British Politics

Gracii Guns

32 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Again, could someone please post some sources related to Wallis' NS sympathy as being part of the reasoning/discussions among the players involved. I'm not saying it's not true and am entirely open minded on the subject, but I'd like to see some evidence.

Just check the Wikipedia page that's where I found it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I think what people are leaving out is not if they loved Hitler or didn't love Hitler. Maybe these people just didn't want another war, having memories of how badly the last one went. Over 80% of the US population wanted nothing to do with another European war. That doesn't mean they all loved Hitler, it just means they didn't want war!

Again not saying that's the case, but that was a popular thought at the time that may have been shared by some of these Royals and elites in society.

Up until March 1939, you could quite easily say that, ''all Hitler had done was unite Germans who wanted to be united anyway''! Some pro-German feeling was affiliated with anti-French feeling which is more traditional to the English psyche, and the feeling that England had allowed the French to deal with the Germans too robustly at Versailles. Fascism was also admired in certain circles as being a force of modernity, strength and national renewal, as well as being a bulwark against communism which was loathed by the upper classes. Slightly paraphrasing here, but Hitler had removed the governmental paralysis which dominated the Weimer Republic. Hitler had curbed the endemic street violence which proliferated in Weimer (including reigning-in his own SA ruffians). Hitler had solved unemployment by state created enterprises such as the famous Autobahnen. In August, the very same year as Britain's monarchical crisis, Berlin would host the Olympics, showcasing the ''new Germany'' to the international community (and for that reason, antisemitism had been momentarily stopped). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Another way to look at this is if Simpson was not a divorcee and regularly unfurled a swastika whilst singing the Horst-Wesse Liedl, she'd have become Queen-Consort and Edward VIII wouldn't have abdicated.

If Simpson, twice divorcee (as in reality), was an outspoken critic of Germany and/or Nazism, the Abdication Crisis would have still occurred with the same result: the abdication of Edward VIII.

Exactly and as  people same time is a flat circle history repeats itself(with different circumstances). But the good thing is that Harry is not the heir and I believe everyone will eventually move on 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A Wittelsbach more specifically. The Stuart line passed firstly to the House of Savoy, then Habsburg-Lorraine before finally resting on the Wittelsbach, the former ruling family of Bavaria. 

Are the Windsors still descended from the Normans? I know that each new family is descended from some way shape or form from the previous one. Asking because you seem to really be knowledgable on this stuff:)

11 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Are the Windsors still descended from the Normans? I know that each new family is descended from some way shape or form from the previous one. Asking because you seem to really be knowledgable on this stuff:)

Yes, and earlier. You can trace their lineage back to the pre-Norman Anglo-Saxon House of Wessex, Alfred the Great and Cedric and so forth, since William Duke of Normandy/the Conqueror was related to the House of Wessex through his matrilineal line. Elizabeth II is related to probably every royal dynasty Europe has ever possessed, and then some as she has Asiatic ancestry - possibly Chinese. There is a slightly elongated-archaic possibility that she is a descendant of Muhammad, through the Moorish Kings who ruled Spain until 1492 and conducted marriages with the Christians! 

There is a slightly elongated-archaic possibility that she is a descendant of Muhammad, through the Moorish Kings who ruled Spain until 1492 and conducted marriages with the Christians! 

I learnt that from Til Death Us Do Part when Mike the scouse son in law is reading the royal lineage book belonging to Alf:

'ere, Mohommed, 'e's one of yer coons, ain't he?' *cue rauccous laughter* :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

Thing is, and this is probably not going to sound politically correct, with this Megan business it is that, ''she is black...a black woman'' etc etc., and that the royal family/media/country ''is racist'' because ''she is black''. And Megan Markel declaims herself, ''I'm a black woman''.

She isn't exactly Grace Jones haha. 

Imagine if Harry married a genuine black woman. In fact imagine if he was Snakepit haha. He liked the twerking. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Thing is, and this is probably not going to sound politically correct, with this Megan business it is that, ''she is black...a black woman'' etc etc., and that the royal family/media/country ''is racist'' because ''she is black''. And Megan Markel declaims herself, ''I'm a black woman''.

Imagine if Harry married a genuine black woman. In fact imagine if he was Snakepit haha. He liked the twerking. 

Yeah, she’s black in the same way that Church of England are Christians. 

Its a sociological curiosity I've always thought.  Like inverted one drop theory, like back in the day if you had ANY drop of black blood in you, half caste or whatever, then you were considered black and as such subject to a degree of prejudice as a result.  I guess you just pick a side.  Take someone like Slash, he's never really made himself out to be black.  Or white particularly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its a sociological curiosity I've always thought.  Like inverted one drop theory, like back in the day if you had ANY drop of black blood in you, half caste or whatever, then you were considered black and as such subject to a degree of prejudice as a result.  I guess you just pick a side.  Take someone like Slash, he's never really made himself out to be black.  Or white particularly. 

She is as white as she is black, yet you never hear her say, ''I'm a white woman''.

4 hours ago, Padme said:

I did. I posted an article. Just read it dude

That actually wasn't the argument though. The argument was over whether the influential people at the time who were discussing this were placing pressure on Edward to abdicate based on NS sympathies. I still haven't seen any evidence that was part of the discussion.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

How'd you work that one out?

To be "white" was a privelege for those pure of blood. If your skin wasn't white enough, indicating a black ancestor, you weren't allowed to refer to yourself as white. At best you now belonged to the "mixed races" but more likely you were considered "black". An aspect of racism. To be "white" was an exclusive thing and some contamination of the blood, even if it happened generations ago, was disqualifying if it manifested itself in anything but purely white skin. 

This system seems to be in effect today as well. How many of visually mixed ethnicity self-identity as "white"? Few. How many identify as "blacks"? Many. And fortunately it isn't an entirely negative thing. When people like Obama and Megan identify as blacks that can only help with the still ongoing racism along the white/black diagonal. 

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This system seems to be in effect today as well. How many of visually mixed ethnicity self-identity as "white"? Few. How many identify as "blacks"? Many. And fortunately it isn't an entirely negative thing. When people like Obama and Megan identify as blacks that can only help with the still ongoing racism along the white/black diagonal. 

Either that or it shows that you need a little mayonaise to make that good sandwich :lol:  But nah, yeah, I see your point, especially in regards to the past and that, though we're talking about western culture here specifically.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

To be "white" was a privelege for those pure of blood. If your skin wasn't white enough, indicating a black ancestor, you weren't allowed to refer to yourself as white. At best you now belonged to the "mixed races" but more likely you were considered "black". An aspect of racism. To be "white" was an exclusive thing and some contamination of the blood, even if it happened generations ago, was disqualifying if it manifested itself in anything but purely white skin. 

If anything, it promotes pigeonholing people and I don't like that. If I hadn't read about it, I would never have guessed Meghan was black or half black or whatever. I wonder if she's been confronted with racism as often as people who have darker skin. I would much rather see people not caring about skin colour. It doesn't make anyone better or worse. Maybe it's because I was raised in a time where we were taught skin colour doesn't matter. Look at the Benetton ads or that song by Neneh Cherry and Youssou N'Dour. It seems as though we're getting back from that. You have to be proud to be black, but you mustn't be proud to be white, because that's wrong. As if your skin colour is an accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand where it comes from and I do understand people may think it will help with racism. But I doubt that. Talking strictly about women now, I ask myself why don't these black people wear an afro hairdo (I don't know how to properly call it)? I think that would help insecure black girls who feel awful about their hair and do anything to straighten their hair to look more like white people. What kind of an example do all these black celebrities set when saying they're proud to be black, but treat their hair with chemicals just to have the hair of a white woman? It may sound silly, but it's a daily struggle for girls who feel forced to have their hair straightened at a certain age because having afro hair is ugly. I feel sorry every time I see a black woman with weaves or wigs or straightened hair.

In short: I want to see Meghan with an afro :lol:

Edited by Lio

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

If anything, it promotes pigeonholing people and I don't like that. If I hadn't read about it, I would never have guessed Meghan was black or half black or whatever. I wonder if she's been confronted with racism as often as people who have darker skin. I would much rather see people not caring about skin colour. It doesn't make anyone better or worse. Maybe it's because I was raised in a time where we were taught skin colour doesn't matter. Look at the Benetton ads or that song by Neneh Cherry and Youssou N'Dour. It seems as though we're getting back from that. You have to be proud to be black, but you mustn't be proud to be white, because that's wrong. As if your skin colour is an accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand where it comes from and I do understand people may think it will help with racism. But I doubt that. Talking strictly about women now, I ask myself why don't these black people wear an afro hairdo (I don't know how to properly call it)? I think that would help insecure black girls who feel awful about their hair and do anything to straighten their hair to look more like white people. What kind of an example do all these black celebrities set when saying they're proud to be black, but treat their hair with chemicals just to have the hair of a white woman? It may sound silly, but it's a daily struggle for girls who feel forced to have their hair straightened at a certain age because having afro hair is ugly. I feel sorry every time I see a black woman with weaves or wigs or straightened hair.

In short: I want to see Meghan with an afro :lol:

Someone who looks like Meghan has no doubt faced less oppression than the average person, because she's attractive. She's probably had many men tripping over themselves trying to please her. Because she has hot woman privilege. She's got a damn royal wrapped around her finger, if that isn't privilege I don't know what is.

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I have no idea mate, I've just heard he was half caste, I don't know to what degree or anything. 

Me either, I was just joking. I think his dad was black Kenyan and his mom was white American. Basically half and half.

On 16/01/2020 at 7:31 AM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Back in the 40's when a royal married a divorced American woman, he was out! Thank goodness things have changed. lol

I say Harry and Megan should do what they feel is right for their family, but Megan should have realized how much her life would change being in the royal family and having certain duties that you are supposed to do. 

I hope the Queen lives for her retirement and has some peace in her last days. Charles will be King and the family will go on.

Think charles would pass the kingship to william. Charles is to old.....at least the royalty would go to william as i think the monarcy cares about youth.

This is fair enough. That is the main objections removed as far as I'm concerned,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865

7 hours ago, Dazey said:

Basically if you drop a thimble of diarrhoea in to a bath full of milk......

:lol: 

In the older segments of my family it used to be called, ''...having a touch of the tar brush''.