Did it take a reunion to lose Mickey & get back the rasp??

19 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It didn't take a reunion to bring back the rasp because it has not returned.

That just isn't true.. I agree it was exaggerated how great he sounded during the April shows but he sounds better this tour. He still struggles on some songs (he is awful on PC) but overall he is doing a good enough job.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I can show you examples where it has...not accurate. 

This thread title is inaccurate until he is singing 100% rasp and full power in every GNR song. The fact that he is bringing out the rasp in certain songs makes things even worse. It shows he doesn't care enough. 

What percentage of the ACDC songs did Axl use rasp? 

I rest my case.

5 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

This thread title is inaccurate until he is singing 100% rasp and full power in every GNR song. The fact that he is bringing out the rasp in certain songs makes things even worse. It shows he doesn't care enough. 

I rest my case.

You can rest your case all you want and I don't disagree with what you're saying.  But you do realize there are a fair amount of GnR songs that weren't recorded with rasp.   Such as sweet child of mine.

If you want all rasp all the time, that's cool.  But it doesn't mean Axl isn't singing the songs as intended or he wants.

AC/DCs material is mostly raspy on record, thus Axl has been singing then that way.  Go listen to the GnR songs on record where you think rasp is missing and report back to me if they were recorded with rasp. 

Edited by tsinindy

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

That just isn't true.. I agree it was exaggerated how great he sounded during the April shows but he sounds better this tour. He still struggles on some songs (he is awful on PC) but overall he is doing a good enough job.

It is not about doing a good enough job. If he can sing with rasp than he should freaking do it. Was he thinking about "doing a good enough job" when he sang with ACDC? NO.

Him singing the way he did with ACDC changed the whole argument as far as Axl's vocals with Guns. 

I'll still enjoy the shows because Slash and Duff are there, but I am not going to lie to myself into thinking that Axl is doing great with GnR, because he is not. 

And this argument that "ACDC songs are easier to sing" is nothing but crap.

6 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

It is not about doing a good enough job. If he can sing with rasp than he should freaking do it. Was he thinking about "doing a good enough job" when he sang with ACDC? NO.

Him singing the way he did with ACDC changed the whole argument as far as Axl's vocals with Guns. 

I'll still enjoy the shows because Slash and Duff are there, but I am not going to lie to myself into thinking that Axl is doing great with GnR, because he is not. 

And this argument that "ACDC songs are easier to sing" is nothing but crap.

Pretty sure that it's actually not (crap that AC/DC is easier to sing).  But that aside the bottom line is you want all rasp all the time and you aren't getting it.  Thus, you are displeased.  You have every right to that opinion.   If that's what you want, just sit around and watch the Paris 92 show on YouTube all day.  I guarantee you'll be satisfied :)

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

You can rest your case all you want and I don't disagree with what you're saying.  But you do realize there are a fair amount of GnR songs that weren't recorded with rasp.   Such as sweet child of mine.

If you want all rasp all the time, that's cool.  But it doesn't mean Axl isn't singing the songs as intended or he wants.

AC/DCs material is mostly raspy on record, thus Axl has been singing then that way.  Go listen to the GnR songs on record where you think rasp is missing and report back to me if they were recorded with rasp. 

The songs that were recorded with rasp he is not singing with rasp. You can only judge Axl by how he used to sing in his live performances. You do not go by album. His 1986 live voice is 100 times more powerful than it is now, even if he didn't use much rasp. This is also about power in the voice. The Axl of old did not get overpowered by the rest of the band. what we are hearing now is not a clean voice, it is an intentional weak voice he is using. He is choosing not to sing to his full potential on so many songs.

9 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

He didn't sound great on all the AC/DC songs either. He was incredible on the Brian Johnson stuff and weak and Mickeyish on a lot of the Bon Scott songs.

I am absolutely no Axl suck up. I think he is doing the best he can with the voice he has left and it sounds good enough to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

The songs that were recorded with rasp he is not singing with rasp. You can only judge Axl by how he used to sing in his live performances. You do not go by album. His 1986 live voice is 100 times more powerful than it is now, even if he didn't use much rasp. This is also about power in the voice. The Axl of old did not get overpowered by the rest of the band. what we are hearing now is not a clean voice, it is an intentional weak voice he is using. He is choosing not to sing to his full potential on so many songs.

Give me an example..:waiting.

30 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I rest my case.

That's a really dumb thing to say. Would you really prefer it if Axl didn't use rasp on ANY song? I doubt that. The thing is, most AC/DC songs simply fit his voice 100%. Many GNR songs don't. There isn't a slightest doubt in my mind that Axl would be singing with 100% rasp all the time, if GNR songs would be all about screaming, like AC/DC songs mostly are. Axl always sounds great and raspy when he screams. That's why he sounds good when he sings AC/DC. That's also why he sounds good on songs like Out Ta Get Me, because that song is mostly just screaming.

Better is a perfect example of what Axl can do with his voice and what he can't do. He sings the verses with a clean voice, because his voice can't pull off rasp in those parts. But as soon as the screaming part starts, he's singing with 100% rasp, just like with AC/DC.

Is this "full rasp"? If it isn't, is it "mickey"? Is it bad?

Now, what about this? If High Voltage is neither "full rasp" nor "mickey" and is good, why isn't this good as well?

Edited by Blackstar

9 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

That's a really dumb thing to say. Would you really prefer it if Axl didn't use rasp on ANY song? I doubt that. The thing is, most AC/DC songs simply fit his voice 100%. Many GNR songs don't. There isn't a slightest doubt in my mind that Axl would be singing with 100% rasp all the time, if GNR songs would be all about screaming, like AC/DC songs mostly are. Axl always sounds great and raspy when he screams. That's why he sounds good when he sings AC/DC. That's also why he sounds good on songs like Out Ta Get Me, because that song is mostly just screaming.

Better is a perfect example of what Axl can do with his voice and what he can't do. He sings the verses with a clean voice, because his voice can't pull off rasp in those parts. But as soon as the screaming part starts, he's singing with 100% rasp, just like with AC/DC.

So in other words, his voice is no longer suited for his own songs?He might as well call it quits if that is the case. 

There are parts in ACDC songs in which requires different elements of his voice and he is singing those fine. With GNR, he goes Mickey.

21 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

So in other words, his voice is no longer suited for his own songs?He might as well call it quits if that is the case. 

There are parts in ACDC songs in which requires different elements of his voice and he is singing those fine. With GNR, he goes Mickey.

Again...no he doesn't go Mickey. Show me an example where he goes "Mickey".  I wanna see what you call Mickey.

27 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

He should call it quits only in your opinion. If you ask me and many others, he is still doing a great job, even though some songs would sound better with a raspier voice. But he is giving it his everything. What more can you demand from him.

Even with AC/DC he sounds like "Mickey" on some parts and raspy when he is using his screaming voice.

Edited by Lies They Tell

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Oh I know............just wait...............:lol:

I totally agree with your point though. When I saw them in Vegas & Detroit, I wasn't like "OMGZ! IT'S 2010 ALL OVER AGAIN11!!!!111!!" but I also wasn't sitting there with a notebook jotting down things like "2:10 into NR; no rasp. Wait. 4:57; rasp is back" :lol: I was busy having an awesome time and taking the whole affair in. 

Of course you weren't...

You were typing it on you iPhone!

Mickey is still there. My illusion was to find after ACDC tour a raspy voice...cause with ACDC he could sing with all the power. I dont know why Axl cannot sing with his power with Guns right now....but the reallity is Axl voice sucks...his age is not a excuse, cause he could sing with ACDC with the 100 % of energy. In Guns is not working anymore...you can see in youtube SCM, Coma, etc. So...wich is the reason? THE FUCKIN MOTIVATION 

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Is this "full rasp"? If it isn't, is it "mickey"? Is it bad?

Now, what about this? If High Voltage is neither "full rasp" nor "mickey" and is good, why isn't this good as well?

Honestly I think he sounds just as good or bad on both. Neither one is phenomenal. Neither one is bad. Both have occasional rasp and occasional clean voice. Perhaps the difference is that on High Voltage there's no long stretched vowels. That's why it sounds a little funkier or something. But the voice is pretty much the same. Only on Rocket Queen, he is really stretching those vowels and in the ending he's using a more "emphatic" voice. That's probably why he sounds worse to you. But I really don't see a major difference between those two. You could just as well call the High Voltage performance Mickey-ish.

Just now, Philipm787 said:

Mate you're talking absolute horseshit. Slash gives 100%, all the time, and he was absolutely brilliant with SMKC and will continue to be. Give us some examples of Slashs 'terrible' performances?

Like i said, a lot of smkc shows were terrible. And i did mentioned an example ( that smkc live at roxy.. I got that one recorded from directv.  Slash performance there is nowhere near half of what hes doing right now.  Im a huge slash fan, and i am a guitar player since 22 years a go. I unos what im talking about.

Plus... I know he was always giving 100 %.  But so was axl.  And neither of them was half good as they are now between 2011 -2015.  Is a fact, not an opinion.

12 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Honestly I think he sounds just as good or bad on both. Neither one is phenomenal. Neither one is bad. Both have occasional rasp and occasional clean voice. Perhaps the difference is that on High Voltage there's no long stretched vowels. That's why it sounds a little funkier or something. But the voice is pretty much the same. Only on Rocket Queen, he is really stretching those vowels and in the ending he's using a more "emphatic" voice. That's probably why he sounds worse to you. But I really don't see a major difference between those two. You could just as well call the High Voltage performance Mickey-ish.

Maybe I didn't express it correctly. I meant to say that the voice and style are the same on both songs, i.e. I agree with you. Definitely RQ doesn't sound worse to me and I don't think any of them is mickey-ish.

Edited by Blackstar

41 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

Like i said, a lot of smkc shows were terrible. And i did mentioned an example ( that smkc live at roxy.. I got that one recorded from directv.  Slash performance there is nowhere near half of what hes doing right now.  Im a huge slash fan, and i am a guitar player since 22 years a go. I unos what im talking about.

Plus... I know he was always giving 100 %.  But so was axl.  And neither of them was half good as they are now between 2011 -2015.  Is a fact, not an opinion.

So I am guessing Slash is absolute shit in this performance because it happened between 2011-2015.

It's really too bad he can't get that close to his younger voice. It's just more Mickey. Been listening to You're Crazy and Breakdown a lot recently, and the contrast to present is quite sad. Would love to hear him do growls and wails but of course he can't. He can belt out some good screams, but the growls are gone forever and never heard again. Too fucking bad.

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe I didn't express it correctly. I meant to say that the voice and style are the same on both songs, i.e. I agree with you. Definitely RQ doesn't sound worse to me and I don't think any of them is mickey-ish.

Funny misunderstanding! :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

It's really too bad he can't get that close to his younger voice. It's just more Mickey. Been listening to You're Crazy and Breakdown a lot recently, and the contrast to present is quite sad. Would love to hear him do growls and wails but of course he can't. He can belt out some good screams, but the growls are gone forever and never heard again. Too fucking bad.

Exactly. 

And for this reason it is just the Slash show for me. He is carrying the tour with his guitar playing.

Axl is the greatest frontman I have ever seen. And seeing what he had been reduced to is quite sad. I had the same negative opinion when he came back in 2001. So obviously age is not the problem. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Exactly. 

And for this reason it is just the Slash show for me. He is carrying the tour with his guitar playing.

Axl is the greatest frontman I have ever seen. And seeing what he had been reduced to is quite sad. I had the same negative opinion when he came back in 2001. So obviously age is not the problem. 

What do you mean "what he had been reduced to", this year he regularly sang Back In Black like a freaking 1981 Brian Johnson would. With the performances he has been giving with some ACDC stuff he has not been "reduced" whatsoever. He can sing like that when he wants to as we could see with ACDC. Thus the conclusion is he CHOOSES to use his clean voice on some GNR stuff, not because he cant sing like he used to, he CAN, it's just his preference these days, or he thinks it fits the song better or whatever we dont know the reason for it.

That's not "being reduced", he's singing SCOM, RQ in a different style nowadays, and a lot of fans (like you) just don't like it. You either deal with it or go write a letter to axls management if it bothers you so much. What a ridiculous claim to make, after the performances he gave this year and seeing what he's still capable of

Edited by StrangerInThisTown