Am I the only one who fucking loves GNR's cover of Since I Don't Have You?

I always see this getting ratted on, but I've always considered it somewhat of a jewel in their back catalogue, in the fact that it's so different from their usual style and yet they really knock it out of the park on all fronts. From Slash's opening guitar licks which just sing (back in the days when his lead work was instantly recognisable) to Axl's impassioned vocal delivery.

I fucking love this cover and all you naysayers can suck it if you think otherwise. ;)

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

Nah, it's cool. Great vocals from Axl and I like Slash's tone on it. The original is much better, but I've always liked this cover. I also enjoy Black leather, Ain't It Fun, and a bunch of others.

It's like a guilty pleasure without the guilt. Look At Your Game Girl is one of the better covers on the album imo. Very far removed from Punk, but it's something more to listen to when you miss the Guns sound.

Edited by Rovim

I think it's a belter, Axl sings the nuts off of that song and Slashs guitar playing is delicious throughout, it really does sound fantastic, maybe the best cover they ever did, they generally tend to make a bollocks of songs they cover but this was spot on. 'Yep, we're fucked' :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

I love the whole Spaghetti Incident CD, initially when it first came out "Since I Don't Have You" was probably the only track I cared for on the record, as I got older I realized how much the others kicked ass especially when comparing them to the originals!. Personally I think every cover they did turned out great, I can barely listen to Paul McCartneys version of Live & Let Die knowing how bad ass GNR did on it.

I'd say GNR did the definitive versions of most of their covers, its not just being a fan boy its a genuine view point. I know I'm deviating from TSI but it still kind of counts.

Knockin' On Heavens Door (Hands down nobody comes close!)

Live & Let Die

Down On The Farm

Human Being

Raw Power

Mama Kin is great, Aerosmith also did great on this.

Since I Don't Have You, certainly more enjoyable for me to listen to, but I still appreciate the original.

I know probably Slash himself and a ton of other people would probably call me a an idiot for this (It is the song that broke GNR up after all), but I

think GNR did better than the Stones on Sympathy For The Devil. Lets face it, Axl was more fluid & flowing with his delivery and Slash is hands down in a different league on another planet in guitar skills, tone and technique. The Stones still did ok, but every time that song comes on I wish it were the GNR version.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I love the whole Spaghetti Incident CD, initially when it first came out "Since I Don't Have You" was probably the only track I cared for on the record, as I got older I realized how much the others kicked ass especially when comparing them to the originals!. Personally I think every cover they did turned out great, I can barely listen to Paul McCartneys version of Live & Let Die knowing how bad ass GNR did on it.

I'd say GNR did the definitive versions of most of their covers, its not just being a fan boy its a genuine view point. I know I'm deviating from TSI but it still kind of counts.

Knockin' On Heavens Door (Hands down nobody comes close!)

Live & Let Die

Down On The Farm

Human Being

Raw Power

Mama Kin is great, Aerosmith also did great on this.

Since I Don't Have You, certainly more enjoyable for me to listen to, but I still appreciate the original.

I know probably Slash himself and a ton of other people would probably call me a an idiot for this (It is the song that broke GNR up after all), but I

think GNR did better than the Stones on Sympathy For The Devil. Lets face it, Axl was more fluid & flowing with his delivery and Slash is hands down in a different league on another planet in guitar skills, tone and technique. The Stones still did ok, but every time that song comes on I wish it were the GNR version.

I agree with you on Since I Don't Have You, Live & Let Die and Human Being - all better than the originals imo.

But Sympathy, nah, I'd take the Stones original in a heartbeat.

I do listen to Spaghetti a fair bit though, that album is underrated around these parts.

axl's vocal mannerisms border on self-parody for some of that album and especially that song (it sounds like what someone imitating axl rose would do with all the aye-ee-yayyy's and yowsa type vocal noises and whatnot) but i DO like it. if not for any other reason than spaghetti incident was the first GN'R album i ever bought. embarrassing but true.

The last verse of Since I Don't Have You is some killer Axl vocals, ripping through the octaves. Slash's tone is nice in the solo sections as well.

I have also come to appreciate that album as time has gone on. When I first got it in 93 or 94, I was disappointed, but now this track, Down On The Farm, Hair Of The Dog and Raw Power are on my main playlist.

The production is also slick as fuck, it has a more modern sound than UYI's and Slash's guitar tone is great. That said, the album is also home to some absolute shit as well.