Slash's take on 'There Was a Time' (Will it happen?)

15 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

The final half of the song is heavy lead guitar.

I think  original is excellent.....but it would be really cool to hear Slash's take on the song.

Just my 2 cents.

agreed! I am looking forward to Slash playing this. getting so excited for April 8th!

• Like 1

Slash has played on some musically diverse stuff over his career and lots of the songs on Appetite and Illusions were originally co-written by people outside of the band, so I don't think it should be a problem for him at all. 

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Sort of related question: Are there mnay examples of Slash copying someone else's solo? Like when covering a song? Or does he tend to create his own solos for cover songs?

On Sympathy didn't he make his own solo and Axl wanted it to be like the original solo on the Stones song?

I think Slash on This I Love is also likely. 

And Catcher seems ready for a Slash solo. 

I wonder about Chi dem though. I think Slash could rock it but the lyrics seem very feudy. 

SOD is another one I think he could do just being team player. 

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes:

Slash: [Axl] was ecstatic. "Let's do the song!" he says. So I said "okay". We show up at the studio... who shows up? Matt, Duff and I. That was it. Paul Huge came in with Axl a couple of days later. While we were doing it (recording the song), we had to write down how many bars each section was, because without vocals you don't know where the next change is going to come. But we got it done and the guitar solos on and everything, and then Axl went in to do vocals... and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! I will probably never forgive Axl for that. But we talked about it. We made a deal that if Paul ever plays on anything, then I should at least be told first, because it really took me off guard. I wasn't there when he did it. Axl likes the song. I haven't listened to it since it was mixed. It's not like it was lousy guitar playing or anything; I think it's how it went down. If people like it, then fine. I haven't gone to see the movie again again because I don't think I could bear it [Simmons (1995), Kerrang! - Jan, 1995]

Here's another quote that is related and paints a vivid picture of the conflict arising between Axl and Slash at the time. This is Duff Ttalking about the atmosphere when recording 'Sympathy for the Devil': It wasn’t good. The huge difference for me was, I was sober, so I was rising, you know? I was really focused on reclaiming my life, and I knew very much that I just survived something. I really gave up. At 29 years old, I told myself “If I live ’til I’m 30, I’ll be lucky,” and I was cool with it. It wasn’t a morbid thought. I was like, “Fuck it, live fast, die young.” And I realized at 30 or 31 that I had a chance to become the guy the 14-year-old me had envisioned. So the band was secondary to that goal at that point. It wasn’t the band first and me second, it was me first. So my whole outlook on what was happening in the session didn’t take over my whole fuckin’ thing. I saw it for what it was. Paul [Huge], Axl’s friend, the guitar-player guy, really saw an opportunity. I saw opportunities being taken advantage of, I saw management freaking out, I saw Slash in a fucking awful, black, and darkened malaise, and Matt had gotten sober. A lot of people were coming to me, management and the record company. I didn’t get a second to be sober, and [they said], “Now that you’re sober, you gotta save this thing.” And I really kinda thought I did for the first year or two, because so many people were saying that to me. I started to figure out in my second year of sobriety, “Oh, I don’t have to do shit" [The Onion A.V. Club, May 2011]

Tommy also said negative things about working with Paul. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

On Sympathy didn't he make his own solo and Axl wanted it to be like the original solo on the Stones song?

I think Slash on This I Love is also likely. 

And Catcher seems ready for a Slash solo. 

I wonder about Chi dem though. I think Slash could rock it but the lyrics seem very feudy. 

SOD is another one I think he could do just being team player. 

Dizzy Reed going solo and playing the introduction of a song is inevitable, that something that won't gonna change. Great chance the ballad is one of them SOD, Catcher or This I Love, they never did This I Love with Dizzy in the middle.

And another one maybe twat or rocker like Riad, CD, Better. Madagascar after Civil War would fit nicely.

Best chance This I Love and Madagascar.

2 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Tommy also said negative things about working with Paul. 

To be fair to Tommy though, he said negative things about most people. Paul should have pulled a knife on him and dealt with it like a man. All Stinson needed was a clear message he wasn't working with girly men plus he was probably drunk and very bored. The man wore a checkered overall on stage. Anything to break routine. When you really think about it, it's Axl's fault.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Dizzy Reed going solo and playing the introduction of a song is inevitable, that something that won't gonna change. Great chance the ballad is one of them SOD, Catcher or This I Love, they never did This I Love with Dizzy in the middle.

And another one maybe twat or rocker like Riad, CD, Better. Madagascar after Civil War would fit nicely.

Best chance This I Love and Madagascar.

I feel like CW and Mad are interchangable? Not sure they ever played both in one show. 

I feel like Chi dem and Madagascar are too CD. Slash could Kashmir Madagascar up. The guitar parts on Chi dem are very Slash but the lyrics but nobody probably knows. 

SOD, Catcher, TIL, Twat are classic GNR songs. With great solo opportunities for Slash to unleash. 

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

I feel like CW and Mad are interchangable? Not sure they ever played both in one show. 

Not sure on the stats, but I know it happened at least once in Youngstown Ohio, 2011.

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

I feel like Chi dem and Madagascar are too CD. Slash could Kashmir Madagascar up. The guitar parts on Chi dem are very Slash but the lyrics but nobody probably knows. 

Lots of people are saying the lyrics on CD songs are about Slash or the old band, but to me they are vague enough to be applied universally. Didn't Axl say so in one of his chats?

3 minutes ago, IkaruFunk said:

Lots of people are saying the lyrics on CD songs are about Slash or the old band, but to me they are vague enough to be applied universally. Didn't Axl say so in one of his chats?

i think he said some songs were composites. So yes universal. 

I think Chi dem and Madagascar are more saying I won't give up. But that was taken as a negative by people who didn't want it to happen. They are kind of like protest songs. 

SOD has some lines too. Axl also said that the lyrics of CD reflected the making of the record. 

CD is kind of a geopolitical break up album. You can take it about a chick or like this righteous stand against opression. 

Slash likes RATM so maybe Chi dem is perfect for him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

CD is kind of a geopolitical break up album. You can take it about a chick or like this righteous stand against opression. 

Well he did say that CD is a great artistic statement from Axl, hopefully that didn't change.

I think we tend to forget that majority of AfD lyrics are now dated as hell too, but Axl still sings them live.

4 minutes ago, IkaruFunk said:

Well he did say that CD is a great artistic statement from Axl, hopefully that didn't change.

I think we tend to forget that majority of AfD lyrics are now dated as hell too, but Axl still sings them live.

Axl said he wasn't riding the nightrain anymore but it was still fun to do. 

Chi dem, SOD, Better, TIL, Madagascar seem like the most promienent CD tracks. Chinese Democracy mentioned on that slot game!

53 minutes ago, wasted said:

i think he said some songs were composites. So yes universal. 

I think Chi dem and Madagascar are more saying I won't give up. But that was taken as a negative by people who didn't want it to happen. They are kind of like protest songs. 

SOD has some lines too. Axl also said that the lyrics of CD reflected the making of the record. 

If 'Sorry' wasn't about Slash then at the very least, it was influenced by their feud. 

5 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

If 'Sorry' wasn't about Slash then at the very least, it was influenced by their feud. 

even the stuff that is about the haters and media it all stems from the feud. 

There are some lines that are hard not to think Slash. You sold your soul but I won't let you in. But it could be Mick Wall just as easily.

I'll kick your ass seems to ref Get in the Ring hence media?

not one god damn thing is about fans demanding stuff?

but the whole song(s) fall under the umbrella of feud.