Estranged with rasp?

Clean vocals are fine with me on this one, but since GNR revived Estranged at Rock in Rio 2011, have there been any performances where Axl has used rasp?  There's so many clips out there, but i haven't come across one yet. 

Has anyone seen one about?

• Like 1

There isn't any decent Estranged performance from Axl's solo project. The hired guitarist that played Slash's part had his parts right but his tone was awful. Axl couldn't sing it like he did when Guns n' Roses played it and everything sounded just wrong. A bad attempt by Axl's band.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Carlycosmos said:

Amazing. I love this song. Can you imagine Axl wearing those kind of clothes in April? he can still surprise us! hahaha

I can't even watch videos from the 92 portion of the tour due to his stupid outfits.. I just can't take him seriously.. Thankfully he ditched them for the Skin N' Bones tour..

I much prefer that 2011 version to the 1992 version. Some reasons:

- Too much rasp and push in Axl's voice that make it sound like some caeicature. It is just VERY grating. This is the exact reason why people overlook his amazing range and voice control when they dismiss him as a horrible singer with a horrible voice.

- Bumblefoot played the solos much better than Slash. Tone aside, Slash was less gentle in his bend and tone tarnssitions leading to plenty of very short pitchy notes, or notes verging on being picthy. He was also much rougher with his attacks and tremolo. Bumblefoot plays much more more smoother making it sound more professional.

- The overall band is tighther and the sound is more fleshed out.

- Axl looks even more ridiculous in 1992 than in 2011.

The main problem with the 2011 version is the Axl's thin voice ("helium") in the outtro. I don't need him to sing it with lots of rasp, just with a much fatter voice. I think many people are confusing this aspect of his tone quality with raspiness.

Edited by SoulMonster
Addendum.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

- Too much rasp and push in Axl's voice that make it sound like some caeicature. It is just VERY grating. This is the exact reason why people overlook his amazing range and voice control when they dismiss him as a horrible singer with a horrible voice.

- Bumblefoot played the solos much better than Slash. Tone aside, Slash was less gentle in his bend and tone tarnssitions leading to plenty of very short pitchy notes, or notes verging on being picthy. He was also much rougher with his attacks and tremolo. Bumblefoot plays much more more smoother making it sound more professional.

The main problem with the 2011 version is the Axl's thin voice ("helium") in the outtro. I don't need him to sing it with lots of rasp, just with a much fatter voice. I think many people are confusing this aspect of his tone quality with raspiness.

Just no. 

1. His voice is meant to be grating and raspy during the end sections..its a pain song..its not meant to be pretty.

2. Bumblefoot is not fit to shine Slash's shoes. Slash is a 'feel' player..he's rough and ready and that what's makes his solos stand out from the millions of 'pros' out there. 

3. GNR were never 'tight' in their original formation. They were loose, sloppy and dangerous. That's what gave them their sound.

4. Axl looked badass in 1992. In 2011, he looked ......

Edited by sonofnazareth
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

Just no. 

1. His voice is meant to be grating and raspy during the end sections..its a pain song..its not meant to be pretty.

2. Bumblefoot is not fit to shine Slash's shoes. Slash is a 'feel' player..he's rough and ready and that what's makes his solos stand out from the millions of 'pros' out there. 

3. GNR were never 'tight' in their original formation. They were loose, sloppy and dangerous. That's what gave them their sound.

1. I think it is good on the record, but too grating in some performances in the 90s. Again, this is the main problem people have with his voice. It sounds like someone has threaded a cat onto a cactus. He pushes so hard he loses some control and it becomes too grating and screeching. When he can balance the power with the rasp and still be in control, he is more or less unsurpassed. That didn't happen for most cases in the 90s, in my humble opinion. But there is no right answer here, I am jsut saying what I like, I have no problems with you liking something else.

2. I agree Slash's playing stands out, he has a unique sound, but Bumblefoot played those solos better. The problem is of course that Bumble could never come up with those solos in the first place. But that doesn't affect my opinion that he plays them better than Slash. Slash was too sloppy and his attack became exaggerated, like not only his looks but also his playing started to evolve into a caricature of what made him popular. At least that is how it is to me in that 1992 recording.

3. I never liked the sloppiness of the old lineups. I much prefer good playing, and I think I share that sentiment with almost everyone. What I did like about the old lineup, the AFD lineup back in 86-99, was the unpredictability, the fact that everything wasn't rehearsed down to the details, that the stage show was more spontaneous, and the awesome interplay between Slash and Izzy, Duff and Steven. That sort of drowned in later lineups, and of course those chemistries were gone. But as far as sloppiness goes and bad playing, nah, never a fan of that.

4. Axl has in my opinion looked like a fool in every decade, oustanding examples being the teased hair and makeup, the chops, the tight white pants, the bullet proof west, the jerseys, they braids. And the list goes on and on. There's been instances where he has looked almost cool or okay, like in 2006, and now and then throughout, but for the most part it has been kitchy silliness that only fans of his body or people with serious defects in their fashion sense can accept.

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Luckily, you belong to the small minority.

Your statements make me feel that you don't really "get it" in regards to GnR.

30 minutes ago, tbaugerud said:

Luckily, you belong to the small minority.

Your statements make me feel that you don't really "get it" in regards to GnR.

I don't know if "getting it" is right. It is more about what we like. I primarily like GN'R because of its records - I bought AFD back in 88 and became an instant fan. "Instant fan, just add AFD". As for live playing, the 86-88 period was the best to me. In that period the band was raw, unorchestrated, had plenty of chemistry, were hungry, were spontaneous. By 1991 Axl was starting to struggle with his voice so he had to apply more rasp to fatten the sound, Slash was turning into a caricature of what made him famous, new players came in, the stage shows became excessive and bloated, chemistry left with Steven and Izzy, and the sloppiness, bad playing and Axl's behaviour, which was always an issue, became less excusable. The more recent lineups have sorted a lot of this out, although it isn't as exciting and probably not as fun live, it is much more well-played and a better listen (for the most part, Dj excepted), which was my point above.

3 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Just no.

This is one of the best posts I have read here so far...

... how any GNR fan can utter the kind of nonsense you were replying to is beyond me !

GNR '85/'95 makes anything after it look like the bad joke that it is.

• Like 2

On February 24, 2016 at 10:06 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I think the "new" band did a great job with it. It's my favorite GnR song so I'm happy it got brought back. DJ even did a good obviously with the first solo imo

I concur. It was a passable DJ solo - better than his usual dumbing down. The biggest issue was, as usual, his bending. I swear the man has no ear for accurate bending. Rock music doesn't have to be ultra precise all the same but he was just... Off.

• Like 1