Is Guns N' Roses your favorite band?

Is Guns N' Roses your favorite band?  

218 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GNR is my favourite and the band I'm probably the 'nerdiest' about, in that I really enjoy reading their story, past interviews, certain gigs, etc. That 10-12 year period from 1985 to the breakup of the original band is, to me, really fascinating. Maybe because it was such a short period it makes me want to digest more minute details than other bands, not sure. Even the clusterfuck history of Chinese makes for entertaining - and sad - reading.

When I was younger it was AC/DC which topped the list and they are still high, along with the Stones and Bruce Springsteen to name a few, but Guns tops my list.

• Like 1

I´m really into a lot of bands besides  GnR. Metallica, Motörhead, Queen, AC/DC, Stones just to name a few. Not only Rock/ Heavy. Even like some HipHop-Stuff, especially from the 80s and 90s, NWA, Snoop ...

But at the end of the day, GnR is the only band (AC/DC comes close) where I know everything about, saw everylittle piece of video on youtube, read every magazine and book and listened to every CD at least a hundred thousand times :headbang:

Saw them live in 1993 in Karlsruhe and will never forget this hot summer day in June. It was the best concert of my life. Also have tickets for next year and I´m very excited about that.

GnR from 85 - 94 was in my opinion the best that RnR is able to deliver and we will never ever see anything like that again. :izzy:

Guns is my favorite band.

I won't deny there are bigger bands as Guns, but I couldn't care less. I don't know a single song by The Beatles that I like for example.

That said, of course I love other bands too.

Sabbath, Purple, ACDC, Stones, Rory Gallagher, Ten Years After, Free, CCR, Stooges, Snakepit and many more.

There are times I may haven't listen to Guns in a year and still I considered them my favorite band.

Simply because their music touched me in the right way, I don't know.

I know objectively there are bands or artists with "better" music. But to me there is nothing over Guns. That guitar sound, that style, that vocals, that anger.

No other band interested me that much that I have to be informed in everything they do, everything they release or everything anybody else release about them.

Simply as that.

Guns were my first big love in my youth. Then, when it started becoming a joke around the year 2000 I started realizing I shouldn't exclusively live in the past as there were great other bands around. And that's when I discovered my second big love, Queens of the stone age.

I don't know if they are my favorite band (and when I talk about GnR I mean, Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven. I can tolerate Matt Sorum too, OK) but they are the band of my life, they're special to me cause even though I grew up listening to rock/ hard rock at home since my mom was a fan of bands like Europe, Whitesnake, Van Halen and that stuff, Guns was the first band I discovered for myself when I was 11 and watched their WTTJ video on MTV. I was blown away. AFD was the first CD I bought myself too. I started to play guitar cause I wanted to be as cool as that mysterious looking guy in those silly banana pants :lol: (sorry Slash xD) but I could never watch them live back then cause I was too young and had no money. So, next June I'm gonna see 3/5 parts of them live and I'm gonna freak out but I'm also gonna be sad cause it's not gonna be the same. Anyway, there are a couple of bands I love almost as much, the Rolling Stones and Black Sabbath above all.

• Like 1

Duh :awesomeface: To me Guns N' Roses stand alone at the very top.

I like so many bands though, I thought it would be fun to try to categorize them. There's so many honorable mentions remaining but the essence is here.

Tier I
Guns N' Roses

Tier II
Pink Floyd

Tier III
Queen
Nine Inch Nails
Oasis
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones

Tier IV
Michael Jackson
The Doors
Marilyn Manson
The Eagles
Alice Cooper
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
The Kinks

Tier V
Elton John
Aerosmith 
Alan Parsons Project
Bee Gees
Billy Joel
Cheap Trick
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Buckethead
Electric Light Orchestra
Tom Petty & the Heatbreakers
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Frank Zappa
Judas Priest
Nazareth
Slade
T. Rex

Tier VI
Velvet Revolver
Fleetwood Mac
The Cult
AC/DC
Beady Eye
Van Halen
Bob Dylan
Sweet
Bob Marely
Cat Stevens
Bon Jovi
Bruce springsteen
Bryan Adams
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
Depeche Mode
Eric Clapton 
Europe
INXS
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
Grateful Dead
Izzy Stradlin
Kiss
Lenny Kravitz
Joy Division
Leonard Cohen
Moby
Mötley Crue
Poison
The Verve
Thin Lizzy
White Lion 
Whitesnike
Nirvana
Noel Gallagher
Prodigy
The Police
The Pretenders
R.E.M
Rammstein
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Poison
Slash's Snakepit
The Stone Roses
Velvet Underground
Thin Lizzy
White Lion 
Whitesnike
The Who

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

I may not listen to Guns everyday like i did from age 14-18, but no band has had an impact on me like Guns have. They opened me up to rock music in general and for a few years i was  so obsessed with guns it was surreal. In particular ive had a really strong connection with Axl, when i first watched clips of him on youtube i was mesmerised by his charisma and presence, without the doubt the greatest frontman ever in my eyes. I could write on essay about how much guns mean to me but thats gay lol. Can't fucking wait to see them together for the first time in the summer. 

And even though metal is my music of choice now nobody will ever touch guns. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just cannot get interested in them. It is just about money now. They are not even a proper band.

This. Unfortunately there are just too many great artists out their doing too many great things. Hard to care about GNR now that they're just a performance group, and not creating anything. They never really captivated me with side projects either. Contraband was the closest any of the members got to being interesting outside of GNR. And GNR hasn't been interesting since Illusions.

To be fair they will always hold a special place in my heart in the "rock n roll" genre. But I've mostly grown out of them, minus the occasional spin of AFD or Lies

On 12/26/2016 at 10:49 AM, Tom-Ass said:

If the classic lineup was able to stay in tact longer I would say yes.  They just didn't have enough material. Even so, it is a tough call because I love what they did do so much.  I just ordered that "uncut" Ritz show and watched it last night.  Mixed emotions about the current line up. It is amazing to see Axl, Slash and Duff up there.  But the other half of the band is a joke. Excluding Dizzy.

Let me add to that.  At one time Gn'R were easily my favorite band.. For a long time I was obsessed and still am to a point.  They just fell down the list again because of the lack of material.. I tend to hold bands like The Stones, Sabbath and Aerosmith with higher regard due to their longevity. But I am hands down more passionate about Gn'R than any other band. The excitement leading up to Vegas this year was like nothing I have experienced for a long time. I was like a giddy high school kid for months. It all came crashing down when they line up was revealed at the Troubador but what can you do?   I still hope and want this band to kick ass. I want them to be the best they can be.  That's why this lineup kills me. I just know they could be so much better. Guns 87-93 are unmatched by almost anyone in my eyes. For the younger fans out there, I just don't think you can really grasp how huge and intense Guns were,  I would kill to see some more officially released footage from those days. All we have is the one ridiculous Tokyo show.. Axl's costumes make it a tough watch. 

• Like 2

No and not really that close.They were one of favorite bands in late 80's,early 90's when they actually put out some new music.The last 20 plus years I feel like have been a waste to some extent .More what could've been then what was/is.It was cool to see them live a couple more times recently brought back some good memories and they sounded good and shows were excellent but I don't think I'll go see them again unless they have new material to play.Too many other great bands still putting out new music that I enjoy and that have a much more impressive discography 

• Like 1

Guns N' Roses tops my list easily.Don't Cry was the first song I heard from GNR,and even if I didn't understand shit 'cause I was 9, I fell in love with it.Then my sister bought me "Lies",and "Welcome To The Videos" as birthday presents..It was the first band to discover,so I guess no one will ever overcome them.

Other bands I love :Nirvana,Placebo,Pearl Jam,Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin,Queen,AC/DC,Madrugada,RHCP

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaxTeller said:

Guns N' Roses tops my list easily.Don't Cry was the first song I heard from GNR,and even if I didn't understand shit 'cause I was 9, I fell in love with it.Then my sister bought me "Lies",and "Welcome To The Videos" as birthday presents..It was the first band to discover,so I guess no one will ever overcome them.

Other bands I love :Nirvana,Placebo,Pearl Jam,Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin,Queen,AC/DC,Madrugada,RHCP

What did the 10-year old you think of One in a Million?

Favourite band by a long shot, Axl my fav singer/frontman by a mile & Slash my fav guitarist easily. That said, I listen to a lot of other bands now more than Guns. Mostly because of their lack of new music and limited back catalogue. Which is a f*cking shame...  (understatement of the century)

• Like 1