07/01/16 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field

downzy

2 hours ago, bumblecool said:

Looking at this and the stupid american seats on the pit thing :facepalm:

f749e724-432f-58f1-8b0f-885bad5a0df6

I've been to plenty of arena and open-air (stadium) shows where the entire place or just the floor is general admission with no seating in the US. I've also been to big stadium shows, like the Stones, where the floor is all reserved seats.  Both have their benefits. You gotta remember, this is generally an older crowd now. Not ancient, but it's not 1992 anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scooby845 said:

On Friday, the band delivered a show that tried to pick up where the band left off in 1993, the last year that core members Rose, Slash and Duff McKagen were on stage together. Those three are back, minus two other key contributors to GNR’s best music: songwriter and rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin and drummer Stephen Adler, whose loose sense of swing has never been equaled by a string of successors.

surprised he didn't spell Axl "Axel"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koldweather said:

Great This I Love again, Axls vocals are not far from 2010 levels at this show and the song seems to be the most improved since the warm up shows (dare I call them that!)

Civil War also seems to be more energetic as well these days, Axl is giving that song more umph than recent times for sure.

Not to be pedantic but they're not even close. I listened to the whole of Lille 2010 yesterday. Just compare This I Love, the difference is vast. The incredible control, diction and sheer effortless power in 2010 was absolute crazy.

But i'm totally fine with him singing clean a lot of the time here. There's a good possibility he might be playing tens or hundreds of AC/DC shows in the next years where he has to give 100% rasp every night and if the trade-off is he has to sing clean a lot with Guns to preserve his voice then so be it.

6 hours ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

A lot of you need to understand that the band isn't designing the setlist for those of you following along nightly on Periscope. There are a lot of people who don't sit on MyGNR every night and are only seeing this show one time - and the band wants to give them the most complete show possible.

And again, this is a big stadium show and also their first (and who knows? Maybe only) time coming back around, which means they're drawing a lot more 'casual' fans than a typical tour might. Trust me, when you're on that stage, you want the crowd going nuts as much as possible: I had great seats right up front in DC, and as much as I loved Coma, there was a significant portion of the crowd that, while they were into it, clearly didn't know the song as well as, say, Brownstone or Patience. The band doesn't want to turn off half the crowd while they run through 8 minutes of Locomotive, a deep cut for the diehards. They gave us Coma - that's for us (and Slash). Plus, all the Chinese stuff is pretty foreign to most of the crowd - especially TIL and Better.

As for why they play The Seeker? The simple answer is that the band probably likes the song. And isn't that what we want? A band playing a song at their most energized? Trust me - when I was listening along to the Periscopes, I was like "eh, this song is pretty boring." When I saw it live in DC - when I saw Slash jumping up and down rocking the fuck out to the song - I loved it. Some things aren't meant to translate well over the internet.

I'm glad lots of other people are taking on the thickos who can't understand the basic logic of having a fairly rigid set this tour.

6 hours ago, ironmt said:

I understand that and actually totally agree with you but when It gets to the point that the same exact topic Is discussed show after show by the same exact people and that topic Involves the blowing of a whistle that takes all of 3 seconds out of a two and a half hour show It makes you start to question that persons Intelligence level.

Quite.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, valengf said:

I dont understand how they do not get bored of the same exact setlist, everytime.

so you are going to EVERY single show?  wow!  I am seeing them in Pittsburgh only, so the setlist will be new for me

33 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Not to be pedantic but they're not even close. I listened to the whole of Lille 2010 yesterday. Just compare This I Love, the difference is vast. The incredible control, diction and sheer effortless power in 2010 was absolute crazy.

I don't think its as vast as you are saying on TIL, but 2010 is certainly better, I'm not saying it isn't.

The key difference from this version and say a 'normal 11-14 version is Axl is starting the notes with rasp for most of the song, in the older versions (other than 2010) he always starts totally clean and tries to slip weak rasp towards the end of the phrase. It was totally different last night.

I suppose you could say this version is a half way house.

I will say though I think Nightrain is better than 2010 (bar maybe a couple of shows, like Bucharest...now that is a heck of a show...best vocal show since the 90s that one IMO)

• Like 1

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but im certanly not enjoying this reunion. Axl sounds like shit on most songs.

Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Civil War, November Rain, Sweet Child O Mine, the raspy parts of Dont Cry and Estranged... He isn't even trying to rasp this songs. With AC/DC, he nailed EVERY FUCKING SONG (except Dirty Deeds and TNT from Lisbon and the first Touch Too Much).

I think it's pretty unfair that we must hear how he butchers our classics with his mickey voice, while on the other hand he is giving 110% with ACDC.

No, the "ACDC is easier to sing" excuse is complete bullshit. This is Axl fucking Rose we're talking about.

Just my opinion on this. I will see them when they come to Argentina though, no doubts.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, rockphantom said:

Performing the same show makes it easier for the band and crew. It also reduces the chances of mistakes occurring. When $3-5 million dollars are on the line every night... There cannot be any fuckups!! :)

Yea man but they have Been in the biz for 30 years and Are already millionaires. Wouldnt they like to have fun and just idk whatever, play Youre crazy instead (although i like seeker). Or changing anything of the encore

5 hours ago, Jboogie said:

Exactly. It's only the 4th show of the tour and already I'm tired of hearing about hope they change the set list or about ticket sales. Just enjoy the damn shows...too much nit picking.

Im enjoying the shows 110%, but i would like to hear a Little bit of variety. And if not cool, im not dissappointed., at least on encore where thats were you May be surprised. Whats the point on having Nice Boys, Slither, Think About You etc if they are always gonna do cry/patience, seeker, pc.

Omg so I'm a tad hungover today but I was at this show last night and I had the best time. I haven't read through this thread to see what everyone else thought, and granted I was pretty wasted, but I thought Axl sounded great and they all kicked ass and it was really high-energy and in retrospect the Chinese Democracy songs were a great idea because everyone needs a couple bathroom/beer breaks, am i right?

But yeah, so glad I went and splurged on good floor seats. I love Guns N Roses!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, valengf said:

Im enjoying the shows 110%, but i would like to hear a Little bit of variety. And if not cool, im not dissappointed., at least on encore where thats were you May be surprised. Whats the point on having Nice Boys, Slither, Think About You etc if they are always gonna do cry/patience, seeker, pc.

Just calm down for sure there will be changes on second Chicago show.

20 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

As per usual:

People who were there have nothing but good things to say and had a blast.

Non-Americans can't get their heads around seats on the floor.

Hey....only what 21 more shows of this to go though right lol :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So mature! Replying with a picture. Why don't you try to convince me im wrong instead?

I edited the picture.  The new one is more fitting.

You're entitled to your opinion but it stems from ignorance.  I've already said it a thousand times.  And most of the ignorance regarding Axl's "rasp" usually comes from G N' R "noob" fans that were still in diapers when G N' R were in their prime.

THE REASON AXL DOESN'T USE RASP IN EVERY G N' R SONG IS BECAUSE MOST G N' R SONGS HAVE NO FREAKIN' RASP IN THEM TO BEGIN WITH.  IF YOU WANT TO HEAR AXL SING WITH RASP ALL THE TIME, GO SEE HIM SING FOR AC/DC. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I don't know if it's right or wrong, but im certanly not enjoying this reunion. Axl sounds like shit on most songs.

Rocket Queen, You Could Be Mine, Civil War, November Rain, Sweet Child O Mine, the raspy parts of Dont Cry and Estranged... He isn't even trying to rasp this songs. With AC/DC, he nailed EVERY FUCKING SONG (except Dirty Deeds and TNT from Lisbon and the first Touch Too Much).

I think it's pretty unfair that we must hear how he butchers our classics with his mickey voice, while on the other hand he is giving 110% with ACDC.

No, the "ACDC is easier to sing" excuse is complete bullshit. This is Axl fucking Rose we're talking about.

Just my opinion on this. I will see them when they come to Argentina though, no doubts.

You are wrong....but you are right to some degree as well.  First off, you do have a right to your opinion of course.  But, please post something where Axl is using Mickey voice.  I can tell you there are very few bits of pieces of that our there this tour.  But, by and large....NO.   So, why don't you post an example of it so everyone will know you are just citing lack of rasp as Mickey voice, which is common, but flawed thinking.  

He also did not generally rasp on High Voltage with AC/DC.  So, I'll chalk that up to your lack of detail.  

And finally, yes AC/DC literaly is easier to sing for Axl.   You can think it's bullshit all you want, but its not.  

Edited by tsinindy

4 minutes ago, halfday said:

I had tickets in section 104 last night. Before GNR came on I went to the front row just to look around. It ends up I see Fernando. I showed him my Night Train fan club thing and my shirt from the Vegas shows. I asked him how I could get me and my wife on the floor. He said no problem and gave me two wrist bands. Watched the show from the pit. Also talked with him and Beta later in the show. Great people, great show, great time. Anybody who tries to say last night was anything but awesome is just a miserable soul who has no idea what they are talking about.

For real! If I wasn't flying out to LA today I would definitely go to the second Chicago show on Sunday. I had a blast.

1 hour ago, GNRfanMILO said:

I respect your opinion and all, but Axl's singing is strong this tour. If you wanna see an example of the voice you're referring to, watch the Golden Gods performance from 2 years ago. I remember Axl leaning on Bumblefoot and skipping entire verses of songs to catch his breath. His singing is improved, and theres rasp where it needs to be. If he's not using it when he should be, it's because he's physically unable due to 30+ years of screaming. But that's rarely the case. I'll cut him some slack. AC/DC songs are virtually all in the same range, where Axl is at his best, and if you compare it to the GNR shows, I'm sure Axl is singing the same when that range is present. 

Edited by KiernanProud
  • Like 4