Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls 2016/2017 World Tour discussion [LIVE ALBUM NOV. 17]

Zeppelin

The Book Of Souls  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got home from the listening party.

Phew. Listening to this album is the musical (Listener's perspective) equivalent of running a marathon. It's so dense that it's exhausting to listen to - there's so much packed into it (Even with it's long running time) that it's hard to digest. Truthfully, a decent number of songs somewhat blend together after only one listen. I can name the songs that really stood out to me, but I can't name any particularly discernible melodies (Other than Speed Of Light since that's been stewing for a few weeks now, and the main piano melody on Empire Of The Clouds). One of the most immediate things to stand out when looking at the big picture with this album is the absolute lack of "anthemic" choruses - yes, most of the songs have a refrain, but I have a hard time imagining any of them becoming a gigantic sing-along section at the gigs; again, the notable exception is Speed Of Light, as well as the "woah"s on The Red And The Black.

So, I still haven't given my exact opinion of the album. I really don't feel like I can accurately judge it after a single listen, certainly not before I become a little more familiar with the songs so that I can start to associate certain riffs, lyrics, etc. with different songs. I will say though, the fact that I'm having a hard time digesting it bodes well for what I'll think of it as time goes on; I felt the same about The Final Frontier after my first listen and that has become a top 5 Maiden album for me. So I guess the best way to describe my feelings right now would be "excited" :)

I've seen a lot of posts, particularly on Facebook and the Fan Club, saying that a lot of little bits and pieces on this album are a blatant ripoff of other parts of other Maiden songs. The only one that really stood out to me was the intro on Shadows Of The Valley. I wish I could remember some of the other ones, but I sort of glossed over them since I didn't want to know too many specifics before hearing it myself. I want to say several people mentioned something in the instrumental section of The Red And The Black was lifted straight from Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, but I don't remember anything really jumping out at me - does this sound familiar to anyone who has had a few more listens to the album?

I've also seen a lot of people saying they hear the "sound" of almost every album represented on this at some point - I personally don't really agree with that at all. For starters I don't hear anything remotely representing a Di'Anno era song, nor Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son. I suppose I can sort of hear where the first 3 Bruce albums put in some influence; the gallops are back in a somewhat big fashion. And let's face it, gallops are to Maiden as cheeseburgers and pickup trucks are to America - in other words, a very welcome addition to the album. I certainly get a No Prayer vibe on Speed Of Light - that one would go well with Holy Smoke and Hooks in you as a "fun" Maiden song. When The River Runs Deep sounded like it was straight off of Brave New World to me. But if I had to classify the sound of the album in a single sentence, to me it sounded like what The X Factor would have sounded like with Bruce. It's quite a dark album, and I could really see Blaze belting some of these songs out if it weren't for the fact that a good deal of them venture outside of his vocal range. Speaking of vocal range, Bruce's performance certainly hadn't been overstated by other band members in the interviews leading up to the album. I think the album has some of Bruce's highest recorded notes (Barring his "air raid siren" of course, which is still quite impressive here). Really though, everyone turned in stellar performances on this one. I've seen a lot of comments about how good the solos are and I have to agree - all three guitarists sounded like they had some new tricks up their sleeves, and very rarely did I feel like I knew where a solo was going.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble a bit, so I'll just get on to some specific thoughts on individual songs:

If Eternity Should Fail - Wow, what a fucking killer opening track. Hands down my favorite opening track since the reunion, maybe ever. I can really hear how this started off as a Bruce solo song, would've fit great on Tyranny Of Souls. It's a decent length song, but it just flies by. This will make a great concert opener - use the beginning as the intro tape, they start playing when everyone kicks in at a minute and a half, and drop the spoken word bit at the end. Follow it up with Speed Of Light and they've got a great one-two punch.

Speed Of Light - A lot of people seem to be saying this is one of the worst songs on the album, but I rank it more middle of the road. As far as Maiden's singles go, I still think it's very good. As with Benjamin Breeg and El Dorado, the lead single wasn't at all representative of the rest of the album.

The Red And The Black - Many people seem to be citing this as their favorite - I can't say the same myself (Not yet at least). Maybe new the bottom of my top 5 on the album? Great candidate to be played live though, between the long instrumental section and the "woah"s - we know Maiden love crowds that go "woah" :)

The Book Of Souls - Really cool track - up their with the best Gers/Harris collaborations. The slow, grinding verses sound mean as fuck, especially with those off-beat china hits. Nicko really shines on this one in general. Can't wait to spin this one again.

Tears Of A Clown - Maybe the "novelty" of this one will wear off, but I think it's really cool because, how often does Maiden write a song that everyone can identify with? Robin Williams' death was so recent that we can all remember where we were and how it hit us when we heard about it, so in that sense I find it to be a really special one. The main riff was cool too - definitely not your everyday Maiden riff with all the syncopation.

Empire Of The Clouds - It's…it's amazing. It's everything I hoped it would be. What is there really that needs to be said about this song? It's proggy as fuck, but it still has a lot of moments that definitively sound like Maiden. Bruce's piano playing is really spectacular considering he doesn't really play. Loved the S.O.S. part around 7 minutes. It's certainly the most beautiful song Maiden has ever released. It pains me that this won't be played live, but I totally understand why.

I'll definitely keep giving my opinions as I listen more :)

• Like 2

the gallops are back in a somewhat big fashion

Even as a casual Maiden fan I noticed this.

Thought the album was pretty good, If Eternity Should Fail is probably my favourite.

On first listen The Book of Souls and Shadows of the Valley stood out, as well. There were bits of Empire of the Clouds I liked, will obviously give it a few more listens, a lot to take in.

• Like 1

Just so I can keep track of how my preferences change, this is my list best-to-worst after one listen:

1. Empire Of The Clouds

2. If Eternity Should Fail

3. The Book Of Souls

4. Tears Of A Clown

5. When The River Runs Deep

6. The Red And The Black

7. Speed Of Light

8. Death Or Glory

9. Shadows Of The Valley

10. The Great Unknown

11. The Man Of Sorrows

yeah i can still hear the part from rime and i have listened to the album countless times. its the part on the red and the black that starts at around 3:56 and it reminds me of the part on rime of the ancient mariner that starts at 2:00.

the album is a definite grower i knew i liked it after the first listen but after the third listen it really clicked, the guitar solos on this album are sick.

empire of the clouds, the part that always gets me:

"We're down lads!" came a cry, bow plunging from the sky
Three thousand horses silent as the ship began to die
The flares to guide her path ignited at the last
The empire of the clouds, just ashes in our past
Just ashes at the last…
Here lie their dreams as they stand in the sun
On the ground where they built, and the engines they run
To the moon and the stars, now what have we done?
Oh the dreamers may die, but the dreams live on
Dreams live on
Dreams live on"
:(
Edited by bran
  • Like 1

So it's Maiden day on Planet Rock, and I put it on just after IESF started, so I knew it was Bruce, but didn't know anything more. I was actually leaning to think it was a Bruce solo for a little bit, but then knew it was Maiden. Couldn't place the song from memory, but couldn't believe it would be a new song from the album.

I loved it, really enjoyed that song. Now I just need to wait to get my hands on the album later!

yeah i can still hear the part from rime and i have listened to the album countless times. its the part on the red and the black that starts at around 3:56 and it reminds me of the part on rime of the ancient mariner that starts at 2:00.

the album is a definite grower i knew i liked it after the first listen but after the third listen it really clicked, the guitar solos on this album are sick.

empire of the clouds, the part that always gets me:

"We're down lads!" came a cry, bow plunging from the sky
Three thousand horses silent as the ship began to die
The flares to guide her path ignited at the last
The empire of the clouds, just ashes in our past
Just ashes at the last…
Here lie their dreams as they stand in the sun
On the ground where they built, and the engines they run
To the moon and the stars, now what have we done?
Oh the dreamers may die, but the dreams live on
Dreams live on
Dreams live on"
:(

I'll listen for that on my next listen through. I mean, I wasn't really looking for comparisons to draw either, I was just so focused on taking everything in my first time round. Shadows Of The Valley is the one that really slaps you in the face though.

Everything on Empire was amazing, I don't think I can pick a favorite part of that song. Already in my top 10 Maiden songs ever, for sure.

Sweet. For $20 I might just end up picking it up after work.

I know a few pages back you mentioned that you've normally only been a hits guy with Maiden. If you like this album, A Matter Of Life And Death might be another good one to check out - it's pretty similar in tone.

Sweet. For $20 I might just end up picking it up after work.

I know a few pages back you mentioned that you've normally only been a hits guy with Maiden. If you like this album, A Matter Of Life And Death might be another good one to check out - it's pretty similar in tone.

Yeah I listened to about half of it before, just never got to finish it. I'll check it all out eventually :lol:

• Like 1