Refugee crisis Europe

Bumblefeet

I have witnessed the refugee camp at Calais, France by the P&O Ferry Port last Tuesday... Looked livelier than Belgium and a bit like Vauxhall Market, but smaller!.. Kind of wished we stopped to shop there than at that chocolate factory in Belgium too - :lol:... j/k, but those people are there for a reason, to come to the United Kingdom... and we born on this rock with rolling hills and mountain tops from volcanos lost, and those with EU passports, as well as those with travel papers - get to come in each day for free (Cost of their ticket and papers/documents/passports etc etc etc)... - Those Syrians (or whoever)! camped at that camp... Don't, they want to, but don't have the luxury of a country that hasn't gone to war and/or tried to kill them; and Belgium's boring! - and there is a homeless man from Camden sitting in Amsterdam with a guitar waiting to become Dutch! - so it's either go to the UK, or sit in Amsterdam for 2 years before you get your BSN? - I've yet to see more of Europe.

You're an idiot. <_<

I have witnessed the refugee camp at Calais, France by the P&O Ferry Port last Tuesday... Looked livelier than Belgium and a bit like Vauxhall Market, but smaller!.. Kind of wished we stopped to shop there than at that chocolate factory in Belgium too - :lol:... j/k, but those people are there for a reason, to come to the United Kingdom... and we born on this rock with rolling hills and mountain tops from volcanos lost, and those with EU passports, as well as those with travel papers - get to come in each day for free (Cost of their ticket and papers/documents/passports etc etc etc)... - Those Syrians (or whoever)! camped at that camp... Don't, they want to, but don't have the luxury of a country that hasn't gone to war and/or tried to kill them; and Belgium's boring! - and there is a homeless man from Camden sitting in Amsterdam with a guitar waiting to become Dutch! - so it's either go to the UK, or sit in Amsterdam for 2 years before you get your BSN? - I've yet to see more of Europe.

You're an idiot. <_<

So? I still had a good time <_<

People like Snake-Pit are the reason there are still Republicans.

Nice to see the electorate of America taking the unemployed denizens of South London bedsits when considering their politics :lol:

I have a job, should go back to work... I'd call Monday for a Tuesday start.

People like Snake-Pit are the reason there are still Republicans.

Donald Trump 2016...

Pls pls pls pls

I want Donald Trump to be President of America.

• Like 1

You're an idiot. <_<

I have been there, done that, and seen this news story this week...

So while you were all sitting in the UK this week, I went out and saw what I saw...

You're an idiot if you think these people are coming to Europe just for coming here sake and you're an even bigger idiot if you think Belgium is suitable...

It's boring out there, it's flat! and for we know, the UK might let them stay more than Belgium or France. and personally, I wouldn't wish Belgium on my worst enemy.

That's true talk there my hooray for tolerance

Snakes you have to just try and forget about Belgium, let it go.

:lol:

I'd always remember that view from the bus on the way back. It was pretty woman adjacent from me, safe too... out the window that way horizon, out the window the other way horizon... Belgium looked pretty that day, almost like a painting... but other than that it's all green, cow, green, cow, green, cow!..

Had fun though, saw that camp, like literally, it's there, it's smaller than it looks on TV but it's there... Kind of wished we stopped to shop there to be honest, looked lively.

Love Amsterdam, truthfully, only part of the NL I set foot, but, love it :), and what makes Amsterdam different, apparently, I think... Is that tourists can buy weed too.

I bought flags out there, a Dutch one and the flag of Amsterdam... I have a stars and stripes too from USA... I want a flag for every country I've been too...

I decided to gift my Holland flag and kept the Amsterdam flag... So now collection is The Stars and Stripes from the US and the flag of Amsterdam.

... I displayed my USA flag on the back of a Van Gogh print I got in Croydon in 2001?.. and now it's got the flag of Amsterdam on it too.

125_zpsxthzj23s.jpg

:D

So are these men leaving their wives and children behind to be killed in active war zones? Or are a lot of these people actually coming from refugee centers outside of Syria and thus not at imminent risk of death?

I think many really are leaving their wives and children behind, hoping to be able to retrieve them later when they have found somewhere to stay. It is always like this. It doesn't mean they don't necessarily have good reasons to seek refuge, just that they are much more mobile. In addition, many leave because they are at risk of being drafted into a war they don't want anything to do with. Women don't have that particular risk. What I am saying is that we would expect there to be much more men than women. It is always like that. Men are more at risk, and more mobile, so they will dominate among the refugees. But there is a significant amount of women that do flee with their kids, too, risking obvious death at sea and uncertain future without much means in foreign countries, suggesting that, unless they are gravely miscalculating the situation, many of them really are fleeing something dangerous, and are not just economic immigrants who wants to join in on the riches of Europe.

Has anyone else noticed that 9 out of 10 of these refugees are young men in their 20s? Where are all the women and children, exactly?

Translation: Wogs Out! :D

Whatever happened to the word wogs, its sort of out of circulation isnt it? Shame.

Edited by Len B'stard

Has anyone else noticed that 9 out of 10 of these refugees are young men in their 20s? Where are all the women and children, exactly?

Bud bud ding ding £2.99 .............

No one can settle on definitive lyrics for that yknow, except that it ends in 'Mr Paki Man you know what i like!' :lol:

Whatever happened to the word wogs, its sort of out of circulation isnt it? Shame.

Shame that Qatar's got nothing to spare for its Arab brethren after putting $200 billion into World Cup facilities and a few billion more on the side for Jabhat al-Nusra, ISIS, and friends.

I was arguing three years ago that we were taking the wrong side on the war in Syria. If the U.S. and its allies in Europe and the Middle East hadn't been supplying the rebels, it would all have been over in months. Assad would have crushed them, hundreds of thousands who are dead now would still be alive, and millions who lost their homes and livelihoods would still have them.

Seems accepting refugees is easier than accepting responsibility for helping to ruin their country and their lives in the first place.

Snake-Pit, driving through rural Belgium on its highways does not constitute visiting it, did you go to any of our cool cities (Brugge, Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp)?

Though I agree that as for appeal to refugees there's probably not much prospects here. I think the cultural difference is ultimately too big and there's little appeal to stay here other than the accommodations (which according to reports refugees appear to be refusing to use and instead stay in their own improvised camps).

This whole situation of even registering the refugees is absurd in our country. They still expect an inordinate amount of people to register the same way they would otherwise, via a long waiting and slow bureaucracy. They'll have people wait up to week before even registering, when they perfectly well know where they've set up camp (many in parks in the cities) and could easily send social workers to manage the situation. It's a disgrace and another failure of our incompetent government. One commentator said it right, our politicians shouldn't be plumbers who fix the problem when it arises, but architects who anticipate these events and start ahead of time.

I have spotted beer guts, trainers, mobile phones and Barcelona shirts among the refugees also. Are these the most prosperous 'refugees' ever?

Yes, Syria wasn't that bad economic wise when it all went to hell.

I have spotted beer guts, trainers, mobile phones and Barcelona shirts among the refugees also. Are these the most prosperous 'refugees' ever?

The mobile phones are not a sign of prosperity, they've become a basic need for a lot of middle eastern people. A lot of those countries have statistics of 3 cell phones or more per inhabitant so it's very ingrained in the culture and you need to be aware that these refugees depend immensely on mobile phones to guide them, keep contact with their family and friends on the way over etc. With so much free wifi around, it's also an easy way to get information and stay connected.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/11/how-smartphones-are-helping-refugees-in-europe.html

Edited by Bumblefeet

Snake-Pit, driving through rural Belgium on its highways does not constitute visiting it, did you go to any of our cool cities (Brugge, Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp)?

Though I agree that as for appeal to refugees there's probably not much prospects here. I think the cultural difference is ultimately too big and there's little appeal to stay here other than the accommodations (which according to reports refugees appear to be refusing to use and instead stay in their own improvised camps).

This whole situation of even registering the refugees is absurd in our country. They still expect an inordinate amount of people to register the same way they would otherwise, via a long waiting and slow bureaucracy. They'll have people wait up to week before even registering, when they perfectly well know where they've set up camp (many in parks in the cities) and could easily send social workers to manage the situation. It's a disgrace and another failure of our incompetent government. One commentator said it right, our politicians shouldn't be plumbers who fix the problem when it arises, but architects who anticipate these events and start ahead of time.

I went to Amsterdam...

I never said I visited Belgium, I said it was so dull that when my coach said it was leaving the country I 'Usain' Bolted for it saying @ the P&J Duty Free Chocolate Factory Stop

"Don't leave me here!"... :lol:

Saw gifts for Brussels and Flanders... Assumed I was near some old battlefield called Flanders but, IDK.