RUSH Officially Retiring...

James Bond

...from touring, anyways. We knew it was coming with all the rumours and near-confirmation from Neil, but here it is from Alex:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/03/alex-lifeson-confirms-rushs-retirement-from-touring/

He doesn't rule out one-off shows and new music which is awesome, but coming one day after the AC/DC news I feel like crawling into a hole. :lol:

Sad, but the furthest from a surprise as there can be. Neil was insanely clear, and I don't think there's anything Geddy could have said to change his mind.

Feel bad for the guys if they wanted to continue, but in the end, ending gracefully is something that doesn't happen often. I'd love to see them back, but I also really can't be that sad if they retire with their last tour being one of their best ever. Its the perfect "end". No one died, no one got bad. Its sad, but its what more bands should do. It only feels sad because its so unique for a band to retire the right way.

Rush said before this past tour that it was likely to be their last. Then Neil announced that he couldn't tour anymore. The only reason this is news is that Geddy Lee is a prick and did the whole "well Neil isn't really retiring" schtick after Neil's interview. This just confirms what we've really known since before the last tour even started.

Too bad, certainly, but this isn't particularly a shock.

• Like 1

Yeah, Geddy Lee has been hinting to this. Mostly because Alex and Neil wanted to stop touring.

Rush does 3 hour shows, so I'm not surprised these guys who are now in their 60's want to retire.

Eventually everyone retires. I'm sure Rush will continue to record new music.

I wish them well. Great band and so many amazing songs.

34 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

I hope their next album, if they release one, is a full-on concept album with an epic song.

And a film to accompany it. Neil has mentioned the movie idea before so it'd be pretty cool. Some epic philosophical sci-fi film with a story by Neil and music by Alex and Geddy. I'd watch and listen.

I'm also warming to the idea of a Geddy Lee/Angus Young co-headlining solo tour. :lol:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, James Bond said:

And a film to accompany it. Neil has mentioned the movie idea before so it'd be pretty cool. Some epic philosophical sci-fi film with a story by Neil and music by Alex and Geddy. I'd watch and listen.

I'm also warming to the idea of a Geddy Lee/Angus Young co-headlining solo tour. :lol:

That would be so terrible. But so awesome :lol:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Something a la 2112 or Cygnus X-1. I want a full-on story.

I don't know if we'll ever get another one of those again or not. The song Clockwork Angels was originally supposed to be in the 15-17 minute range, but was cut down to be the 7 and a half minutes it is now. I don't remember why that happened exactly. It might have been because they didn't want to play another huge song like that live on the tours that followed, since they wanted to play most of the album live. If they're just sticking to studio work, it might end up happening, but we'll have to see.

Even going back when they put "Caravan" out, it didn't come across like they were planning a new album at that time.

Legally Alex and Geddy can go on as Rush and know they can. Even when Neil had the double tragedy, he wasn't sure if he was ever going to be in Rush at the time. But from Vapor Trails to Clockwork Angels,  how can any fan complain with all the albums and shows we've had in that time? 

There's a lot of concerts in the vault and maybe alternate versions to put out there. We know there's very little unreleased, but it would be cool to hear them working on the albums at the time. I know they've kind of criticized Exit Stage Left as a "live" album.