I wonder if being on the road again at this scale is challenging to Slash and Duff staying clean.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Axl still drinks, but I doubt they hang out much after the concerts.

It's not like they can't be around people who drink anymore... Duff even mentioned in his book that they have alcohol at his house for when guests come over. He just can't drink it himself anymore.

• Like 2

Hate to break it to you bub, but I'm about to burst that small bubble surrounding your brain...

Slash has been touring his whole life, and he's spent the better part of this last decade clean, sober and a NON Smoker, there is nothing different about now, he's been touring non stop every year. Slash has Twitter &Facebook and a lot going on for him to keep him busy. He's a family man despite his divorce. He has a production company , he has a lot of things at stake business wise and he is at a point in his life where all the stars have aligned. In short life hasn't gotten too shitty for him to revert back into that lifestyle.

Same with Duff, he's got a level head on his shoulders, business decisions that ride on him, a loving family and two great daughters and a beautiful wife. He's really got it figured out right now and the fact they have both done a lot to get clean speaks volumes. 

Truth is, Axl is probably the hardest party'er out of the whole band nowadays, very different than 25 years ago.

• Like 1

If they both have a program & stay connected with other people who had similar experiences in the same way they did before the tour, then no, there is little chance. If they were doing these things, then started not doing them on tour, then yes, chances start increasing.

Continued long term sobriety has very little to do with external circumstances or situations, it is entirely internal. "If the inside is right, the outside cant be wrong" regardless of circumstance in your external world. "If the inside is wrong, the outside cant be right" even if your external world seems perfect.

They have both been sober a long time & have a huge amount of experience between them about what works & what doesn't. I'm quite sure they will be fine. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 4:41 AM, jonah said:

With games like Pokemon go and candy crush who has time to get high. But seriously with today's technology it's easier to entertain yourself so you don't need to rely on booze/drugs to pass the time 

Lol.  Has nothing to do with "passing time."  Sure, staying busy helps, but addicts use to make everyday situations seem better. That's how it starts at least. And it's easy for an addict to trick himself that he can get away with "doing it one more time"

but they already left it and hopefully they can leave it behind..

OP, good point

Duff and Slash had said they did drugs n booze bikoz Axl was late

they did VR and ... did booze and drugs

but then again, I think they bottomed up a long time ago and there is nothing out there ever worth getting fukked up for anymore. Especially that they tour with their families and are not a band. I believe they do their own family business all day long, step onto the stage, do a gig, bow down, a quick hug to celebare a new incoming cheque, and outta there on separate family rides.

so, I guess no temptations for either Slash nor Duff.

as much as I get it, Richard is a recovering addict too.

I guess Axl still drinks, and so does Dizzy. Frank collects wines.

and on yeah, that crazy chick Mellisa is "jacked up on sugar". Man. She's something else. Two snickers a day. She's carrying the torch.

7 minutes ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

To the point it may end you? 

Wiite possibly. I often think maybe Ibshouldn't leave so much booze in the house cos if I die it look like im a complete alco. Closed casket? I think so. Nobody will want to see my bloated body at the funeral. He loved drimking ...and two pizzas. Im not Prince I have not other attributes to distract you from he boozed a lot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whatashame said:

OP, good point

Duff and Slash had said they did drugs n booze bikoz Axl was late

they did VR and ... did booze and drugs

but then again, I think they bottomed up a long time ago and there is nothing out there ever worth getting fukked up for anymore. Especially that they tour with their families and are not a band. I believe they do their own family business all day long, step onto the stage, do a gig, bow down, a quick hug to celebare a new incoming cheque, and outta there on separate family rides.

so, I guess no temptations for either Slash nor Duff.

as much as I get it, Richard is a recovering addict too.

I guess Axl still drinks, and so does Dizzy. Frank collects wines.

and on yeah, that crazy chick Mellisa is "jacked up on sugar". Man. She's something else. Two snickers a day. She's carrying the torch.

Am I that misinformed? To my knowledge Duff was clean in the VR days. Slash had a habbit of some medicaments that he purchased by recipe somehow but wasn't on booze or heavy drugs.

I may be wrong

14 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Am I that misinformed? To my knowledge Duff was clean in the VR days. Slash had a habbit of some medicaments that he purchased by recipe somehow but wasn't on booze or heavy drugs.

I may be wrong

Both Slash & Duff mention falling off the wagon during the VR days in their books. Matt also had a rehab stint during VR. The only one in the band that remained sober in VR was Dave Kushner.

It's always a possibility that they can relapse again. Addicts are addicts for life. It doesn't matter if they're sober for 5, 10, or 20+ years there is always a chance of relapse. It all just depends on what their triggers are. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a perfect example of that. He was sober for 23 years before relapsing and ultimately losing his battle with his addictions.

I really hope that they can maintain their sobriety but who knows. :shrugs:

• Like 2

Duff is pretty resilient I think. Slash had his ups and downs he was shooting oxy as late as 2006 or something. You never know, but I think it's fine. When Slash is fucked up you can kinda tell, his playing reflects that. At least it did with VR when he was off the wagon.

Should really not do it anymore with what his heart endured and all. Don't think he's gonna live to be 90 anyway which of course fuckin' blows. I hope Axl will hire the right people to clone Slash in a secret lab soon.

8 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Both Slash & Duff mention falling off the wagon during the VR days in their books. Matt also had a rehab stint during VR. The only one in the band that remained sober in VR was Dave Kushner.

It's always a possibility that they can relapse again. Addicts are addicts for life. It doesn't matter if they're sober for 5, 10, or 20+ years there is always a chance of relapse. It all just depends on what their triggers are. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a perfect example of that. He was sober for 23 years before relapsing and ultimately losing his battle with his addictions.

I really hope that they can maintain their sobriety but who knows. :shrugs:

"Triggers" is a rubbish rehab word. Recovery is not about "every day is a struggle" "I need to watch my triggers". Relapse is always a possibility, but it is exactly that, a relapse back into active addiction. someone with long term sobriety doesn't just get triggered one day & use again, I watch it happen from time to time & it is more often than not a gradual move away from doing the things they need to do to stay well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Good, Fuck'n, Night. said:

"Triggers" is a rubbish rehab word. Recovery is not about "every day is a struggle" "I need to watch my triggers". Relapse is always a possibility, but it is exactly that, a relapse back into active addiction. someone with long term sobriety doesn't just get triggered one day & use again, I watch it happen from time to time & it is more often than not a gradual move away from doing the things they need to do to stay well. 

I hate the word triggers too because you have every emo turd on Instagram using it but really what else can you call it? lol I wasn't trying to say that it's a quick moment that sets them off and then boom they are relapsed. I meant whatever their issues are if they start having similar problems they can relapse. A lot of the people in this thread were acting like if you had a few years of sobriety under your belt it's no longer possible and that's just not the case for most people with addiction issues.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 1:53 PM, SlashElvisTCB said:

Hate to break it to you bub, but I'm about to burst that small bubble surrounding your brain...

Slash has been touring his whole life, and he's spent the better part of this last decade clean, sober and a NON Smoker, there is nothing different about now, he's been touring non stop every year. Slash has Twitter &Facebook and a lot going on for him to keep him busy. He's a family man despite his divorce. He has a production company , he has a lot of things at stake business wise and he is at a point in his life where all the stars have aligned. In short life hasn't gotten too shitty for him to revert back into that lifestyle.

Same with Duff, he's got a level head on his shoulders, business decisions that ride on him, a loving family and two great daughters and a beautiful wife. He's really got it figured out right now and the fact they have both done a lot to get clean speaks volumes. 

Truth is, Axl is probably the hardest party'er out of the whole band nowadays, very different than 25 years ago.

yes

axl is the guy that is off the rails but somehow is performing good enough is on time lol

4 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

I hate the word triggers too because you have every emo turd on Instagram using it but really what else can you call it? lol I wasn't trying to say that it's a quick moment that sets them off and then boom they are relapsed. I meant whatever their issues are if they start having similar problems they can relapse. A lot of the people in this thread were acting like if you had a few years of sobriety under your belt it's no longer possible and that's just not the case for most people with addiction issues.

I wasn't trying to have a go at you personally, probably a bit of "lost in translation" there. Way I see it is...When you are new to sobriety you certainly need to be mindful of people, places or situations that could be considered risky, but this is because you are still very much unwell & new to sobriety. As you learn to live your life in a totally different way, doing the things required to maintain your sobriety on a daily basis, the same risky situations are no longer an issue. But if you chose to stop doing the things that keep you well, (regardless of length of sobriety as you said), you will slowly relapse back into the state of mind that will tell you its ok to drink or use again. Something may well happen that could be said eventually "triggered" the user & it would look like that is what made them pick up to someone who doesn't understand alcoholism or addiction, but the relapse started long before picking up,  using again was only a matter of time, not if. I have spoken to plenty of people who have used after long term sobriety, the stories are always the same in essence. 

Edited by Good, Fuck'n, Night.
  • Like 1

The world is a different place in a lot of ways. 

1 being totally wrecked is not as entertaining anymore, everything is Hd no way to cover up things. 

2 I think they all understand what they mean to, their families, friends, fans, and themselves as a very talented group 

I think listening to them these days is so great, they arent all wrecked and hardly can play their own music properly 

While we aren't them and can't say what they are, or are not thinking or doing, judging by what we see of them on tour, in interviews, on social media etc. we could surmise they've filled the void drugs and drink used to with family and sober pursuits. Addicts don't stop being addicts just because they stop using and these guys surely have the resources to help them keep making good decisions. As an outsider looking in I'd say they no longer WANT to be drug addled fools. Life has a funny way of changing your perspective over time. 

Whatever they think, day in and day out, here's hoping that all the GnR members, past and present, continue with happy and healthy lives and new music in 2017!

• Like 3