"Rape by deception" I'd like to hear what (everyone, especially women) think of this.

DeadSlash

So I saw this thing on TV that "Rape by deception" is being recognized more and more in US courts as rape.

What is it?

Let's say you meet a girl and your parents are on holiday in Europe, so you tell he it's your house, and you are a stock broken or some shit. She likes you and sleeps with you, and later finds out you lied about who you were. She decides that she would never have slept with you if she knew you really worked at Subway and lived in your parents house. Your consensual sex now becomes rape by deception.

I personally think it's complete bullshit, it makes me very angry that it's a thing.

I'd like a female point of view on the matter, maybe I'll view it differently. To me, I'd think a real rape victim might be appalled at the thought that consensual sex with a guy who wasn't worth as much bank as you thought is put on the same level as a stranger forcing himself on me in a dark alley. It would really piss me off.

Edited by DeadSlash

In the case in which a man impersonates a woman's boyfriend or husband in order to have sex with her, I think it's an appropiate form.

But, to extend it to any other situation seems completely absurd and would trulywould break any legal certainty. It still should be penalized somehow, but doesn't fit at all into the "rape" category imo

Edited by BreakDown2014

I wouldn't say that that is rape. Rape is having sex with someone without their consent/with someone who is for one reason or another unable to give their consent.

In the situation that was described, is it right that he lied about certain things? No. Is it rape? No, because presumably she consented to have sex with the guy. I think that calling such a situation rape by deception risks people taking the crime of rape less seriously, and that's a bad thing. Call it sex by deception, perhaps, and make it a separate issue if necessary?

If you have sex with someone who you don't know that well, you always run a risk that they're not who/what they claim to be. Sad but true. People who pretend to be single, but are actually married and have kids. The old cliche of people pretending to be some high-up in music or film in order to have sex with desperate wannabe stars. It shouldn't be happening, but it does, so if you want to navigate those waters, you've got to be smart, and sensible, and cautious. Or just decide that you want some fun and it doesn't really matter if the man/woman is full of bullshit.

• Like 3

On a slightly separate note - I do remember a case of an undercover police officer who had a relationship with an activist and even had a child with her, whilst all the while he was spying on her. I don't even know what to class that as, but it is seriously messed up.

It isn't rape if you already consented.

A guy can turn that around saying "I thought she was the one, but she isn't" and call that rape.

Apparently, you can, as long as she lied about something. You actually can.

I can seriously say that by this definition, 70% or more of the people on this forum are rapists. Who hasn't lied about a job title, or their financial status, or maybe without actually lying, put on a bit of a show that might get someone to think you were a little more well to do than you were? Like taking a woman to a restaurant you couldn't really afford and acting like it was no thing. Especially when we were just kids, like 17-19ish and still self conscious about everything in life?

Even now, who among us is 100% themselves on the first few months of dating? You kind of ease people into who you are. You might have the personality to tell fart jokes to a girl and pull it off, do you do it on the first date? No, not if you want a second date.

99% of high school students who have had sex are rapists.

Do you know how many employers I've "raped by deception" with my resume? Good lord. I should get the death penalty.

• Like 1

A guy can turn that around saying "I thought she was the one, but she isn't" and call that rape.

of course he can. as soon as women remove their push up bras, false lashes, high heels and all that make up, they usually turn into quite different persons :lol:

• Like 2

That's crazy. To think there are women who aren't ashamed to say: I only had sex with him because I thought he was a stock broker and it was his house. And even say that out loud in a court of law? Surely that's not feminist?

I agree with Kittiara, it makes light of the awful, devastating crime a rape is, and if it is indeed being recognized more and more in the US, I think it's an appalling evolution and all the women involved and their lawyers should be shot on sight. Well, not really, but I hate how silly lawsuits and sleazy lawyers make a mockery out of the justice system for personal gain.

• Like 2

of course he can. as soon as women remove their push up bras, false lashes, high heels and all that make up, they usually turn into quite different persons :lol:

Damn, you beat me to it :lol:

• Like 1

Damn, you beat me to it :lol:

i just found out there is such a thing as push up butt lifter. beware :lol:

i just found out there is such a thing as push up butt lifter. beware :lol:

Yoga pants are like wonderbras for bums, I don't even know what is real any more :(

On a more serious note, similar to the undercover police officer story that Kittiara mentioned, one professor at St Andrews was also found guilty of something similar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lambert_(undercover_police_officer)

Now I'd argue that's a bit more soul-destroying than simply telling a woman you make a bit more money than you actually do. There were cases during the Cold War of men who were trained to seduce East German secretaries who similarly ended up often marrying them and fathering children with them, leaving the women devastated when they found out after the Iron Curtain fell and wondering whether these men ever loved them at all.

• Like 1

Part of pulling is fuckin' lying, i mean not massive ones like 'i got cancer' for sympathy but like...come on, why the fuck are the guys always culpable, what about the dozy bitch for believing shit shes been told sight unseen by some random tosser she met in a club, thats just basic common sense isnt it, taking shit with a pinch of salt until actually knowing for certain thats on you.

I mean thats like a standard thing isnt it, first time you meet a bird you lay it on a bit, try and make an impression :lol:

• Like 1

So I saw this thing on TV that "Rape by deception" is being recognized more and more in US courts as rape.

What is it?

Let's say you meet a girl and your parents are on holiday in Europe, so you tell he it's your house, and you are a stock broken or some shit. She likes you and sleeps with you, and later finds out you lied about who you were. She decides that she would never have slept with you if she knew you really worked at Subway and lived in your parents house. Your consensual sex now becomes rape by deception.

I personally think it's complete bullshit, it makes me very angry that it's a thing.

I'd like a female point of view on the matter, maybe I'll view it differently. To me, I'd think a real rape victim might be appalled at the thought that consensual sex with a guy who wasn't worth as much bank as you thought is put on the same level as a stranger forcing himself on me in a dark alley. It would really piss me off.

The concept is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe the women who claim this should think before being a slut. I'm disgusted by the concept. Rape, quite simply, involves being either physically or mentally forced into something you don't want to do the the time of doing it.

To simply regret it afterwards does NOT make it rape. People who think it does are idiots.

The same goes for girls who sleep with someone while being drunk. Maybe you should have had so many drinks, you slut. Taking advantage of a girl who is either passed out or completely out of it seems like rape to me since there simply is no concent in being unconcious. But when you go wild after having a glass to many it's your own fault.

That's common sense.

Part of pulling is fuckin' lying, i mean not massive ones like 'i got cancer' for sympathy but like...

That line never works anyway :lol:

Oh it does! I say that cuz this lad who i went to school with (not a mate of mine, trust me, I'm not embarassed admitting when my mates are cunts but this one hated me for some odd reason cuz i never said nothing to him) and he used to blag these birds saying he had cancer or what have you. I know he caned loads of money off em and I'm reasonably certain he got his end away as well although i don't know all the details.

Edited by Len B'stard