METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

of course, Hammett is right and I don't care what Metallica does

GNR play 90% of the same set every gig

no new songs

the big 3 just sell this shows with their names, cos no matter what & how they play, people will still come

Axl's probably was more excited to play with Ac/Dc than he is with GNR

indeed, it's sad

money for the lifetime tour

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Not everyone is a bitter fanboy/girl, I'm not....anyway, how's your sex life?

It's not going well for him at all :rofl-lol: just read his posts 

19 hours ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

But GNR was nostalgia act before Slash and Duff came back...

I think it was even worse before they came back. You had guys who were covering guys who covered guys. Ashba playing robins solos which were slashs. Same with bumblefoot and buckethead. It was too hard to make sense of

19 hours ago, Naupis said:

Slash released 3 albums in that time period while having to share his lead singer with another band.

Axl is/was/continues to be why we have no music.

Slash and Duff would knock out a GNR sounding album in no time flat. As usual they are not the problem in this equation.

Slash and Duff would need Izzy to do that. Not trying to sound bitter or butt hurt and the current lack of Izzy but, gnr would be nothing without him. So you need slash duff and Izzy to create the gnr sound as far as I'm concerned 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 10:29 AM, Original said:

Kirk Hammett- LOL.  Guns (biggest band in the world around the UYI era) reunites after 25 years for what so far (only 35 shows or so) and everyone wants new music immediately....  Lets just enjoy the situation.  If we are 18 + months down the road then we'll talk.  Slash n Axl hadn't spoken in over 15 years, probably gonna need some time before they can sit down and write and record.  I'm confidant it will happen...patience. 

Well I think this is just the point of the fans and why gnr have been selling out. Humans are attention deficit, some more than others. Once ya get bored it's time for something different for stimulation. Right now I think everybody's just so pumped and flabbergasted that the band is actually on stage together in the form that they are.

It'll get old eventually but for now the fans are happy.. they can only sell or stadiums off of the old material for so long

23 hours ago, AlexC said:

Are you even a fan?

A fan doesn't have to worship every thing a band does to be considered a fan. Most of are die-hard fans of GnR. But we also are able to think logically and we don't just blindly worship everything he does. 

Hammitt is 100% correct. GnR has released one album of original music in the last 25 years. 

What Metallica is doing or whether or not people like their songs has zero - literally zero - to do with lie favorite band just cashing in on songs they wrote 25-30 years ago. 

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to bash any musician who isn't worshiping Axl and company. 

Gnr has been a revolving door of musicians with Axl being the only constant. So it's a little disingenuous to say "this band has only been together for X amount of time. Give them time." As far as I know, Guns n Roses has been a band since the mid-80s. This current lineup is just the latest version. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Apollo said:

A fan doesn't have to worship every thing a band does to be considered a fan. Most of are die-hard fans of GnR. But we also are able to think logically and we don't just blindly worship everything he does. 

Hammitt is 100% correct. GnR has released one album of original music in the last 25 years. 

What Metallica is doing or whether or not people like their songs has zero - literally zero - to do with lie favorite band just cashing in on songs they wrote 25-30 years ago. 

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to bash any musician who isn't worshiping Axl and company. 

Gnr has been a revolving door of musicians with Axl being the only constant. So it's a little disingenuous to say "this band has only been together for X amount of time. Give them time." As far as I know, Guns n Roses has been a band since the mid-80s. This current lineup is just the latest version. 

But when personnel change in Axl's band, that changes things and stretches the process. Perhaps even changes goals. Just like when you fire someone and need to replace him. There's a process of finding a replacement. And when you people like Izzy or Slash or Bucket/Robin that changes shit. You can't ignore that like it doesn't have a negative effect.

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But when personnel change in Axl's band, that changes things and stretches the process. Perhaps even changes goals. Just like when you fire someone and need to replace him. There's a process of finding a replacement. And when you people like Izzy or Slash or Bucket/Robin that changes shit. You can't ignore that like it doesn't have a negative effect.

Metallica had to replace Cliff Burton who died tragically in 1986. By 1988 they had a brand spanking new album out. Metallica had to further replace Jason Newsted in 2001.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Metallica had to replace Cliff Burton who died tragically in 1986. By 1988 they had a brand spanking new album out. Metallica had to further replace Jason Newsted in 2001.

Axl had to replace Izzy, Slash, Paul Huge live, Finck, Bumble, DJ, Josh, Brain, Steven Adler, Duff, Sorum, and Tracy and Roberta with Pitman and eventually Mellisa.

He still delivered an album to the label in 1999, that they have rejected. Work began in 1997. These are all facts.

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, I liked a lot of the stuff on those albums too. I'm a melody guy, and that has always been lacking with Metallica, you won't find many melodies on their 80s and early 90s stuff. So there are a lot of people who didn't start liking Metallica until those albums. But there's no right or wrong, it's whatever you prefer. But some posters act like those albums can't be any good just because they prefer the metal songs.

I agree. I really f don't like much o

51 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

There's more good stuff on side 11 of the spaghetti incident than everything Metallica did in the 80s

I think Kirk is right. Maybe comments from Kirk or other famous musicians gonna lit a spark in Axl and the rest to actually release a new album, to prove people wrong. Axl himself never wanted to be a nostalgia act.

Why don't just create your own label and release if that's easier than go thru Geffen etc?

It's sad that a great band like GN'R with talented musicians broke apart and did not release more music. Lets just hope now that Slash and Duff are back they go in the studio and record an album that rocks :headbang: But first let them do their current tour ofc.

Edited by estranged_85

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

Slash and Duff would need Izzy to do that. Not trying to sound bitter or butt hurt and the current lack of Izzy but, gnr would be nothing without him. So you need slash duff and Izzy to create the gnr sound as far as I'm concerned 

If a possible new album sounds like the few new jams they do I wouldn't be that sure about Izzy.

Of course is Izzy an important part but by people's behavior it's like Axl, Slash and Duff never released something on their own. Izzy isn't creditet on every Guns song and Axl and Slash were similar important to the Guns sound.

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

If a possible new album sounds like the few new jams they do I wouldn't be that sure about Izzy.

Of course is Izzy an important part but by people's behavior it's like Axl, Slash and Duff never released something on their own. Izzy isn't creditet on every Guns song and Axl and Slash were similar important to the Guns sound.

Yeah but half of Appetite, Don't Cry, and You Could Be Mine. Best album he was a crucial part, and for the Illusions, without his big Guns, and album cuts, it would have never been as big.

Lies he wrote 3 tunes out of 4. Even after he quit the band, Axl still asked for Down By The Ocean.

He wrote 10 albums. When you look at it like this, he profoundly shaped the music.

I think Axl can still deliver a great album with Slash and Duff, but it will be something else. Probably will sound like Guns, but an element will always be missing. He was the most talented writer in Guns by far.

Still could have been of great value to Axl today as evident by his current releases. Izzy is a writing machine. He writes tunes like Slash comes up with riffs. And it all has Guns dna in it. That's special. The band could have used that to create something even better.

On 11/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, Original said:

Kirk Hammett- LOL.  Guns (biggest band in the world around the UYI era) reunites after 25 years for what so far (only 35 shows or so) and everyone wants new music immediately....  Lets just enjoy the situation.  If we are 18 + months down the road then we'll talk.  Slash n Axl hadn't spoken in over 15 years, probably gonna need some time before they can sit down and write and record.  I'm confidant it will happen...patience. 

I think all of us GNR fans have a lot of it...patience.

24 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yeah but half of Appetite, Don't Cry, and You Could Be Mine. Best album he was a crucial part, and for the Illusions, without his big Guns, and album cuts, it would have never been as big.

Lies he wrote 3 tunes out of 4. Even after he quit the band, Axl still asked for Down By The Ocean.

He wrote 10 albums. When you look at it like this, he profoundly shaped the music.

I think Axl can still deliver a great album with Slash and Duff, but it will be something else. Probably will sound like Guns, but an element will always be missing. He was the most talented writer in Guns by far.

Still could have been of great value to Axl today as evident by his current releases. Izzy is a writing machine. He writes tunes like Slash comes up with riffs. And it all has Guns dna in it. That's special. The band could have used that to create something even better.

It's cool that you're so familiar with the Guns history but I know all of this by myself.

I see it this way: Slash's best solo songs lack Axl more than they lack Izzy. I know what Izzy had done for Guns but if he isn't available Axl, Slash and Duff can do well by themselfs.

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's cool that you're so familiar with the Guns history but I know all of this by myself.

I see it this way: Slash's best solo songs lack Axl more than they lack Izzy. I know what Izzy had done for Guns but if he isn't available Axl, Slash and Duff can do well by themselfs.

Even cooler is that I take into consideration what I know, what Axl has said. And that leads me to believe Slash tunes are probably not gonna be the lion's share of a potential Guns album. At least it's likely Axl played Slash and Duff his material and said he'll be alright with Slash playing on basically his own solo album which is what Axl has gathered in his vault over the years.

That means building it around his material. Izzy is of value anyway, I don't think Slash is of more value to Guns artistically tbh. Izzy is at least just as important. Just cause he's not available doesn't mean he wouldn't have contributed greatly to Guns, like he did in the past in every old Guns album and that was my point: history shows Izzy was crucial to any Guns album when he was still around. Hell... one of his tunes could still be released on a future Guns album (Down By The Ocean)

• Like 1