first time in 2013 I got pretty into his music and concerts, but it wasn't the near-religious experience that was seeing Axl for the first time in 2010. Even at 26 I doubt I'll ever have that fervour again, it's like teenage love and extremes in emotion, people tend to grow out of them.

For about 3 or 4 years after it came out I listened to ChiDem obsessively and could really identify with the grandiose heightened sentiments of songs like Better, TWAT, Madagascar and Prostitute. Now I still enjoy the songs, but I not as much because I'm not in that headspace any more. I'm sure I'll dig new music but I'm also certain whatever is released would have resonated with me more a few years ago.

I think ChiDem caught me right at the end of when I could just lose myself to music. It's like how I still appreciate NIN musically, but I can't "drown" myself in a song like The Great Below like I used to, or listen to A Warm Place on repeat for hours on end.

• Like 2

I have no idea what you are asking. Are you talking about the dissolution of the UYI lineup and my experiences after that? In general, I don't think my experiences are replaced, but they can certainly be topped or exceeded by better experiences, which is true for my appreciation of "new GN'R" -- there are many bands I have enjoyed more than GN'R since 1996. That being said, GN'R is still massively entertaining, and I am not only talking about the recents shows and latest record.

That's what I was trying to say. My personal experience is I wasn't a fan until 2000/2001, so I jumped on the 'new' GnR, via htgt, my gnr. I was super hyped when RockInRio 3 happened, it was the 'return' of Axl and witnessing the new band members and giant axeman Buckethead. Another goosebump moment was VMA's 2002, which I recorded on VHS, due to heavy rumours and when I walk up and put on VHS I was stoked, maybe not the best Axl performance vocal wise but I think he put everything into it and the stage presence showed that, its been a ride ever since.

For me after the release of Chinese I really liked the lineup and the live gigs, but following 2012 even the tours looked repetitive and the vegas residencies had some highlights but any momentum gained by those tours feels lost. At that time when Axl was doing actual press it seemed like a new album was actually a possibility, instead we got a concert blu-ray. Face it, the biggest thing that happened after that was Axl not showing up at the RnR Hall of Fame, and Duff joining in for a couple of gigs. Not much has happened since.

That's what I was trying to say. My personal experience is I wasn't a fan until 2000/2001, so I jumped on the 'new' GnR, via htgt, my gnr. I was super hyped when RockInRio 3 happened, it was the 'return' of Axl and witnessing the new band members and giant axeman Buckethead. Another goosebump moment was VMA's 2002, which I recorded on VHS, due to heavy rumours and when I walk up and put on VHS I was stoked, maybe not the best Axl performance vocal wise but I think he put everything into it and the stage presence showed that, its been a ride ever since.

I understand. I come from a different place. I was a big GN'R fan back in the late 80s. Nothing can top that. Nor should it. Since 1996 I have had a rather detached interest in GN'R.

• Like 2

My experience?

Waiting....

It seemed like forever waiting for the Illusion albums to come out. (If only I knew them what I know now.?)

Pretty much just waiting ever since, with the exception of course when CD came out. And then after that, back to more waiting. ?

• Like 2

Pink Floyd still have a strong following even if they don't exist as a band. Roger, David and Nick all seem active for a "retired" band.

I was going to mention that. If anything, GN'R replaced my experience as a Pink Floyd fan in as much as I've already been through over a decade of the main two guys in a band hating each other and so on.

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll say this: I regret not enjoying and not being more into GNR after 2001 and up to 2011. I kinda got lost in the game. I had some personal problems during those years and walked out from "fangirldom" for quite some time, even with ChinDem out I drifted away, and now I'm back.

However, I don't think I will be a die-hard fan of any band/artist ever again... I'm too old for that and I lack the time. I'm into GNR because I've been into them (even with absent periods) since I was a teenager, it's like natural for me to be a GNR fan and know all the things I know about them. I doubt I could get so deep into knowledge with another artist.

I do like a lot of artists and GNR is not the only music I listen to, but as far as fan-stuff is concerned, I'm done with all that and I agree with Amir that this must be a thing you feel and do when you are a teen and got all that energy and time to be spent on artists.

Now I have to put all my little energy into making a living :max:

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll say this: I regret not enjoying and not being more into GNR after 2001 and up to 2011. I kinda got lost in the game. I had some personal problems during those years and walked out from "fangirldom" for quite some time, even with ChinDem out I drifted away, and now I'm back.

However, I don't think I will be a die-hard fan of any band/artist ever again... I'm too old for that and I lack the time. I'm into GNR because I've been into them (even with absent periods) since I was a teenager, it's like natural for me to be a GNR fan and know all the things I know about them. I doubt I could get so deep into knowledge with another artist.

I do like a lot of artists and GNR is not the only music I listen to, but as far as fan-stuff is concerned, I'm done with all that and I agree with Amir that this must be a thing you feel and do when you are a teen and got all that energy and time to be spent on artists.

Now I have to put all my little energy into making a living :max:

I was pretty drunk when I made this thread. Understananble, the culture and society has changed so much in 20 years, I'm just glad I got to experience life before, social media kicked in.

I was pretty drunk when I made this thread. Understananble, the culture and society has changed so much in 20 years, I'm just glad I got to experience life before, social media kicked in.

Umm... my experience as an adolescent fan of GNR was amazing because I was a kid and all I had to do in those years was going to school and being into GNR, lol. Man, that was life!

But I'm not sure I'm happy it happened before social media and Internet... If back then I could have had access to all there is now to be closer to our idols, I would have gone nuts and not struggle so much to find news and follow the band.

• Like 1

Umm... my experience as an adolescent fan of GNR was amazing because I was a kid and all I had to do in those years was going to school and being into GNR, lol. Man, that was life!

But I'm not sure I'm happy it happened before social media and Internet... If back then I could have had access to all there is now to be closer to our idols, I would have gone nuts and not struggle so much to find news and follow the band.

Yeah. When GnR was at the height of there popularity say 1992 I was like seven years old, for me personally it would be at least another eight years before I started listening to Guns.

AFD dropped my freshman year of High School

UYI I and II dropped my Senior year of High School

so basically, they were the soundtrack of my teen years and early 20s.

I started listening to them before Headbangers Ball aired the Ritz show for the 1st time.

• Like 1

*shrug* I don't know if there's anything to replace. I was really a big fan during the AfD/Illusions era. I was a little kid when AfD came out, I got into them when the WttJ video was out, and I remember running home to see the Sweet Child video premiere on MTV. As someone else mentioned above, Guns N' Roses was sort of a childhood soundtrack for me.

I didn't come back until 2006. And since then even though I enjoy discussing the band it isn't as though it matters one way or the other.

Edited by stella