CD's biggest mistake

From a popularity point of view I think the biggest mistake of CD was the choice of songs to be included on the album. When I listen to it now there are some classic sounding songs and others more experimental. It feels like the songs came from two or three different albums and were then just put together almost at random. A few songs from this album, some from that album etc. and then presented to the public. Whether this unfortunate song selection was caused by the leaks we don't know. I don't think they fit very well together. It's ironic given the amount of time spent on the album. The same applies to errors in the booklet. You would think these things would be near perfect given the time spent on the project. Instead it sometimes come off as a rushed project.

The main challenge for CD was the enormous amount of time it took for it to be released coupled with the legacy of the once biggest band in the world. Combined it made for huge huge expectations. If you want to meet those expectations (if), the song selection should have been better. IMO the album contains some great songs with that classic sound. Street of Dreams, Madagascar, TIL and IRS. These are great songs that deserved to be on the album. Sorry, Better, CITR and CD maybe. The rest are probably too weak to be included in such a hugely anticipated album. I do like those songs, but I can see the point where people would expect much more from this exceptional record.

Given there are so many more songs allegedly around in the vault, I think this was the biggest mistake for CD at least if you wanted to meet the expectations of the people. Given that the songs in the vault are any better (or if they even exist). Of course Axl's main focus could have been just to release the songs he always wanted to make, but from a popularity point of view song selection should have been better. In the end expectations were what probably made it impossible to succeed together with the profound changes in the music industry and the decline of popularity of the Rock genre.

Edited by seagullview
  • Like 1

The biggest mistake about CD is CD itself. It should not exist as a Guns N' Roses album.

Same for NuGNR.

It's pointless discussing the flaws of either whilst ignoring the biggest flaw in that they exist in the first place.

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 3

The biggest mistake about CD is CD itself. It should not exist as a Guns N' Roses album.

Same for NuGNR.

It's pointless discussing the flaws of either whilst ignoring the biggest flaw in that they exist in the first place.

I can't believe you as a GN'R fan don't like any of the songs on CD?

Just listened to IRS from Rock am Ring, 2006. It's as good as it gets

Same for NuGNR.

I can't believe you as a GN'R fan don't like any of the songs on CD?

Just listened to IRS from Rock am Ring, 2006. It's as good as it gets

I don't.

No it isn't.

Nicholson.gif

(When you mentioned as good as it gets that gif had to be posted :lol: )

Waited too long to release album

Wrong first single

Axl stopped promoting it

No music videos

Releasing it on Myspace

Selling it to Best Buy

Keeping the GnR name

Those were the mistakes, in a nutshell

What would the biggest mistake be if you had to choose just one?

Well its a great album, it has some really amazing songs, but well the mistakes were it took so much time to get released, Axl kept on delaying and delaying, it could have easily released in 1999 or 2000

It should not have been released under the GNR name, As a GNR fan I like AC/DC, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, but there songs are not GNR songs

Axl should have just gone by the name A.X.L or Axl Rose, he would have earned more respect from people

I feel the song selection was the biggest mistake as it's a direct influence on the product. Had the product been stronger those other factors wouldn't have mattered that much. Obviously I'm going by the assumption there were other stronger songs to choose from which may or may not be the case.

The biggest mistake was the delays and the hype. The album became infamous years before being released. Most of the songs had been performed years in advance. Axl created hype that made many people expect the greatest album ever. People always say CD is a great album, its just not what people expected. When you look behond the hype and the shenanigans it really is a great album.

• Like 2

Wrong first single

Axl stopped promoting it

No music videos

Releasing it on Myspace

Selling it to Best Buy

Keeping the GnR name

What would the biggest mistake be if you had to choose just one?

Tough question.

The obvious would be him keeping the name. BUT I think Axl could have worked around that by simply releasing more music.

So for me......his biggest mistake is waiting until 2008 to release an album.

If he'd released quality albums in 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013 I think the majority of Axl Rose hate would have dissipated a long time ago.

I agree that the biggest mistake was taking sooo damn long. Nothing could have lived up to all that hype and mystique. It was bound to be a let down. Anything that takes that long allows people's imagination to run wild with all sorts of ideas and gives the idea that something revolutionary is about to take place. The sad reality is that's its just some very good rock music that came out and nothing really special. The music scene also changed so dramatically while this was being re recorded for the 100th time. Nothing (besides Taylor Swift) sells like it did 15 yrs ago. He really missed the boat with the timing and the fact that nothing has followed it up in 7 yrs reenforces the crazy Axl perception who wastes his time and can't accomplish anything.

I think the album gets a lot of harsh criticisms. Did people seriously think it was going to be the highest selling album of all time? I think he did a damn fine job, he released an album 15 years after GnR were most popular, Slash had gone to jam with Space Dog & Sponge-Bob, so he needed to find somebody who could pull off riffs without taking up half the song in the process and didn't need a spotlight on him at all times..he found Buckethead.

Wrong first single

Axl stopped promoting it

No music videos

Releasing it on Myspace

Selling it to Best Buy

Keeping the GnR name

Keeping the G n' R name was probably a mistake. A new band name would have helped with the 'Axl's moving on' vibe for the public.

I think the album gets a lot of harsh criticisms. Did people seriously think it was going to be the highest selling album of all time? I think he did a damn fine job, he released an album 15 years after GnR were most popular, Slash had gone to jam with Space Dog & Sponge-Bob, so he needed to find somebody who could pull off riffs without taking up half the song in the process and didn't need a spotlight on him at all times..he found Buckethead.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

There isn't a singular 'biggest mistake', because pretty much the entire project was a clusterfuck.

What would've been best, was release CD in '99-00, do a short tour, release another album and maybe some re-worked CD songs once Buckethead was on board ('01 or '02), then the third album in 2006-7, and one more since then. I suppose you could say the singular biggest mistake is having a singular album in 15~ years.

Chinese Democracy biggest mistake is Axl's cheesy bitter crybaby lyrics and terribly awful vocals.

Bitter is good. Bitter and angry.

You guys need to be sent into space, then come back and relisten to CD lol

'Cause the first thing I would do after being sent into space is listening to CD. :lol:

• Like 1