November Rain in top 100 most-viewed Youtube videos of all time

I can't believe it. November Rain has been viewed by twice as many people as The Duck Song. Let's celebrate!

In all seriousness though looking at the list of all time most views on youtube it's pretty interesting that GnR is this high up there with this song. I'm not surprised November Rain has been viewed more times than With or Without You by U2 but I am surprised it's been viewed 3 times more and 2 times more than SCOM. That to me is surprising. It's interesting but It means fuck all.

Edited by Bono

This is awesome in every way and what's more this is not even the best video of GNR :)

Yes, because the way to judge the value of a song is by YouTube plays.

Katy Perry has two songs in the top top. That must mean she is 10 times the artist that Axl is.

Right?

This is awesome in every way and what's more this is not even the best video of GNR :)

Katy Perry has two songs in the top top. That must mean she is 10 times the artist that Axl is.

Right?

No, and I don't believe this is what people are saying. Different musical formats lend themselves to different platforms. Sales and views means little relative musical talent and audience appreciation. You could walk into a local jazz bar and most of the musicians paying within could likely run circles around anyone in the top 100 most watched videos on Youtube.

What's being discussed and worth people's consideration isn't artistic merit but an artists relevance. November Rain, both the song and the video, is something that lends itself to the YouTube audience for reasons we could discuss. That's significant in that many of GNR's peers are unable to make such a claim. The fact that an almost 25 year old song and video remains as popular as some of the artists of the current day is impressive. Katy Perry is market and geared towards a youth culture that modern day GNR isn't. And yet, GNR is still able to command attention from a market that some would argue it has no business being included.

Keep in mind that rock music isn't the dominant force that many make it out to be. When it comes to live music it holds up, but rarely are there times when rock music enters the popular zeitgeist. Pop has largely dominated for the better part of the past 40 years. It's just a far more relevant platform than rock, and has been since the end of the 1960s. One could argue that rock was the dominant musical force in the late 80s, early 90s, with bands like GNR, U2, Pearl Jam, Nirvana enjoying success in the charts. But it's generally an anomaly. Artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, N'Sync, and now Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and Rihanna are generally the artists that dominant various musical formats. For a rock act like GNR to achieve success where generally rock acts do not is an impressive feat.

• Like 3

Right?

Yeah right, and PSY is way more betta than Michael Jackson. :D

Right?

Well.....you guys are the ones giving props to YouTube viewing activity. If YouTube watches give GnR some sort of relevance then that same amount of credibility has to be given to bands higher on the list than GnR.

Right?

Well.....you guys are the ones giving props to YouTube viewing activity. If YouTube watches give GnR some sort of relevance then that same amount of credibility has to be given to bands higher on the list than GnR.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Right now Katy Perry is far more "relevant" to the pop/rock landscape than Guns N' Roses. Most rock bands have become nostalgia acts; they're relevant as a result of their back catalogues.

Had Youtube been around in 1991-92 I'm sure GNR would be in the top ten for youtube views. The fact that they're still in the top 100 is a pretty impressive feat all things considered.

Right?

I think your missing the point tho. No ones discrediting the other people on the list. But theyre modern, current pop stars. Theyre simply stating that its pretty awesome that a 25 year old video is in the top 100. You dont see Motley Crue or Def Leppard on the list, so its pretty cool actually.

Right?

I think your missing the point tho. No ones discrediting the other people on the list. But theyre modern, current pop stars. Theyre simply stating that its pretty awesome that a 25 year old video is in the top 100. You dont see Motley Crue or Def Leppard on the list, so its pretty cool actually.

LOL. I'm not missing the point at all.

If I said Justin Bieber is greater than the Beatles, and his Youtube views proves it.....you all would say that youtube videos meant dick.

But now you are using Youtube videos to give props to GnR.

So just so I'm clear.

Youtube views are now a good way to judge how awesome a band / video or song is. I just want us all to remember that a month from now when somebody says that a Slash video got more views or FB likes or whatever than a GnR CD song and somebody pops up "that doesn't mean anything."

If Youtube views are something we can use to say how awesome GnR is.........then Youtube likes are good for every band/artist and song. Because the same dude who watched a Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber video might be the same guy who watched November Rain....so his "awesome and cool" viewing has to apply and have the same weight/value for GnR as it does for Bieber.

But whatever, bub.

You guys can love it all you want. You can think it's the most awesome thing ever. I personally don't. That really shouldn't matter to you! Love what you want!!!!

Right?

If I said Justin Bieber is greater than the Beatles, and his Youtube views proves it.....you all would say that youtube videos meant dick.

So just so I'm clear.

Youtube views are now a good way to judge how awesome a band / video or song is. I just want us all to remember that a month from now when somebody says that a Slash video got more views or FB likes or whatever than a GnR CD song and somebody pops up "that doesn't mean anything."

If Youtube views are something we can use to say how awesome GnR is.........then Youtube likes are good for every band/artist and song. Because the same dude who watched a Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber video might be the same guy who watched November Rain....so his "awesome and cool" viewing has to apply and have the same weight/value for GnR as it does for Bieber.

But whatever, bub.

You guys can love it all you want. You can think it's the most awesome thing ever. I personally don't. That really shouldn't matter to you! Love what you want!!!!

Ive never said Youtube views matter. I dont really see anyone saying that actually...all most people are saying is that its pretty damn cool that a 25 year old song and video is in the top 100 of a Youtube list, which is dominated by current and relevant artists. I dont see how its wrong to acknowledge that its cool.

Right?

So just so I'm clear.

But whatever, bub.

Ive never said Youtube views matter. I dont really see anyone saying that actually...all most people are saying is that its pretty damn cool that a 25 year old song and video is in the top 100 of a Youtube list, which is dominated by current and relevant artists. I dont see how its wrong to acknowledge that its cool.

I've literally explained it about five times in this topic.

Do you think it's cool that Justin Bieber and Katy Perry have about 10 songs each that are ahead of Nov Rain? Yes or no answer. If it's COOL for GnR to be on the list, then it also has to be cool for Justin Bieber to dominate the list as well.

But pay that no mind.

You can think it's cool - you don't need my approval or agreement.

If you think it is cool, then awesome. More power to you.

And it looks like the video is up to 84 now. Maybe the good folks at mygnrforum have added a couple million views over the last week!!!!

Right?

So just so I'm clear.

But whatever, bub.

I've literally explained it about five times in this topic.

Do you think it's cool that Justin Bieber and Katy Perry have about 10 songs each that are ahead of Nov Rain? Yes or no answer. If it's COOL for GnR to be on the list, then it also has to be cool for Justin Bieber to dominate the list as well.

But pay that no mind.

You can think it's cool - you don't need my approval or agreement.

If you think it is cool, then awesome. More power to you.

And it looks like the video is up to 84 now. Maybe the good folks at mygnrforum have added a couple million views over the last week!!!!

See you are missing the point. Youd expect Justin Beiber and Katy Perry to have multiple songs on that list because they are young, current artists at their peak of popularity. What you wouldnt expect is there to be a 25 year old song and video on the list from a band that isnt relevant in modern pop culture anymore. And thats what makes it cool. In this case it happens to be GNRs video. So why is it wrong for people here to say its awesome?

I see people are arguing about how to rate the relevance of youtube views. I think for each song or video you can make a different case. The fact that PSY, Katy Perry, and Justin Beiber are near the top is a testament to what has been popular since youtube has taken off. These are the videos that have gained the most attention in the past 5 years.

Going down the list you see more of the same, the videos on the list are a time capsule to everything relevant since 2010.

But then you see GNR on this list...a video made 25 years ago. No reunion to spark views, no appearances for this song in movies or tv, there is no reason this song or video should be relevant in the last 5 years. Absolutely none! So it's rare appearence on this list is relevant bc thus far the song and video have stood the test of time. People still gravitate to this video for whatever reason. You can judge November rains appearence on this list in a different manner in my opinion.

• Like 2

I'm pretty confident that a lot of those views are people viewing it as a bombastic joke.

It's cool that GNR is still relevant in the popular culture... but it might not be, as a long time super-fan, for reasons you would like.

Edited by Ant

• 10 months later...

How big gnr still is.  600.000.000  views in 6 years ( just november rain oficial vevo, there are other nr vídeos with 15 million, 25 million , 2 million, 30 million, etc)

Sweet child over 300 million, dont cry about 260 million.  Etc etc.

All that just in 6 years..  No other real band ( aeros, stones, metallica, nirvana, bon jovi, acdc, beattles, zep, etc etc.. ) cant compete with nr numbers or gnr total numbers ( over 3.000.000.000 total videos views).  And keeping in mind that were talking about vídeos from 23 years a go or so. From a band that has had just one álbum, no vídeos, barely no promotion, with a anti- media hated leader, The gnr china blocking,  ..   

Wow.. How huge is GUNS N ROSES. 

• Like 1

Maybe all those views are from people like me who remember when it had its "world premiere" on MTV, when videos were played and still the shit! I was 14 when it debuted one day on MTV and I remember it being a huge ass deal! That one video was sooooo anticipated. Great video then and it still is. 

Back in the day SCOM had like 3 different videos with huge numbers uploaded by unofficial sources i think one of them had 90 million views, and then the VEVO one came along but it wasnt gaining views like the NR VEVO video, then those other videos were removed because of copyright and people had to watch the official VEVO version of SCOM which is why NR has twice as many views as SCOM.

I noticed a lot of highly viewed rock and metal videos were suddenly deleted years ago.. Master of puppets by metallica had 40 million and thunderstruck by acdc had even more i think but both were removed.

Not sure why i even typed this as it means feck all really lol

On 7/13/2015 at 8:48 PM, Riddick Bowe said:

The interesting fact here is that November Rain is a song made 25 years ago, and the video is made around the same time. the other songs is hits made the last few years when it is normal to listen to music on youtube. It is in fact timply amazing!

Exactly! This seems to escape some people however/ 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2015 at 8:23 AM, Apollo said:

So just so I'm clear.

But whatever, bub.

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

In a Guns N Roses forum apparently it is wrong to praise the band, their achievements or to like them at all.

:facepalm:

*Looney Tunes track in the background*

The hyperbole from some of you is funny. 

I love how much you guys care what I think. 

Its cool that a GnR video has received so many YouTube plays.  But it's also a format that Katy Perry as a couple in the top ten of all time. 

Lol. Apparently to be a "true" fan we must worship everything Axl does. Smh.