Art

Eric Cantona

My two favourites,

Hogarth, a satirist on English society. March of the Guards to Finchley, (1750),

800px-William_Hogarth_007.jpg

NB the drunks and prostitutes. This is supposed to be the ordered ranks of an elite royal regiment of the army on its way to crush the rebellious Scots, yet it is chaos!

Our glorious judiciary,

download=210614-Hogarth_The-Bench.jpg

A Rake's Progress,

William_Hogarth_026.jpg

Goya

El Tres De Mayo, the massacre of Spanish by French troops. NB The Spaniard's Christ like pose and white garment creates an angelic aura when contrasted with the mechanical ranks of Napoleon's soldiers.

800px-El_Tres_de_Mayo%2C_by_Francisco_de

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I love the late Thomas Kincade's work. All his beautiful winter homes look so inviting. I wish I could transport myself into his paintings. I got one of his smaller paintings on ebay and it's just so beautiful. I usually get his calendar every year. His pictures just calm me. I love them.

I know. His Christmas cards make me teary eyed.

When I was 13 we took a school excursion to the Groninger Museum. A modern art museum here in the Netherlands. Suffering through things that were supposedly modern art, such as a pile of bonnets, was very boring. At the time there was also a rather controversial exposition. So after hearing our teacher explain for roughly 10 minutes how it was art that there was a picture of a woman peeing in a man's mouth, 13 year old me stopped believing in art. 

I can appreciate all art in one aspect or another. Art in the home is always an interesting thing- because it's what people buy once they have everything else.

My mum had a poster of this framed when I was little. I forgot about it, but I feel it says a lot about the person she was when she was younger. 

IMG_2954.JPG

4 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I can appreciate all art in one aspect or another.

I can't. I generally go by the "if I can't do it it might be art" philosophy. The missus has had to remove me from more than one exhibition by force before today. Went to the Tate Modern in Liverpool last year and it didn't end well. :lol: