METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

Should have stuck with the CD-era line-up and taken up Ron's idea of writing and recording by jamming on tour and in between then releasing the tracks online. No accusations of being a nostalgia act could have been levelled at the band then.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can one album in twenty-five plus years be considered 'creative'?

I don't know, not too creative, but they made so many good songs, on just a few albums back in the day, and some bands make 20 albums with maybe one or two good songs on each. So it is not about quantity but quality.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Should have stuck with the CD-era line-up and taken up Ron's idea of writing and recording by jamming on tour and in between then releasing the tracks online. No accusations of being a nostalgia act could have been levelled at the band then.

But even without Kirk saying it, any band that don't release albums cannot move forward. Any musician. It's like you're not saying anything anymore, so of course the past is all that is there artistically.

Axl works differently I believe. Like what Bumble offered was really constructive and a good idea, but you have to consider what type of person Axl is, his artistic goal, and the way he gets there. Bumble's and Axl's approach just don't mix well together.

And by that I mean any artist that wants to release more than 1 album every 10 years.

I feel like Axl does release albums and did not lose the will to do it. It's just his process is not something that is common in the industry (and for a good reason you might say)

But perhaps for Axl a Guns album is something more personal, like it's gotta be right, and that's something a man like Kirk can't possibly understand.

He's not in Axl's position, he doesn't have the burden of having the need to realize a grand vision. Just another decent Metallica album will probably be good enough for fans and Metallica.

Another Guns album that is not as good as Chinese is something I think Axl won't allows, in that he'd rather not release at all.

But yeah, the live Guns N' Roses shows are nostalgic as fuck. This is obvious.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

How can one album in twenty-five plus years be considered 'creative'?

"Axl is creative, he did record a lot of unreleased tunes, many sources claim."

That's the full sentence. I mean Axl is creative, it's not like Chinese was all that was recorded, just all that was released.

Kirk said he gets bored if he doesn't pick up his guitar and then he has a riff!

But how does he know Axl is not just as creative in his studio, or hotel room or whatever?

Look... we know Axl recorded more stuff. He played it to Slash and Duff. They liked it. Releasing albums is not the same as writing the music or being creative.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

I'm not sure, but I think that for a majority of the audience The Black Album from 1991 is still a pretty big album.

Correction 1991, i thought the Black album was released in 90...and again what Hammett is saying is technically correct but if he's gonna have a pop at Guns then he should mention the Misfits or a number of bands who've done the same thing. I guess the Misfits aren't going to take any limelight away from Metallica though are they?...Besides if it was down to Kirk Hammett i don't think Metallica would be nearly as prolific!

Edited by Silverburst80

Just now, Rovim said:

"Axl is creative, he did record a lot of unreleased tunes, many sources claim."

That's the full sentence. I mean Axl is creative, it's not like Chinese was all that was recorded, just all that was released.

Kirk said he gets bored if he doesn't pick up his guitar and then he has a riff!

But how does he know Axl is not just as creative in his studio, or hotel room or whatever?

Look... we know Axl recorded more stuff. He played it to Slash and Duff. They liked it. Releasing albums is not the same as writing the music or being creative. I guess it was creative enough for Slash and Duff.

I have ten masterpieces written in my house. I am therefore creative. It is up to you whether or not you believe me.

• Like 1

Kirk is obviously mistaken

GNR hasnt really existed since 1991

Something that doesnt exist cant really be anything

(well, it actually existed for a few weeks in 1993 but that didnt last. by the way, thinking about 1993, does richard the guitar player enjoys motorbikes? skate maybe? sorry i digress...)

• Like 1

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I am glad that Guns decided on a reunion/nostalgia tour instead of deciding to jump right into writing music. Call me gun-shy if you will, but the last time Axl, Duff, and Slash tried to write music together everything went Kaboom and Slash and Axl couldn't even stand to hear each others names said for many of those years. I'd rather this nostalgia tour we are getting with the unfortunate chance we get no new music to the possibility of them trying to do new music first/right away and everything blowing up again and getting neither a tour nor new music.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly we will happily get both.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have ten masterpieces written in my house. I am therefore creative. It is up to you whether or not you believe me.

I don't think Axl doesn't release an album every couple of years cause he's not creative enough. Cause he doesn't have enough ideas. I think it's about having the ideas he feels are right for Guns, and then the right production, and release.

I think he aims too high for most fans. It takes a lot of time not because he's not talented enough or creative. It's more of he just wants it to be truly great is my guess. (and not stale or a rehash)

Edited by Rovim

13 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Kind of the Pot calling the Kettle black.

definitely this.

I get what Kirk is saying but its funny coming from a band that Is just now releasing an album after 8 years. and before that it was 5 years from St. Anger to Death Magnetic. 

I dont count Eps, garbage collab albums and lame ass movies in between as taking you off the nostalgia act list too. Like they were just an an endless tour cycle consisting of 90% setlist of old records to recover financially from the projects they put out that bombed, like the failed live dvd that ended up costing them millions

Hold up, a band that had its hey day 30 years ago, that for all intents and purposes died 23 years ago, getting together for a REUNION tour is a nostalgia act? What a hot take. No shit it's a nostalgia act. So is every band from that era and before still playing. Including Metallica. No one is going to shows to hear songs Metallica wrote in 2016, just like people aren't going to NITL shows to hear something GNR wrote this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I dont count...

Of course you do not. To make your own argument work, i.e. to exonerate Axl of all blame here, you have to shorten the goal posts and create your own rules, even if that means removing sizable chunks of the Metallica discography!

Axl fans are completely deluded. I cannot believe I'm seeing people describing a guy who has released one album within quarter of a century 'creative' and not a nostalgia artist!! Bands have had their entire career occur during the gaps between Rose's albums! You people are absolutely nuts!

47 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I'd take Axl anyday over Metallica, and I like their good albums. At least he cares about not repeating himself musically when it comes to Guns and that it actually doesn't fuck up the catalog like St. Anger did for Metallica.

Id take Axl any day over Metallica too. If Axl had only recorded one song in his life -- lets say, the raw pre-appetite demo recording of My Way, Your Way with Hollywood Rose -- that would be enough for me to like him better than the entire Metallica discography.

better then the entire universe discography actually

about fucking up the catalogue, i am not sure who did the worst job

i am afraid that chinese democracy is the biggest fuck up that one can do to a catalogue

you could say anything about GNR before the release of Chinese Democracy

you could say that they were disfunctional, stupid, egomaniacs, junkies, whatever

but they didnt have one bad song on their catalogue....

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course you do not. To make your own argument work, i.e. to exonerate Axl of all blame here, you have to shorten the goal posts and create your own rules, even if that means removing sizable chunks of the Metallica discography!

Axl fans are completely deluded. I cannot believe I'm seeing people describing a guy who has released one album within quarter of a century 'creative' and not a nostalgia artist!! Bands have had their entire career occur during the gaps between Rose's albums! You people are absolutely nuts!

Im not trying to defend shit, so you can cut the bullshit. Im saying Shit product doesnt exonerate a band from still being a nostalgia act. plain and simple. Metallica is a nostalgia act just like GNR are. 

when 90% of your setlists every night contain old shit, Thats a nostalgia act. 

Edited by NicDwolfwood

22 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

definitely this.

I get what Kirk is saying but its funny coming from a band that Is just now releasing an album after 8 years. and before that it was 5 years from St. Anger to Death Magnetic. 

I dont count Eps, garbage collab albums and lame ass movies in between as taking you off the nostalgia act list too. Like they were just an an endless tour cycle consisting of 90% setlist of old records to recover financially from the projects they put out that bombed, like the failed live dvd that ended up costing them millions

Okay, so Metallica isn't a really prolific band. They've still released far more stuff than GnR have.  And they have an album coming out now.

Meanwhile , GnR maybe have a bunch of outtakes from an album that sucked in the first place, and if they do Slash might add some guitar. Wow. Sounds exciting.

Just now, NicDwolfwood said:

Im not trying to defend shit, so you can cut the bullshit. Im saying Shit product doesnt exonerate a band from still being a nostalgia act. plain and simple. Metallica is a nostalgia act just like GNR are. 

You removed an EP from consideration. That EP - I assume you mean Beyond Magnetic - consisted of four original outtakes from their prior album. That is significantly altering the goalposts! Yes, Metallica released four more songs between 2008 (the release of one album) and 2016 (soon, a new album). It is the equivalent of Axl putting out a four song EP consisting ofm Atlas Shrugged and The General.

Removed! By you!

Just now, bigpoop said:

Okay, so Metallica isn't a really prolific band. They've still released far more stuff than GnR have.  And they have an album coming out now.

Meanwhile , GnR maybe have a bunch of outtakes from an album that sucked in the first place, and if they do Slash might add some guitar. Wow. Sounds exciting.

Im not denying GNR is a nostalgia act. That much is clear, when you're making a living out of 90% of your old shit, thats a nostalgia act. lots of bands do it.

But if you call someone out for doing the exact thing you make a living off of, its a little comical dont you think.?

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Like Axl never writes anything or doesn't have 9000 riffs in the vault. Writing ain't the same thing as releasing albums.

Axl is creative, he did record a lot of unreleased tunes, many sources claim.

if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it does it still make a sound?

• Like 1

I'm sorry kirk lost thousand of riffs and solos and now playing only the wah wah wah loop all over new 'tallica album,the nostalgia is when you try to play To Live Is To Die and you can't so you cut the solo.Kirk,shut your mouth before it's too late and get punched from Axl.Lars and Axl are friends,don't screw it up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

definitely this.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You removed an EP from consideration. That EP - I assume you mean Beyond Magnetic - consisted of four original outtakes from their prior album. That is significantly altering the goalposts! Yes, Metallica released four more songs between 2008 (the release of one album) and 2016 (soon, a new album). It is the equivalent of Axl putting out a four song EP consisting ofm Atlas Shrugged and The General.

Removed! By you!

I didnt remove shit.. you just were SHIT at reading what I said. I said because of this shit, it doesnt exonerate them from being a nostalgia act too. READ BEFORE YOU REPLY, OTHERWISE DONT REPLY

hahaha. Outtakes are sad attempts at making money off dumbass people. Outtakes are exactly that because they either werent good enough to be on the original record, or in this case some of those songs on the EP were better than some of the atrocious songs that ended up on DM. So they ended up looking shit because those probably should of replaced horrible songs on DM.

16 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You're doing the exact same thing man. Creating your own rules when it comes to Axl as an artist, not being able to be objective, totally ignoring the explanation I've given you on what "creative" meant in the context of what we were discussing.

It's a cheap tactic. Another one you know... grouping all "Axl fans" together. I'm not deluded, I just think there's a difference between being creative and being productive. The fact Axl has released one album in 25 years doesn't preclude him from being creative.

• Like 1