"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

17 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Who was perversely also of some Jewish extraction!

He was probably an Austrian fascist, a supporter of the Fatherland Front (VF) which was more aligned with Italian fascism in that it was not really antisemitic, more Catholic and opposed to Anschluss. Austrian fascists and Austrian Nazis were basically rivals. 

On 17/02/2018 at 8:34 PM, DieselDaisy said:

He was probably an Austrian fascist, a supporter of the Fatherland Front (VF) which was more aligned with Italian fascism in that it was not really antisemitic, more Catholic and opposed to Anschluss. Austrian fascists and Austrian Nazis were basically rivals. 

Y'know what I read once, Bugsy Siegel I think it was, stayed in the same hotel as Goebbels...and planned to kill him when he found this out but didn't in the end for whatever reason.  Wonder what direction history would've taken had he pulled it off.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Y'know what I read once, Bugsy Siegel I think it was, stayed in the same hotel as Goebbels...and planned to kill him when he found this out but didn't in the end for whatever reason.  Wonder what direction history would've taken had he pulled it off.

It would have certainly saved us from some stodgy propaganda epics. 

David and Goliath (1960)
Another one of the cheapo Italian ones (Italy were also producing a lot of these Old Testament films during the 1960s). It features a perpetually constipated looking Orson Welles as King Saul. Alright I suppose. 2.5/5

Solomon and Sheba (1959)
It certainly has all the correct ingredients of an Old Testament Hollywood epic,

- Glorious locations in Technicolour-CinemaScope 
- Big battles
- English thespians speaking the Queen's (and why wouldn't the Egyptian Pharaoh of 1000 BC be an English public school twit?)
- Unbelievably beautiful actresses of foreign extraction (here, Gina Lollobrigida) played oriental temptresses. These films are very misogynist I should add, women being generally divided between exotic lavishly/racily attired temptresses like Nefretiri, Delilah and Sheba, or submissive perpetually hooded Hebrew women. 
- a plot centred around a Hebraic struggle between submissive-devout monotheism (the worship of Jehovah) and the persuasive influence of debauched polytheism (the worship of ''false Idols''), the latter providing the obligatory ''orgy'' scenes replete with banquets, gyrating bodies, eastern music and pantomime ''types'' (e.g. fire eaters and dwarfs).

It even has two suitably ''Biblical epic actors'' in Yul Brynner (Ten Commandments) and George Sanders (Samson and Delilah). 

It isn't one of the superior examples of the genre but it floats along well enough. 3.5/5

PS

There is a danger in these films that ''idol worship'' looks far more exciting, titillating, than the dowdy judicial faith of the Israelites; remember that this was about as racy as films were to Hays Codified Hollywood. That Pagan ''love festival'' featuring a belly-dancing Lollobrigida certainly looks like a religion I could follow. 

• Haha 1

Currently watching a documentary called "Easy To Learn, Hard To Master - The Story of Atari" 

I've heard all this stuff a million times, but I always like watching these types of things for some reason. The narrator makes it almost unwatchable but the rest of it is good. 

Three Old Testament Z-Movies, none of which are particularly good,

Sins of Jezebel (1953 )

Cheap looking beyond repair I‘m afraid, whose only redeeming quality is Paulette Goddard‘s Jezebel.

Slaves of Babylon (1953)

Esther and the King (1960)

Joan Collins as Esther. Probably the best (of a bad bunch). 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Annihilation (2018)

Trippy, sublime, cryptic. It's pretty similar to Denis Villenvue's Arrival, only it isn't a major downer.

It's the kind of film that's hard to believe made it through the studio system. The trailers try to play up the action but there's almost no action to be had. Instead, it is an exercise in surrealistic pathos.

go see it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Annihilation (2018)

Trippy, sublime, cryptic. It's pretty similar to Denis Villenvue's Arrival, only it isn't a major downer.

It's the kind of film that's hard to believe made it through the studio system. The trailers try to play up the action but there's almost no action to be had. Instead, it is an exercise in surrealistic pathos.

go see it.

Agreed. It’s truly stunning.

10 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Annihilation (2018)

go see it.

The studio system?!?

American Satan

This movie had every sex drug and rock and roll shit every done by a rock band, except maybe selling your soul to the devil to make it big. What a waste of money!

I give it a 2 our of 3 stars. Even Andy from Black Veil Brides having make believe sex couldn't save this movie.

Open Water 3. another suck. I give it a: Sharks 5 people 0! lol

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Len Cnut said:

Come Fill the Cup (1951) - James Cagney

James Cagney was my mom's favorite actors. She's seen every movie he was in. She and my poppy would watch them together. Good memories for her.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, J Dog said:

Brawl In Cell Block 99. Thumbs up

Clue. Classic

Posse. Mario Van Peebles, Tone Loc, Big Daddy Kane, Tiny "Zeus" Lister, as cowboys. Fuck yeah thumbs up.

Clue such a great movie. My daughter loves it too. Never tire of watching this movie. My mom loves it too. We bought the dvd and never miss a chance to watch it. So many great actors in it.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, James Bond said:

Sabrina (1954)

Fun fact: Cary Grant was the first choice to play the part that went to Bogart. Bogart's age difference was worked into the script (in part) but nevertheless Bogart went through the filming feeling quite unhappy and that he had been miscast.

Way better than the remake with Harrison Ford. Hollywood stop making remakes that suck. You can't replace amazing actors like Bogart and Grant.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, Len Cnut said:

The studio system?!?

I saw Arrival. thought it was kind of slow, but liked the twist ending.

It looks good, but I'll probably wait for it to be on cable.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

American Satan

This movie had every sex drug and rock and roll shit every done by a rock band, except maybe selling your soul to the devil to make it big. What a waste of money!

I give it a 2 our of 3 stars. Even Andy from Black Veil Brides having make believe sex couldn't save this movie.

Open Water 3. another suck. I give it a: Sharks 5 people 0! lol

James Cagney was my mom's favorite actors. She's seen every movie he was in. She and my poppy would watch them together. Good memories for her.

Clue such a great movie. My daughter loves it too. Never tire of watching this movie. My mom loves it too. We bought the dvd and never miss a chance to watch it. So many great actors in it.

Tell em I said they got good fuckin taste, Jimmy Cagney is one of my all time favourites, seen 99% of the movies he made.