NEW INTERVIEW: Axl and Duff Interviewed by Brazilian TV: "Where's Izzy" / "How did the reunion come about" / "New album" all discussed

This interview is going to be strictly for promotional purposes, we aren't going to hear anything too spectacular or unknown. I think it's just going to be about the upcoming South American Leg just to sell more tickets. Still, really badass to see Duff and Axl on the same couch officially being interviewed, this is the first time in what, 24(+) years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

This interview is going to be strictly for promotional purposes, we aren't going to hear anything too spectacular or unknown. I think it's just going to be about the upcoming South American Leg just to sell more tickets. Still, really badass to see Duff and Axl on the same couch officially being interviewed, this is the first time in what, 24(+) years?

Actually, they weren't on the same couch :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I dunno, hopefully sooner rather than EVEN later. If they don't do a new album in the next couple of years we probably won't hear new music unless it's posthumously.

Never Say Never. 

12 hours ago, DexAxl said:

They will tour the shit out of the Not in this lifetime tour. They will be in Europe and probably USA arena tour for whole 2017 so we will not hear any new stuff until 2018 for sure.

I'm thinking they will release a single, at least before the album to keep the momentum going. That would be a smart thing to do, but who am I kidding. I, me, myself and all of yourselves just want to hear something!

3 hours ago, AxlCole said:

What does dropping out of high school and never attending college have to do with whether or not someone is brilliant?

If I have to explain why those things would be relevant then we really have nothing to discuss. 

I didn't say that ONLY high school and college grads could be brilliant. And I didn't say that a high school drop out couldn't be brilliant. 

But as to the actual point....what makes Axl brilliant?

2 minutes ago, Apollo said:

If I have to explain why those things would be relevant then we really have nothing to discuss. 

I didn't say that ONLY high school and college grads could be brilliant. And I didn't say that a high school drop out couldn't be brilliant. 

Think it's his performance style, voice / range. And for me it's also his fuck you attitude. He could have retired after AFD and I'd still consider him a brilliant musician. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apollo said:

You're contradicting yourself.  If it's true... and it is... that a high school drop out can be brilliant, and not only high school and college grads are brilliant, then it follows logically that graduating high school and going to college are irrelevant factors in determining whether or not someone is brilliant.

ON the subject of Axl Rose being brilliant, I think it's fairly clear that the person who stated that was talking about being brilliant in terms of a singer/songwriter/performer, and not in the 'he's working on curing cancer' sense, which makes your reply all the more baffling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Apollo said:

The same thing that makes all great artists brilliant, right?  The ability to tap into human emotion and bring it to life lyrically and musically, the ability to make art that makes us feel something.  Nobody else can really tap into the exact thing that Axl tapped into vocally, lyrically, and melodically on albums like Appetite or UYI.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The same thing that makes all great artists brilliant, right?  The ability to tap into human emotion and bring it to life lyrically and musically, the ability to make art that makes us feel something.  Nobody else can really tap into the exact thing that Axl tapped into vocally, lyrically, and melodically on albums like Appetite or UYI.  

Agreed. Zero question Axl is brilliant. He may be crazy but some of the most brilliant are eccentric in their own ways

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apollo said:

You love his F-you attitude. I think that only comes into play if he is releasing music for his fans do enjoy. My neighbor has a real F-you attitude. But he is a construction worker and I don't think you would enjoy his fist fights and law-hating and rule breaking lifestyle. He is one of the reasons I'm moving from this neighborhood. An F-U attitude isn't that cool when it's your neighbor. 

I get what you say about Bon Jovi, but IMO that makes a true profesional, not necessarilly brilliant. I think when people talk about Axl being brilliant, they're talking about his talent and not whether he made a good use of it or not.

I think Axl has been way unprofessional and plain stupid several times during his career, but I consider him a brilliant singer/songwriter/frontman anyway. It's good to see how he seems to be doing better this year but we still have to see if that translates to releasing music (and properly promoting it) as well.

20 minutes ago, AxlCole said:

You're contradicting yourself.  If it's true... and it is... that a high school drop out can be brilliant, and not only high school and college grads are brilliant, then it follows logically that graduating high school and going to college are irrelevant factors in determining whether or not someone is brilliant.

ON the subject of Axl Rose being brilliant, I think it's fairly clear that the person who stated that was talking about being brilliant in terms of a singer/songwriter/performer, and not in the 'he's working on curing cancer' sense, which makes your reply all the more baffling.

Lol - no. Not contradicting myself at all. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You are the one painting it as a black and white issue. Which is clearly influenced by your weird bashing of higher education. Only on a rock forum could people act like dropping out of high school proves you are smarter than a college graduate. 

Going to college doesn't automatically mean you are brilliant. Dropping out doesn't automatically mean you are stupid. You should try and not use absolutes so much. 

In general, somebody with a masters degree is going to be more intelligent than somebody who dropped out of school in eighth grade. Not every time. Not 100% of the time. But more often than not.

But I'm not going to continue derailing the topic. If you think being educated shouldn't be a factor in determining how smart somebody is ...then we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Now back on topic!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Those first four albums were certainly a brilliant time in Axl's life as a musician. IMO the greatest five year stretch for any rock band in history. 

Too bad that we didn't get another decade or two of Slash/Duff/Izzy pushing - or helping - Axl to be able to maintain that brilliance level of his craft. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Thank you! That's a great answer. Nice to see somebody who isn't butt-hurt because they were educationally challenged. 

If Axl would have retired after Appetite or the Illusions I would have agreed with you. But the way he has handled his career over the last 20 years isn't brilliant-mode, IMO. 

An inability and unwillingness to share music with his fans. Turning GnR into a revolving door of musicians. Yoda, Team Brazil, the ego and the temper. Those aren't real positives. 

You love his F-you attitude. I think that only comes into play if he is releasing music for his fans do enjoy. My neighbor has a real F-you attitude. But he is a construction worker and I don't think you would enjoy his fist fights and law-hating and rule breaking lifestyle. He is one of the reasons I'm moving from this neighborhood. An F-U attitude isn't that cool when it's your neighbor. 

I get what your saying. I just think to be a brilliant musician then the music has to be what's number one on the rankings scale. Not their bad attitude. 

John Bon Jovi is a brilliant musician. And I say that not liking anything he has released in twenty years. Why is he brilliant? Because he is a machine who is extremely fan friendly. He puts out an album every few years. Has successful tours with no hiccups. Does interviews to promote the album and tours. And has been successfully doing that for 30 years. No late starts, no riots, no disappearing for years at a time, etc. One album for your fans in the last 25 years isn't brilliant, IMO.

Axl is my favorite rock singer of all time. And GnR is my favorite band of all time. And I would pay $100 for five new GnR songs in a heartbeat. But for me - Axl has shown flashes of brilliance. But a lot of his career has been missed opportunities. The potential was there to replace Jagger and The Stones as the greatest rock band and frontman of all time. That's how much potential Axl had. 

Some fans don't care and think Appetite/Illusions were enough to cement his legacy. I personally think it's a shame because he has the talent to rewrite the record books. 

Brilliant? Naw. Most fascinating rock singer of all time? Without a doubt. 

Just my opinion. Nobody get their feelings hurt or get angry. And don't twist the Bon Jovi paragraph. Axl is a way more talented frontman than JBJ. JBJ just knew how to operate in the music world on a completely different level. 

I agree on most of what you say here and i consider Axl as my favorite singer of all time too, but don't you think he right now is building on his legacy and being the most incredible frontman of all time with AC/DC and Guns N' Roses now? making such a high profile comeback on age 54 re-proving himself isn't something many have done before him like this. I think This period of time for Axl will go into the Rock history books and if Rolling Stone or something would make a new top whatever frontmen of all time in 5 years or so Axl would be top 3 i think :)

Edit: With what his happening now he is catching up on all the missed years you mentioned in my opinion especially if a new GN'R album will see the light of the day and eventually maybe an album with Angus and co or something.

Edited by GNRmello77
  • Like 1