setlist for 2017

2 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I expect the setlist to remain the same pretty much. They'll probably change up the order and rotate a few songs in and out of the set. 

Locomotive is a pipe dream. Song is way too difficult to sing, much more so than Coma. The couple times Axl sang it back during the Illusions tour, he was shredding his voice.

You mean like Axl shredded his voice when he sang Coma in the Illusions days? it is not a pipe dream. Axl did Coma cause he thought Slash will be pleased. Locomotive is not harder to sing than Coma or some AC/DC tunes.

Totally a possibility.

• Like 1

Just now, Rovim said:

You mean like Axl shredded his voice when he sang Coma in the Illusions days? it is not a pipe dream. Axl did Coma cause he thought Slash will be pleased. Locomotive is not harder to sing than Coma or some AC/DC tunes.

Totally a possibility.

I am certain Axl sounding bad on the 1991 live versions of Locomotive had to do with him having throat problems. It will kick ass live I am sure

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Totally a possibility.

Axl didnt shred shit. He played the song live all of FOUR times during the Illusions days. And every performance ive heard of that song from back in the day, It sounded fine whereas locomotive sounded like he was putting his vocals through hell.

Coma's toughest section is the ending bit. Locomotive is a much faster song throughout in comparison to Coma with less breathing room and with a high amount of rasp. Its probably 2nd toughest song in the catalog behind Dont Damn Me, imo anyways. and yeah, lets not pretend that he nails Coma every single time either. He has his nights where that ending bit a is major struggle for him. 

AC/DC songs are a whole other story. He sought coaching for that to make sure he did the tunes justice, but also to prevent shredding his vocals. 

Dont misunderstand, Id like to see it brought out. But I dont think it will, for said reasons and because like you said, Coma was a brought out to please Slash. Coma is his Baby, and its a song he's spoken of fondly in the past and mentioned its one of his proudest works on Guitar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Axl didnt shred shit. He played the song live all of FOUR times during the Illusions days. And every performance ive heard of that song from back in the day, It sounded fine whereas locomotive sounded like he was putting his vocals through hell.

Coma's toughest section is the ending bit. Locomotive is a much faster song throughout in comparison to Coma with less breathing room and with a high amount of rasp. Its probably 2nd toughest song in the catalog behind Dont Damn Me, imo anyways. and yeah, lets not pretend that he nails Coma every single time either. He has his nights where that ending bit a is major struggle for him. 

AC/DC songs are a whole other story. He sought coaching for that to make sure he did the tunes justice, but also to prevent shredding his vocals. 

Dont misunderstand, Id like to see it brought out. But I dont think it will, for said reasons and because like you said, Coma was a brought out to please Slash. Coma is his Baby, and its a song he's spoken of fondly in the past and mentioned its one of his proudest works on Guitar.

And Locomotive is not a song Slash is proud of? some AC/DC tunes have entire sections with no time to breath at all. I think Axl can pull it off. You Could Be Mine's fastest section is just as fast compared to Locomotive. Didn't say he nailed Coma everytime. No one is pretending.

But Axl is still performing it. I didn't say it will be perfect, just that it's possible they'll bring it back. Far from a pipe dream yeah? never say never.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

And Locomotive is not a song Slash is proud of? some AC/DC tunes have entire sections with no time to breath at all. I think Axl can pull it off. You Could Be Mine's fastest section is just as fast compared to Locomotive. Didn't say he nailed Coma everytime. No one is pretending.

But Axl is still performing it. I didn't say it will be perfect, just that it's possible they'll bring it back. Far from a pipe dream yeah? never say never.

Never said it wasnt. But that song has never been mentioned with the same reverance as Coma has by Slash. Im sure Slash is proud of all his guitar work throughout his career. 

We'll see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Never said it wasnt. But that song has never been mentioned with the same reverance as Coma has by Slash. Im sure Slash is proud of all his guitar work throughout his career. 

We'll see what happens. 

He doesn't have to mention it with the same reverence or even like it as much as Coma or what he considers his best shit in order to play it. Wicked Stone sounds like Locomotive, at least some aspects of it, especially the riff and it's rhythm. It's not impossible for Axl to sing and it's not impossible for them to bring it back. Not saying they will do it, but they wanted to do it in Paris 1992 with Jeff Beck and never got the chance.

It could happen.

Edited by Rovim

with every Gnr tour with slash-axl-duff there always jam sessions put into songs as the tour goes on - would love to see them do about a 10 minute blues jam -like they always did back in the illusion and afd days 

7 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

I would probably go nuts if they play LOCOMOTIVE. I wonder how many % of the crowds know it though? Maybe 20% more or less or am I underestimating the casual fans?

I bet just as many people know it than COMA. And more people probably know it than the CD songs.

• Like 1

You would think that GnR would do a fairly legit shakeup to the set list when they come back through the states again. They will be playing my state twice within a 12-month period. 

GnR can still play the classics and mix things up a bit. 

Three new songs written by current band. 2 song rotation  

IRS, Street of Dreams, Perfect Crime, I Think About You, Locomotive, Yesterdays. 2 song rotation  

General. Atlas. Soulmonster. Thyme. Crash Diet. Just Another Sunday. 2 song rotation.

Still play the 20 classics - jungle, nov rain, SCOM, etc  

Then from the above list of 15 songs just rotate them through the set list. 

Gnr is going to play two cities in my state in 2017. If show #1 featured five of those songs and #2 featured 5 different ones.....I would pay $300 to go see both those shows. 

But if they are playing the same set list as they did this year - I won't be attending either show.

2 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

with every Gnr tour with slash-axl-duff there always jam sessions put into songs as the tour goes on - would love to see them do about a 10 minute blues jam -like they always did back in the illusion and afd days 

Bookend it with Heavens Door and whatever song Duff is singing. Beer and concession sales would increase by 27% every show. 

• Think About You, Anything Goes, You're Crazy
  • Nice Boys, Mama Kin, Move To The City
  • Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime, The Garden
  • Locomotive, Pretty Tied Up, Breakdown
  • Down on the Farm, Since I Don't Have You,  Ain't It Fun
  • Prostitute, Street Of Dreams, I.R.S.
  • The General, Atlas Shrugged, Soul Monster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

It won't change, don't kid yourselves.

To be fair, we just don't know. I didn't think Coma, 14 years, Yesterdays and other tunes would be brought back. They're not gonna release anything new anytime soon. Getting back to the catalog and busting out old tunes is a good way of making it feel less stale. Makes a lot of sense. (and new covers and solo spots)

Edited by Rovim