CD's biggest mistake

From a popularity point of view I think the biggest mistake of CD was the choice of songs to be included on the album. When I listen to it now there are some classic sounding songs and others more experimental. It feels like the songs came from two or three different albums and were then just put together almost at random. A few songs from this album, some from that album etc. and then presented to the public. Whether this unfortunate song selection was caused by the leaks we don't know. I don't think they fit very well together. It's ironic given the amount of time spent on the album. The same applies to errors in the booklet. You would think these things would be near perfect given the time spent on the project. Instead it sometimes come off as a rushed project.

The main challenge for CD was the enormous amount of time it took for it to be released coupled with the legacy of the once biggest band in the world. Combined it made for huge huge expectations. If you want to meet those expectations (if), the song selection should have been better. IMO the album contains some great songs with that classic sound. Street of Dreams, Madagascar, TIL and IRS. These are great songs that deserved to be on the album. Sorry, Better, CITR and CD maybe. The rest are probably too weak to be included in such a hugely anticipated album. I do like those songs, but I can see the point where people would expect much more from this exceptional record.

Given there are so many more songs allegedly around in the vault, I think this was the biggest mistake for CD at least if you wanted to meet the expectations of the people. Given that the songs in the vault are any better (or if they even exist). Of course Axl's main focus could have been just to release the songs he always wanted to make, but from a popularity point of view song selection should have been better. In the end expectations were what probably made it impossible to succeed together with the profound changes in the music industry and the decline of popularity of the Rock genre.

The biggest mistake with CD was that it didn't come out before 2002.

There. Now why did you need so much text for that?

Edited by username

I think the album gets a lot of harsh criticisms. Did people seriously think it was going to be the highest selling album of all time? I think he did a damn fine job, he released an album 15 years after GnR were most popular, Slash had gone to jam with Space Dog & Sponge-Bob, so he needed to find somebody who could pull off riffs without taking up half the song in the process and didn't need a spotlight on him at all times..he found Buckethead.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

dnd.gif

I think the album gets a lot of harsh criticisms. Did people seriously think it was going to be the highest selling album of all time? I think he did a damn fine job, he released an album 15 years after GnR were most popular, Slash had gone to jam with Space Dog & Sponge-Bob, so he needed to find somebody who could pull off riffs without taking up half the song in the process and didn't need a spotlight on him at all times..he found Buckethead.

dnd.gif

Maybe the worst movie ever made?

I know you are just tr*lling with most of your posts and Slash comments......but sometimes it worries me that you might actually be serious with what you say!

dnd.gif

I know you are just tr*lling with most of your posts and Slash comments......but sometimes it worries me that you might actually be serious with what you say!

What do you want to say Apollo?

I think Chinese Democracy is a great album. There are a couple of Marmite songs, but overall it is a strong album.

For me, the mixing and mastering has been over tinkered far too much. Prostitute is not the fire and ice that Buckmaster heard, that we heard with the leaks, because the solos are too quiet. Catcher in the Rye wounds watery. Better is also diluted a little, earlier versions were cutting, scything almost; a real powerful song.

When the new album comes, the sound wars experimentalist who mastered CD needs to be sidelined. Go back to Sterling Sounds, get the album mastered as God intended.

• Like 3

dnd.gif

Have a great weekend and realize that you don't have to pick a side in a feud between grown men.

dnd.gif

Have a great weekend and realize that you don't have to pick a side in a feud between grown men.

Well thank you very much, same to you. Fair enough.

• Like 1

I think Chinese Democracy is a great album. There are a couple of Marmite songs, but overall it is a strong album.

For me, the mixing and mastering has been over tinkered far too much. Prostitute is not the fire and ice that Buckmaster heard, that we heard with the leaks, because the solos are too quiet. Catcher in the Rye wounds watery. Better is also diluted a little, earlier versions were cutting, scything almost; a real powerful song.

When the new album comes, the sound wars experimentalist who mastered CD needs to be sidelined. Go back to Sterling Sounds, get the album mastered as God intended.

While I disagree on your assessment of the song quality I agree with you on the mastering and mixing. Just terrible. Undermines the entire album which is unforgiveable considering the time and money spent.

dnd.gif

Well thank you very much, same to you. Fair enough.

:hug:

I think the sound quality is superb. It's simply an album that doesn't work very good at low volume.

The dynamics are impressive.

You are right. It is superb.

On the average stereo, in the car, or on headphones from a phone, it is too quiet.

The Ice and Fire is lost unless you have a country house and a hi spec stereo

• Like 1

Even if released earlier I doubt it would be considered strong enough. Sure, the expectations would have been lower, but still big. However, the long delay must also have worked in the other direction creating additional curiosity and anticipation in a positive sense (meaning more people wanted to check it out). In the end what most people are actually saying is that it's just not strong enough.

Even if released earlier I doubt it would be considered strong enough. Sure, the expectations would have been lower, but still big. However, the long delay must also have worked in the other direction creating additional curiosity and anticipation in a positive sense (meaning more people wanted to check it out). In the end what most people are actually saying is that it's just not strong enough.

I wonder what would have been good enough without Slash. I think Axl made a fine album, or at least was a main part of a fine album.

I don't really mind not calling it Guns, but it sounds like Guns to me.

The songs are not disposable and they have great Axl vocals with great fuckin' solos all over it.

The only problem with Chinese is that it's just one album.

They would do themselves a favour by releasing a new album. Get the focus away from CD

I kind of like the idea of a more fun GNR album with reflections of the Vegas residencies. A few jokey acoustic songs. Some glam metal Dj rockers. Fortus could do some VU covers. Maybe like a cross between Spag Inc and Lies. I know it won't happen as CD II has pole position.

The biggest mistake was the "overthinking" of the whole project. Too many people involved, too much instrumentation, too long to be released. Axl is so fearful of failure and criticism that he adds everything but the kitchen sink, and records it 100 times over.

Axl should just release a stripped down, mostly acoustic album. People just want to hear him sing. Stick to simple melodies, don't worry about what the current trends are.

He's already had more criticism than anybody ever, who cares anymore?

Oh, and don't try and promote it as a "band". It's Axl and some session players. Just be honest.

Edited by Kira

Too many (rhythym) guitars at one time (4 or 5 on CD, Riad, CITR, TWAT, IRS, Prositute) Needs only 2 guitars hard panned to either side to sound less cluttered.

When you add more guitars into the mix, you compensate for the louder levels by lowering all the guitar volumes, whoch make it sound quieter than it should have been.

Guitar volumes shouldn't be messed with.

Orchestra/Piano should be louder on all songs.

Too much Pitman shit

Electronically changing the sound of the drums (snare and kick drum (you can barely hear the double kick drum part on prostitute where as in antiquiet version there is a satisfying thump. Better has weird echo thing added to snare, toms are never loud, Ferrers kick drum parts on better sounds like there are 2 overplayed kick drums)

Adding Ferrer's drums.

Bass seems EQ'd, can only hear rumble and not actual bass notes (plucking strings and all)

Axl's vocals raised half a step on IRS and TWAT (or were lowered half a step on early demos)

Splicing/looping of vocals is messy

Pitch correction should've simply been rerecorded vox spliced in.

Auto tune of band backing vocals

Vocal double tracking sucks

Drums shouldn't be electronic in anyway

Guitars shouldn't be messed with in anyway (minor pitch correction on some solos, shortening of Fincks sustain on TWAT. IRS guitar volumes are a mess, Riad guitars start loud then are drastically lowered in 2nd verse, Better and CD guitar volumes gradually fade.)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

To me CD isn't a guitar oriented album it's a percussive and synth geo political break up album. It sounds a lot like UNKLE's Never, Neverland production and scope wise although much more classic rock.

What a post by Mendez there :heart:

Anyways, besides all that I think it contains too much "woe is me" lyrical content- after all that time the album comes out and most of the songs are about being sad, depressed and lonely and how it's not Axl's fault and he won't be told anymore etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an Estranged here or there but I think the album is a bit down beat...Scraped is about as close as it gets to the fuck you, bad boy rock and roll that people loved about GNR and Axl Rose.

I've posted this a thousand times, but I like-love the songs themselves but all the leaked versions and live performances (from the Robin years) shit on the ones presented on the finished product.

Too many cooks ruined the broth and it sounds like a mess- like how Ron Thal just clogs every gap on IRS with incessant, directionless noodling...

Edited by DR DOOM

Axl is a bit limited in that he writes from the heart. It's a strength and can be a problem. I feel it's more like UYI than AFD for sure. But that's how he felt. I feel there's an uplifting feeling overcoming these situations which can be exciting.

• Like 1

CDs biggest mistake is coming out 6 years too late when in 2002 it would have been ahead of the game and people still listened to albums that had guitar solos on them. It also wouldn't have had that shadow of its production budget and history looming over it. Even if people gave it the same reaction and dismissed it, Axl could've easily gotten a new album ready for the 2006 tour and again for the 2010-2012 tour.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Azoff should have tried to line up a Smashing Pumpkins & GNR tour instead of Van Halen & GNR.

The mistakes - the Best Buy deal, MySpace streaming before street date, taking too long to make it available as digital downloads, people able to get the album through file share sites, Axl unwilling to make the rounds to promote it. Going on Kimmel and Eddie Trunk happened way too late in the game and it had nothing to do with ChiDem.

Maybe he'll get it right next time.

• Like 1