The "Axl/Slash/Duff + 2 Mystery Players Re-banded But Not A Reunion Tour" Thread - Announcement Imminent!

imo they'll play arenas in the uk and in the rest of europe

I'll be amazed if they don't do either Wembley Stadium or Hyde Park as a one-off.

Only other option, as has been suggested before, would be a mini-residency at either the O2 or Wembley Arena.

If they do new music i hope it sounds more like Libertad VR than World on Fire. In terms of instrumentation

You're high!.

I love both albums, but World On Fire is Godly good with guitar tone & guitar riffs & solos. One of the best albums in the last 20 years in my opinion.

Libertad is far better than WOF, in terms of songwriting. Scott made those songs memorable. He could have done a lot for WOF, too.

Scott definitely had some good qualities about him, he was a heck of a character and had his good moments singing and VR still is one of my favorite bands (as I write this post with a VR Slash shirt on) But I really think World On Fire is so much more diverse in topic and instrumentation. I feel Scott let the song American Man down in the chorus, that could have been a monster of a song, The whole approach on Libertad was very stripped down & basic, certainly not what World On Fire is, I appreciate Libertad and love it and how it was the soundtrack to my life in 2007 but its not World On Fire which is bombastic guitar solos & monster riffs that you never get sick of putting on repeat, WOF certainly kicks more ass and somehow doesn't leave you in a morbid mood. I could totally see Axl ripping some vocals for Beneath The Savage Sun and Automatic Overdrive...hell even Wicked Stone.

If GNR has recorded new music, I hope that Slash and Axl don't hold back on trying to be innovative just to please idiots who want strictly Appetite for another 30 years. If its possible to blow our asses off in a newish way while still keeping their musical identities I'm all for it.

• Like 1

I'll be amazed if they don't do either Wembley Stadium or Hyde Park as a one-off.

Only other option, as has been suggested before, would be a mini-residency at either the O2 or Wembley Arena.

Agreed on Wembley or Hyde Park. Those are certainly the sizes promoters would need the band to play to make any real money (if the figures of how much GNR are getting paid per gig are true).

Eminem got forced to move his Hyde Park gig to Wembley Stadium as the local residences campaigned against him playing. Depending on their views of the band, that and the notoriously early curfew/sound restrictions would likely be a sticking point for Hyde Park. AEG Live have exclusivity on Hyde Park for the Summer too so they would need to be the promoterfor the UK tour i'd imagine.

An O2 residency would make perfect sense as the curfew is way more relaxed, it would suit the venue and promoter so long as they could put enough dates on sale and the demand was big enough. Summer doesn't tend to suit arena shows though.

If i was a betting man i'd say they'll play a number of high profile festivals or one off stadium shows across Europe and USA this Summer and do a multiple date arena tour at the end of year into next.

If the "25 stadiums in the US" thing holds, I'd be shocked if they don't play Ford Field in Detroit.

If so, I'll probably end up doing that and at least one other show, probably Chicago.

Love how all your stadium/arenas have really cheesy sponsor names ... I mean the staples center come on!! ..

Don't even get me started....I completely agree.

One of the least favorite things I ever had to say to someone was this:

Me- "I'm going over to Cleveland"

Co-worker- "For what?"

Me- "We're going to see Roger Waters at the Quicken Loans Arena"

Agreed on Wembley or Hyde Park. Those are certainly the sizes promoters would need the band to play to make any real money (if the figures of how much GNR are getting paid per gig are true).

Eminem got forced to move his Hyde Park gig to Wembley Stadium as the local residences campaigned against him playing. Depending on their views of the band, that and the notoriously early curfew/sound restrictions would likely be a sticking point for Hyde Park. AEG Live have exclusivity on Hyde Park for the Summer too so they would need to be the promoterfor the UK tour i'd imagine.

An O2 residency would make perfect sense as the curfew is way more relaxed, it would suit the venue and promoter so long as they could put enough dates on sale and the demand was big enough. Summer doesn't tend to suit arena shows though.

If i was a betting man i'd say they'll play a number of high profile festivals or one off stadium shows across Europe and USA this Summer and do a multiple date arena tour at the end of year into next.

I'm still hoping for Reading Festival – they haven't announced two of the headliners yet, and it's only a short hop down the road from me.

My 2 cents reguarding new music or album.

If and I mean IF a new album is released with Axl and Slash together on it, I don't want it to sound like Libertad or WOF. Both albums have their appeal, and nonappeal. But that's not where I'm going with this. While Appetite was a very cut and dry, bare bones rock album, which is awesome. I would MUCH rather they go into the exploring type avenues of the Illusion albums. Axl tried and partially succeeded on CD of exploring, but it didn't have the cohesivness that the Illusions had.

Here is my point, the Illusion albums are the closest thing ANY band has gotten to in reguards of pushing the boundaries of hard rock music since Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. Which not only did Zeppelin write the book on pushing and expanding these boundries, they also took them further than ANY band has since. But on the Illusion albums, gnr came damn close. Songs like Civil War, Coma, Locomotion, Estranged, November Rain, and others really took hard rock to places it had not been, since Led Zeppelin really. As much as I love Appeitie (it's my favorite gnr album), it did not advance hard rock music like the Illusions did. It perfected what was already out there, but it didn't show the world anything new. The Illusions did, but they were also bogged down with tracks like Shot gun blues, back off bitch, and my world that made for a confusing journey for the listener. That is why, IMO, the Illusion albums are not considered all time classics. But had they released 1 album of all the best material, it would have been considered a masterpiece, on par with some of Zeppelin's all time greats.

Axl, to his credit, DID try to continue this idea with CD. And IMO, he did achieve it on certain songs, but overall the album is even more inconsistent than even the Illusions were. Why? He didn't have his proper musical partner in Slash.

That is why IF, and I mean IF new music comes from these guys, I want to see them push the envelope like they did on the Illusions. That is the biggest thing lacking from Slash's post gnr catalogue, he has played it relatively safe. He has been trying to recapture Appetite, but like I said earlier, Appetite is like looking at rocks past, while the Illusions looked into the future. Which IMO is the biggest loss rock music has suffered since guns broke up, nobody is pushing the envelope and looking towards the future, everybody is just looking towards the past.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Thought I'd sign up and throw in this UK-based nugget.

A good mate of mine worked on the recent Prodigy/Public Enemy tour towards the end of last year.

During the tour Public Enemy were apparently weighing up an offer to support GNR at a London stadium show in June.

My mate reckons its probably the Olympic Stadium as the promoter has something to do with the ACDC shows that are taking place there around the same time. Also mentioned that Primal Scream had been approached.

Exciting times!

In what capacity did your friend work, out of interest?

All London talk I've heard has centred around BST. This has come through friends of friends though, rather than anyone direct with BST, but I have no reason to doubt them.

Stadium wise, Olympic Stadium or Emirates are, I think, the only 2 available. Wembley Stadium has hit it's quota for the year with the Coldplay/Rihanna shows.

Guns n Roses, Primal Scream, Public Enemy day at BST would be right up my street. I'd be well behind that.

I kinda like Pitman because he contributed to writing CD, but why is he involved now? He adds nothing live

He is a one man band. His synth is where the orchestra sound comes from during the live concerts. LALD, NR are classic examples.

ITS NOT HIM. Slash787, that will never happen, no matter what, that would be jarmo admitting defeat, and that'll never happen

Who is Jarmo? I don't remember any of these names being in GNR.

This is all you need to know...

Hey guys, sorry to bring this Jarmo cartoon up again, but listen to "Axl`s" voice. Correct me if I`m wrong but it`s Bumblefoot who Plays Axl right?? Sounds alot like Bumble to me..

That`s all! Now back to Your regualary scheduled discussion :popcorn:

And I agree about MK Bowl as well. When I used to live up north and friends would drive down, it was great. Saw Prodigy and Foo Fighters there and had a great time.

Live in London now though, and when I went to see Pearl Jam last year I left at the start of the encore. Glad I did as mates I know who stuck around till the end took 3-4 hours to get home. Horribly run transport links out of that place after a gig. Doesn't help that they cattle walk the whole train station, so regardless of which platform/direction you need to go in, there's only 1 queue.

I kinda like Pitman because he contributed to writing CD, but why is he involved now? He adds nothing live

He is a one man band. His synth is where the orchestra sound comes from during the live concerts. LALD, NR are classic examples.

ITS NOT HIM. Slash787, that will never happen, no matter what, that would be jarmo admitting defeat, and that'll never happen

Who is Jarmo? I don't remember any of these names being in GNR.

This is all you need to know...

Hey guys, sorry to bring this Jarmo cartoon up again, but listen to "Axl`s" voice. Correct me if I`m wrong but it`s Bumblefoot who Plays Axl right?? Sounds alot like Bumble to me..

That`s all! Now back to Your regualary scheduled discussion :popcorn:

No it is not, that was around far before BBF.... Anyways can we stop this BS with Jarmo, he is a friend of mine and others here.

• Like 2

Regarding the UK, there's no reason they couldn't play Wembley Stadium during July or thereabouts just like AC/DC did this past year, on July 4th.

As for this year AC/DC are playing the Olympic Stadium June 4th and the Download Festival at Castle Donington is June 10-12 so hopefully GN'R will end up playing over here well away from those dates.

I want the Chicago show to be at Wrigley so bad

NFW the city lets a band that is notoriously loud and notoriously late play in a stadium with curfews as hard as the Confines. I'd love it too, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see it happening. It would also be about half the size of Soldier Field, which is the primary reason it will be there and not Wrigley.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Regarding the UK, there's no reason they couldn't play Wembley Stadium during July or thereabouts just like AC/DC did this past year, on July 4th.

As for this year AC/DC are playing the Olympic Stadium June 4th and the Download Festival at Castle Donington is June 10-12 so hopefully GN'R will end up playing over here well away from those dates.

There is. Something to do with the number of events it can hold per year, and I think they're very close, if not already hit that amount for this year. Can't remember for the life of me where I read that though. I remember reading it just after the Coldplay dates were announced though.