METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

The problem is Metallica are just making more old music. They are the ones milking the past and the fans.

I do not agree with that. If anything, the prevalent feeling has been quite the reverse, that Metallica have veered away from their thrash roots and alienated their fans.

Plus even on the Nostalgia reunion fuck you tour Guns still play 4-5 songs from CD. I saw Metallica and they played 1 song from DM. They just sitting on the rock conveyor belt telling people what they want to hear because they can't admit they got nothing new. 

At Metallica's last show, they played three songs from their unreleased/upcoming album. Further, on the World Magnetic Tour, there were 878 performances of a Death Magnetic song - by far, the most performances from any of their albums. On the Chinese Democracy Tour there were 513 performances of a Chinese Democracy song.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not agree with that. If anything, the prevalent feeling has been quite the reverse, that Metallica have veered away from their thrash roots and alienated their fans.

At Metallica's last show, they played three songs from their unreleased/upcoming album. Further, on the World Magnetic Tour, there were 878 performances of a Death Magnetic song - by far, the most performances from any of their albums. On the Chinese Democracy Tour there were 513 performances of a Chinese Democracy song.

That change happened for Metallica on the Black album. They just been repeating it. I would agree St Anger they tried to do something different. But DM is nostalgia record. That's the decade Kirk is talking about. 

Maybe Metallica played more shows with one song. But we know GNR have been playing 3-6 songs from CD for most of the 00s. Not sure why Metallica don't play anything off St Anger and only one off DM. 

I think it's because they are also a nostalgia band at this point like any big rock band from 90s. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

That change happened for Metallica on the Black album. They just been repeating it. I would agree St Anger they tried to do something different. But DM is nostalgia record. That's the decade Kirk is talking about. 

And the Loads? You had country, blues rock, alternative and psychedelia on those!!

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

Maybe Metallica played more shows with one song. But we know GNR have been playing 3-6 songs from CD for most of the 00s. Not sure why Metallica don't play anything off St Anger and only one off DM. 

I am not sure where you get this 'one song from Death Magnetic' thing from, but here is a randomly selected (02 Arena March 2009) setlist from the World Magnetic Tour,

That Was Just Your Life

The End of the Line

Harvester of Sorrow

...And Justice for All

One

Broken, Beat & Scarred

My Apocalypse

Sad But True

The Outlaw Torn

The Judas Kiss

The Day That Never Comes

Master of Puppets

Fight Fire With Fire

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Overkill

Hit the Lights

Seek & Destroy

You will see that six songs from Death Magnetic were played!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Not recently. 

Load and re-load were just continuation of selling out to MOR they did on Black album. It wasn't staying relevant. 

St Anger was the only development and how many do they play from that? 

GNR stuck with their new songs through thick and thin. 

Now Metallica are trying to go back to thrash roots after selling out to rock. Never has there been such bs and nostalgia. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Not recently. 

Load and re-load were just continuation of selling out to MOR they did on Black album. It wasn't staying relevant. 

St Anger was the only development and how many do they play from that? 

I do not agree in the slightest. The Loads were quite different from The Black Album and rather varied and experimental.

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

GN'R (including Nugnr) do not have any new songs. The latest songs in their present setlist are eight years old! Metallica have three songs in their current set which are brand new and feature on their forthcoming record.

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Yes, their setlist is still dominated by Appetite for Destruction, an album released 1987.

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

Now Metallica are trying to go back to thrash roots after selling out to rock. Never has there been such bs and nostalgia. 

We've never heard the album outside three songs (it is a double record). Bit unfair to speculate?

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I do not agree in the slightest. The Loads were quite different from The Black Album and rather varied and experimental.

GN'R (including Nugnr) do not have any new songs. The latest songs in their present setlist are eight years old! Metallica have three songs in their current set which are brand new and feature on their forthcoming record.

Yes, their setlist is still dominated by Appetite for Destruction, an album released 1987.

We've never heard the album outside three songs (it is a double record). Bit unfair to speculate?

Hardwired to self destruct is 12 tracks. Hardly a double record.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rubbish. It is two compact discs/vinyl.

Yeah maybe the special edition, with an entire disc of more pointless live songs from that show they did at Rasputin record store on record store day. Oh and another disc of "demos" of the new songs. So yeah, you pay more for the same album twice, just one in shit quality. I think they've thrown that awful Lords of Summer in there too.

Edited by AlexC

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Metallica have a new album out. But there last one was same year CD came out. So they have 3 new songs which are probably rehashes of what they did. So the last time they played something new was around St Anger. So they aren't a nostalgia act? 

However much Metallica develop they will never get to Shackler's, If the World, Prostitute of new songs. They've never done anything new that they kept in their set list. 

Metallica are doing nostalgia albums and GNR keep evolving at their own pace but have never rehashed the past yet on an album. 

Edited by wasted
Nostalgiaforever
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Yeah maybe the special edition, with an entire disc of more pointless live songs from that show they did at Rasputin record store on record store day. Oh and another disc of "demos" if the new songs. So yeah, you pay more the same album twice, just one in shit quality. I think they've thrown that awful Lords of Summer in there too.

Absolute rubbish. You are referring to the three disc 'deluxe version'. The main album, which retails at a cheaper price, is spread across two discs,

Disc: 1
  1. Hardwired
  2. Atlas, Rise!
  3. Now That We're Dead
  4. Moth Into Flame
  5. Dream No More
  6. Halo On Fire"

Disc: 2
  1. Confusion
  2. ManUNkind
  3. Here Comes Revenge
  4. Am I Savage?
  5. Murder One
  6. Spit Out The Bone"

For slightly more you obtain this in addition to the above, as part of the deluxe version,

Disc: 3
  1. Lords Of Summer
  2. Ronnie Rising Medley (feat. A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer & Kill The King)
  3. When A Blind Man Cries
  4. Remember Tomorrow
  5. Helpless (Live)
  6. Hit The Lights (Live)
  7. The Four Horsemen (Live)
  8. Ride The Lightning (Live)
  9. Fade To Black (Live)
  10. Jump In The Fire (Live)
  11. For Whom The Bell Tolls (Live)
  12. Creeping Death (Live)
  13. Metal Militia (Live)
  14. Hardwired (Live)

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Absolute rubbish. You are referring to the three disc 'deluxe version'. The main album, which retails at a cheaper price, is spread across two discs,

For slightly more you obtain this in addition to the above, as part of the deluxe version,

Okay... So that's what I said, minus the demos and a couple of unwanted covers I was correct. The original album tracklisting is 12 tracks. Not exactly a double album is it? Just because a bunch of them will be 8 minute snoozefests doesn't change that.

Edited by AlexC

There's only 12 songs on a double cd? And a 3rd disc is full of live versions. Don't stop taking risks and evolving the music. Tell me it's not longer more thrash songs like some old album they did 20 years ago. We are getting back to the essential Metallica sound we call home of nostalgia. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

Metallica have a new album out. But there last one was same year CD came out. So they have 3 new songs which are probably rehashes of what they did. So the last time they played something new was around St Anger. So they aren't a nostalgia act? 

Well you said 'probably' so even you don't know. I do not know what is on that album besides the three - nobody does until its release. There may be a reggae song on there for all we know. We also don't know how many they will play from it on their tour. I would not necessarily call Death Magnetic a 'rehash' of a former era either. Certainly it recalls some of their earlier genres, but there is a difference between writing in an earlier genre and rehashing it. Streets of Dreams, by your logic, could merely be described as an Illusion 2 (ballad) rehash.

However much Metallica develop they will never get to Shackler's, If the World, Prostitute of new songs. They've never done anything new that they kept in their set list. 

All of those songs are dreadful and not particularly experimental.

Metallica are doing nostalgia albums and GNR keep evolving at their own pace but have never rehashed the past yet on an album. 

They're doing albums.  Even using your erroneous logic, that their albums are 'rehashes', a band who are releasing and playing something new are certainly a lot less nostalgic than a band who have basically played the exact same setlist since 2011.

5 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Okay... So that's what I said, minus the demos and a couple of unwanted covers I was correct. The original album tracklisting is 12 tracks. Not exactly a double album is it? Just because a bunch of them will be 8 minute snoozefests doesn't change that.

Pay attention to the bold,

A double album (or double record) is an audio album which spans two units of the primary medium in which it is sold, typically records and compact discs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_album

Number of tracks are irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

There's only 12 songs on a double cd? And a 3rd disc is full of live versions. Don't stop taking risks and evolving the music. Tell me it's not longer more thrash songs like some old album they did 20 years ago. We are getting back to the essential Metallica sound we call home of nostalgia. 

The third disc is a deluxe version which is not part of the main release. You do not need to buy it; it is just something for the hardcore fans. The two-disc version is the main release.

"I Disappear"

The song/video from Mission Impossible 2 was quite grand & unique at the time..but on the flipside of my opinion Lars made such a goofball decision with the Napster ordeal that overnight Metallica became extinct in the beginning of the nu-metal phase and it definitely affected them.

Now KIRK coming out with these comments seems contrived in many ways..

In the meantime, Lars said:

'Eight years. What have you been doing?' it's, like, 'Excuse me?' We've been busier in the last eight years than we ever have in our lives. Sometimes I kind of go, 'Wait a minute.' We spent three years touring 'Death Magnetic', we put two incredibly hard years into making of the 'Through The Never' movie project, we did the whole dance with Lou Reed, and we've played every single festival on this planet multiple times in the last eight years, we've been to continents that are primarily inhabited by penguins. So it's been a pretty busy eight years. And we've managed to record a record. [Laughs] I hereby officially predict — or 'hope,' maybe would be a better word — that it's not gonna [take us] another eight years [to release] another record. So there you go. I said it. Okay, throw it back at me eight years from now"

While Axl said in 2012:

On 2008's "Chinese Democracy", which was reportedly in the works for 13 years: "I had to deal with so many other things that don't have to do with music but have to do with the industry. There's such a loss of time. It was more about survival. There wasn't anyone to work with or trust. Someone would come in to help produce and the reality was they just wanted to mix it and get it out the door. They had a different agenda. (The next album) will come out sooner."

As good Metallica is, there best stuff was in the 80s, and The black album, the stuff since then is nothing special, And they have never made songs like Sweet child o mine. Estranged. November Rain. Coma. So Fine. One in a million. Cival War. Breakdown. You could be mine. Songs there are better than Metallica has ever done.

And i do love the Metallica stuff in the 80s. Master of puppets. Ride The lighting etc.

1 minute ago, lassie said:

As good Metallica is, there best stuff was in the 80s, and The black album, the stuff since then is nothing special, And they have never made songs like Sweet child o mine. Estranged. November Rain. Coma. So Fine. One in a million. Cival War. Breakdown. You could be mine. Songs there are better than Metallica has ever done.

And i do love the Metallica stuff in the 80s. Master of puppets. Ride The lighting etc.

That is pure subjectivity. A Metallica fan for instance is not going to agree with that statement in the slightest. Additionally, the Black Album was an album with mass appeal.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is pure subjectivity. A Metallica fan for instance is not going to agree with that statement in the slightest. Additionally, the Black Album was an album with mass appeal.

No a Metallica fan will always say that Metallica is best. I do like Metallica they were awesome in the 80s, some real great stuff. Even Kill em all i like, it is raw and in your face

Edited by lassie

I'm not upset cause Kirk said something mean about Guns. I just think Metallica, even with all their activity are way more nostalgic than Gn'R.

Kirk is saying Guns has turned into a nostalgia act cause Axl doesn't release albums.

Not because of how the shows have been in recent years. Not Vegas and all that, just albums.

In that aspect, Metallica is way more nostalgic. They copy themselves, unable to let go of their legacy and what their first albums had.

It will be like Axl always going back for that Appetite sound for example, trying to capture it again, instead of saying he wants to bury it, meaning bury the past, moving forward.

He did not bury AFD, but at least he went for it. All Metallica did was worthless projects like shitty movies, playing Antarctica, etc.

Death Magnetic was a step back, St. Anger they were totally lost and Kirk lost when it came to fuckin' playing solos cause that's what was big at the time, that whole nu metal thing with no solos and Lars thought it would be a great idea.

I think it is hypocritical of Kirk to talk about how he gets bored if he doesn't write or some shit. Like Axl never writes anything or doesn't have 9000 riffs in the vault. Writing ain't the same thing as releasing albums.

Metallica, for the last 8 years or so, did what they wanted with the band, what was comfortable. They love to tour, not really record. Seems like a hassle and there's no money in it really.

And now Lars said they don't even have the stamina to tour for years, or even work on any single project for too long. they have concentrated on their families and other things.

Axl is creative, he did record a lot of unreleased tunes, many sources claim.

It just so happens that Metallica was always more concerned about touring, about making their fans happy, but it all failed or was not good enough.

What was their last great album? they give me a strong nostalgia vibe, more like you can tell they have nothing to say anymore. They don't really want to put out more than 1 album in 10 years, just like Axl, but they must cause the fans dictate so much of their activity.

I'd take Axl anyday over Metallica, and I like their good albums. At least he cares about not repeating himself musically when it comes to Guns and that it actually doesn't fuck up the catalog like St. Anger did for Metallica.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1