METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

35 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I am glad that Guns decided on a reunion/nostalgia tour instead of deciding to jump right into writing music. Call me gun-shy if you will, but the last time Axl, Duff, and Slash tried to write music together everything went Kaboom and Slash and Axl couldn't even stand to hear each others names said for many of those years. I'd rather this nostalgia tour we are getting with the unfortunate chance we get no new music to the possibility of them trying to do new music first/right away and everything blowing up again and getting neither a tour nor new music.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly we will happily get both.

I think they are on the right track here, touring with the (incomplete) reunited members for what I hope just a couple of years, THEN only start sitting down together and lay down the tracks they want to put on a record by (some of) the original members. They need to take things gradually after feuding for so long esp S & A. 

Just now, cheesecake said:

I think they are on the right track here, touring with the (incomplete) reunited members for what I hope just a couple of years, THEN only start sitting down together and lay down the tracks they want to put on a record by (some of) the original members. They need to take things gradually after feuding for so long esp S & A. 

The best scenario would be that being on stage and playing together again has created sparks and they are currently writing like mad and will be ready to record as soon as they have a break.

...I wouldn't hold my breath though.

10 minutes ago, Stro said:

Hold up, a band that had its hey day 30 years ago, that for all intents and purposes died 23 years ago, getting together for a REUNION tour is a nostalgia act? What a hot take. No shit it's a nostalgia act. So is every band from that era and before still playing. Including Metallica. No one is going to shows to hear songs Metallica wrote in 2016, just like people aren't going to NITL shows to hear something GNR wrote this year.

People go see McCartney to hear the old stuff but he still makes records. Same with the Stones, Elton John, AC/DC and plenty of others. Even KISS.

Because that's what musicians do.  But not Axl.  He's obviously bored with singing Paradise City etc, but he doesn't give enough of a fuck to do anything about it. He'd rather just cash the big checks and hang out with that Andrei guy.

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

You're telling GnR fans to have patience? We got one album of original material in 25 years and you're telling us to have some patience? Ok, that's it. I retire from this board.

Don't be an idiot. The core of this current band has been broke up for over 20 years. They've been back together for less than a year. Yet you're crying because they haven't released a new album since their first show in April.

I don't understand why some people want every band to change their style. Most of the times that's far from being an evolution, bands get worse when they do that. Metallica were fucking kings, the quality of their releases was insane. Then they decided to try new things and they never released a good album again. Similar thing happened to Megadeth, I like some of their mid/late 90's stuff but it's not even close to the quality of Rust In Peace or Peace Sells.

GNR has always gone downhill to most people's eyes. Most of the fans consider Appetite to be their best album. The Illusions, even if they're "not as good" (for most), they're still loved by pretty much every fan. And then (if you count it as GNR) there's Chinese Democracy, an album that half of the GNR fans can't stand. Yet some people claim it would be a tragedy if they released new songs like Nightrain or Jungle, songs that all the fans love, and are expecting them to go after more songs like Riad or If The World, songs that half of the fans hate. 

I'm not saying what they should do or what I expect them to do, I like Chinese Democracy and wouldn't mind some of the new stuff (if we ever hear any) following that line but I don't understand all this evolution shit. I would be the happiest motherfucker on the planet if I got to hear Appetite 2 and And Justice For All 2. There are many bands that can create weird modern music but there aren't many (if there are at all) that can write hard rock music as well as GNR or heavy metal as well as Metallica.

10 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

hahaha. Outtakes are sad attempts at making money off dumbass people. Outtakes are exactly that because they either werent good enough to be on the original record, or in this case some of those songs on the EP were better than some of the atrocious songs that ended up on DM. So they ended up looking shit because those probably should of replaced horrible songs on DM.

Full of subjectivity and bias (like most Axl fans).

Google tells me that Nostalgia is...

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations / something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia

This threeunion with the FOUR ALIENS (FOUR! Its more ALIENS than members!) fails miserably at "evoking feelings of nostalgia" and fails miserably at bringing any "happy personal association with the past"

Listening to the threeunion with the FOUR aliens is actualy disenheartening

2 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

GN'R is a nostalgia act, but so is Metallica. 

The funny thing is, Chinese Democracy was released more recently than Metallica's last album. So what the hell does Kirk Hammett believe they've been doing for most of the past 4-5 years while they've been touring? Pot meet kettle.

Metallica does it for the past 4-5 years despite never breaking up and it's ok. GN'R does it for 7 months thus far after a 23 yr absence and it's somehow different. Go figure.

Kirk Hammett is an idiot. He needs to worry about his own band.

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Full of subjectivity and bias (like most Axl fans).

Its not about being an Axl fan(which im not). Im not a CD apologist and never have been. 

Its simple facts. Metallica is as much a Nostagia act as GNR are.  Thats what makes Kirks comments laughable. They just came off an million show tour consisting of 90% songs off their first 5 records.  

Funny you call my shit biased, when you're probably one of the most biased people around. you're dead stuck in your opinions and make snide remarks at others opinions.

Edited by NicDwolfwood

5 minutes ago, thunderram said:

GN'R does it for 7 months thus far after a 23 yr absence and it's somehow different. Go figure.

axl has been playing the core of the threeunion setliist (easy, brownstone, nightrain, jungle, pcity, sweet child, nov rain, you could be mine, knocking, live and let die, chinese etc) on pretty much every show he did as gnr for the last 15 years 

46 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

People go see McCartney to hear the old stuff but he still makes records. Same with the Stones, Elton John, AC/DC and plenty of others. Even KISS.

Because that's what musicians do.  But not Axl.  He's obviously bored with singing Paradise City etc, but he doesn't give enough of a fuck to do anything about it. He'd rather just cash the big checks and hang out with that Andrei guy.

Or he cares way too much and would rather not release it at all if it's not absolutely what he wants to release? he doesn't have to... fans might feel he must do it, but he doesn't.

And that's why he keeps it to himself until it feels like it's time. If at all.

From what Axl has talked about in the past, to me it seems certain things must be in place for it to be released.

If Axl has such a big problem of coming up with ideas, I don't think he would have suggested Angus to do an AC/DC album.

But when it comes to his baby, his Guns solo project, it seems he's not gonna pull the trigger until

-the tunes are great and make sense together like Baz said Axl explained to him that this song goes with that one thematically, etc when he played him CD ll and other vault stuff.

-the album has a chance of being a success, promotion.

-the album is reflective of the band and Axl now as well, stands up to the legacy.

I don't think it's cause he's lazy, he just wants to get it right and is in no hurry. Gn'R released enough, even if it's not much, to secure their place in rock history anyway.

You release a dud, and it's tarnished.

Edited by Rovim

15 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

axl has been playing the core of the threeunion setliist (easy, brownstone, nightrain, jungle, pcity, sweet child, nov rain, you could be mine, knocking, live and let die, chinese etc) on pretty much every show he did as gnr for the last 15 years 

And he had an album as recently as 2008. Same as Metallica. Furthermore, are you trying to tell me that Metallica hasn't been playing their hits for the past 15 years too? They put out exactly 1 more album than AXL did this millennium (not counting the soon to be released).

Metallica just played a show here in NorCal last year. What do you think they played?

31 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

Google tells me that Nostalgia is...

a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations / something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia

This threeunion with the FOUR ALIENS (FOUR! Its more ALIENS than members!) fails miserably at "evoking feelings of nostalgia" and fails miserably at bringing any "happy personal association with the past"

Listening to the threeunion with the FOUR aliens is actualy disenheartening

Fortus has been in the band 14 years, Frank 10 years, Dizzy 26 years. Melissa is the only one who's out of place. Most of the fans are familiar with the other members.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The only option is to keep it pathetic, finish the tour, make big money and then maybe Axl will find a way to actually do something cool with this line up. They can still do something greater together. I hope the fire is still there for Axl to actually go for it.

I remember that Axl said something like he wished he wouldve looked into releasing independently in that China Exchange interview. So maybe hez trying to make a fuck ton of money to fund his own label to make videos and release music whenever he pleases without the need of label approvals.

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

I remember that Axl said something like he wished he wouldve looked into releasing independently in that China Exchange interview. So maybe hez trying to make a fuck ton of money to fund his own label to make videos and release music whenever he pleases without the need of label approvals.

Maybe. Who knows? in the China Exchange interview Axl said that it's not gonna be soon, the next Guns album. And kinda stopped there.

I wish there was a scenario in which someone would just ask: "why not? are there specific reasons? is it adding Slash and Duff, releasing it through your own new label? is it cause you don't quite know yet what tunes to use now? want to concentrate on touring for 5 years first?

I don't even know what Axl wants to do other then yeah... he wants to release more Guns music and it seemed like he feels he didn't do enough in Guns. That actually could be something? like if he feels that way, and he has 3 albums worth of material like Fortus said and Slash and Duff, maybe he really does want to release it?

But he never specifically addresses why it's not soon. In 2002, he did specifically explained they're gonna do more recordings and shit. At least that. Then there were problems with the label and members leaving the band. But now they're not faced with the same issues. I conclude it's cause a Guns album is one of the most important things for him in his life. It became a hobby with the vault. A love project and also with the weight of Guns attached to it.

He will always have a problem of letting it go and releasing his music. It will always take a decade give or take, and that is not about labels imo. It's about taking as long as you need to finish your art and only then release it when you can also sell it like you want to.

Maybe Axl doesn't know yet if it will even work with Slash and Duff and the vault. It's early, he did play them tunes from it and seems content they liked it. Maybe he's thinking about how to do it.

Edited by Rovim

Let`s be honest. The whole situation now is about and for MONEY.Kirk is right in the way that Guns don`t play any NEW music by the band. The whole situation now is about and for MONEY. They don`t give any fresh artistic power nor idies. Slash gave us some cool stuff and so Duff, Izzy, Steven. But Axl made only one album of new (old) material. And talked for years about new music. Only talked, But didn`t even made a realease date after CD.

You know reunion was a huge event for me. But after NA tour it became boring to watch the same dead artistry. They will get money next whole year. And song remain the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Requiem16 said:

Let`s be honest. The whole situation now is about and for MONEY.Kirk is right in the way that Guns don`t play any NEW music by the band. The whole situation now is about and for MONEY. They don`t give any fresh artistic power nor idies. Slash gave us some cool stuff and so Duff, Izzy, Steven. But Axl made only one album of new (old) material. And talked for years about new music. Only talked, But didn`t even made a realease date after CD.

You know reunion was a huge event for me. But after NA tour it became boring to watch the same dead artistry. They will get money next whole year. And song remain the same.

Maybe Axl was just honest when he said it was the Coachella offer that got him to reunite with Slash. Money. They get along cause Duff probably explained shit to Axl so why not make much more money when the offers come?

Doesn't mean it's just about the money as a whole, they can still do stuff, Axl never wanted Slash and Duff to leave Guns. But this current tour? I think it is about the money.

And factoring in Axl doesn't release anything nowdays anyway and does nostalgia tours in Vegas anyway, this cash grab may be more nostalgic and therefore is even more pathetic, cause you got 2 original Gunners and you're still not moving forward. It's not for the money when you have something new to sell which has artistic merit.

It is just nostalgia and grabbing cash when it's too much money to not do it if the only other option for Axl is to put together another new line up which everyone will hate just to still have a job whilst Slash's old Guns loot is at risk of being grabbed by his ex whore.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bran said:

you can't compare gnr and metallica at this stage of the game.

Sure you can. A member of Metallica made a statement about something they've been guilty of themselves for several years now while also having not released an album since before Chinese Democracy. Therein lies the comparison.

2 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Sure you can. A member of Metallica made a statement about something they've been guilty of themselves for several years now while also having not released an album since before Chinese Democracy. Therein lies the comparison.

you can make the comparison if you want, but it is a shit one. metallica has created new music, and will release a new double album this year, their third album since CD was released.  gnr has done absolutely nothing and pissed way their talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

And he had an album as recently as 2008. Same as Metallica. Furthermore, are you trying to tell me that Metallica hasn't been playing their hits for the past 15 years too? They put out exactly 1 more album than AXL did this millennium (not counting the soon to be released).

Metallica just played a show here in NorCal last year. What do you think they played?

i couldnt care less about metallica. i have watched some metallica shows and they are going on autopilot for years

the fact that metallica plays the same stupid setlist doesnt prevent anyone from that band to tell that the threeunion is doing the same

at least metallica releases albums. slash releases albums, duff releases albums, izzy releases albums. 

leonard cohen, rest in peace, at an old age, has released 4 (usually terrific) studio albums on the last 15 years

bu of course axl cant release music because he has such high standards of perfection

yeah i used to believe that untile he released his solo album

now this threeunion band isnt only a nostalgia act, like kirk put so well

its also predictable (same setlist), greedy (no izzy cause-i-cant-never-get-enough-money-on-this-lifetime) and lazy (no new songs, no deep cuts, nothing)

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Fortus has been in the band 14 years, Frank 10 years, Dizzy 26 years. Melissa is the only one who's out of place. Most of the fans are familiar with the other members.

george w bush was president of USA for 8 years

does that made him a good one?

1 hour ago, bran said:

you can make the comparison if you want, but it is a shit one. metallica has created new music, and will release a new double album this year, their third album since CD was released.  gnr has done absolutely nothing and pissed way their talent.

No, your ability to get simple facts straight is shit. Their last album was released before CD. And they haven't released one since. The new one isn't out yet. They've spent the past 8 years doing exactly what AXL's been doing. Thanks for playing though.

Edited by thunderram