New York post article about guns

10 hours ago, Asia said:

One may love them to death and agree with some things they did or said or treat those selected things as inspiration but to view them as heroes, idols or a moral compass surely isn't a good idea ;)

They're rock musicians, hardly the paragons of virtue to begin with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, killuridols said:

According to himself and the testimony of others, he did do heavy drugs at some point. He tried it all but he didn't get hook on that. Apparently.

How was he able to find a place to sleep? You think most people like doing charity?

Sleeping is not the only thing one needs to survive. You need to eat, drink, shower, a bathroom, clothes, move to places...

8 hours ago, Frey said:

Yes, part of me also agrees with this. But then again, Axl's pre-GNR years are pretty damn nebulous, so who knows. Anything could have been going on back then.

In regards to drugs, people have said Axl was doing heroin between 1985-early 1986.

Gina Siller said that in the first year Axl didn't settle in LA and he was going back to Indiana often. Then they moved together in LA and shared an appartment. According to Kevin Lawrence of Rapidfire, at some point Gina moved out and Izzy moved in. After that Axl stayed at various people's houses (Chris Weber, Tracii Guns), he was also sleeping at Tower Records where he worked, then he stayed with Slash and he also was sleeping in strippers' homes like the rest of them etc .

Also let's not forget Izzy's quote about "selling girls" (unclear if he was talking only about himself or all of them).

My point with "he was able to find a place to sleep" was that if he did it, he could have used the money for a cheap room or something and he wouldn't have to stay in other people's houses.

Anyway, I don't discard the possibility of Axl doing this thing (like I said, if he had to do it to survive at some point, it could be the explanation for his homophobia, taking into consideration that he was coming from a homophobic background); I just don't see much of a "fitting pattern" there.

Edited by Blackstar
added

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My point with "he was able to find a place to sleep" was that if he did it, he could have used the money for a cheap room or something and he wouldn't have to stay in other people's houses.

Duff mentioned in his book that Axl sometimes slept on the streets.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Maybe he did it occasionally, to make some extra bucks.

That story of the guy letting him "crash at his hotel room" has always sounded weird to me.

1 hour ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah, me too. I swear I read an interview over a decade ago in which Steven said that he and Slash used to turn tricks for money.

I remember this because I was a kid back then and was still learning English. I had no idea what the phrase "turning tricks" meant and had to look it up.

I was shocked when I found out lol.

It's been burned into my brain ever since. I've never managed to find that interview again though.

I read about it too and I dont remember exactly where but the time I read this was in the 90s.

It shooked me to find out, as well.....

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

In regards to drugs, people have said Axl was doing heroin between 1985-early 1986.

Gina Siller said that in the first year Axl didn't settle in LA and he was going back to Indiana often. Then they moved together in LA and shared an appartment. According to Kevin Lawrence of Rapidfire, at some point Gina moved out and Izzy moved in. After that Axl stayed at various people's houses (Chris Weber, Tracii Guns), he was also sleeping at Tower Records where he worked, then he stayed with Slash and he also was sleeping in strippers' homes like the rest of them etc .

Also let's not forget Izzy's quote about "selling girls" (unclear if he was talking only about himself or all of them).

Anyway, I don't discard the possibility of Axl doing this thing (like I said, if he had to do it to survive at some point, it could be the explanation for his homophobia, taking into consideration that he was coming from a homophobic background); I just don't see much of a "fitting pattern" there.

Axl once told a story during an onstage rant about how a trucker picked him up while hitchhiking. He said that he stayed at the hotel with the guy and woke up because the guy was trying to rape him. He said he flipped and held a razer knife to  the guys throat. If true,  this event would've obviously  played a big role in Axl having a negative view of homos. 

6 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

Axl once told a story during an onstage rant about how a trucker picked him up while hitchhiking. He said that he stayed at the hotel with the guy and woke up because the guy was trying to rape him. He said he flipped and held a razer knife to  the guys throat. If true,  this event would've obviously  played a big role in Axl having a negative view of homos. 

That was told at the St Louis show and happened in St Louis when he left home because the juvenile authorities wanted to lock him up, so got the fuck outta Dodge, as he put it. It was an air conditioning man in a van.

Edited by BlueJean Baby
Forgot the fuckin' pic

2 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

That was told at the St Louis show and happened in St Louis when he left home because the juvenile authorities wanted to lock him up, so got the fuck outta Dodge, as he put it. It was an air conditioning man in a van.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of

• Like 1

I remember Axl almost got raped by a brazilian fan in rock in rio, at the end of the show Axl was in "underwear" and some naked guy came from behind and was intercepted by security just in time. LOL!

Found the clip, this is hilarious: 

16 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah, me too. I swear I read an interview over a decade ago in which Steven said that he and Slash used to turn tricks for money.

I read it too.

16 hours ago, Lumikki said:

Keeping this in mind, consider this: How desperate, drug-addicted, mentally unstable or otherwise damaged by life do you have to be to even consider to sell yourself to random people (doesn't matter if it's old cougars or male pervs)?

When I think of Steven or Axl (or anyone in the band) doing that, I don't feel disgusted or disappointed. I only see kids/young adults (because they would have been between 12 and 23 or so when these things took place, going by what we know*) who spend too much time on the streets, with a complete lack of familial support and parental supervision, and affected by mental health issues, trauma, etc. struggling to get by...

Actually neither of them was at a no way out situation. Most had parents that weren't that unsupportive (even Axl said his parents kept on trying to talk him into going to college and studying, not to mention Slash who was always on good terms with his folks). All of them could get some decent jobs and just work, we're talking USA here, not some 3-rd world country. Whatever they did was more a matter of choice, maybe a choice made in a more than usually difficult situation but still not a necessity. Also, what seems extraordinarily digusting or unimaginable for one doesn't have to be so for others, especially if those others are rebellious kids, pretending to be really bad, drunk and drugged and surrounding themselves with people who are morally very "liberated" like hookers, strippers, drug dealers, women dealers and God knows who else. I guess whatever they did was more because it was a more convenient option at that moment than because they were so desperate. Still, it neither disgusts or dissapoints me at all. Nor do I condemn them for that. Whatever. It was their lives and their choices and I never expected to find saints in Guns N'Roses.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Asia said:

I read it too.

Actually neither of them was at a no way out situation. Most had parents that weren't that unsupportive (even Axl said his parents kept on trying to talk him into going to college and studying, not to mention Slash who was always on good terms with his folks). All of them could get some decent jobs and just work, we're talking USA here, not some 3-rd world country. Whatever they did was more a matter of choice, maybe a choice made in a more than usually difficult situation but still not a necessity. Also, what seems extraordinarily digusting or unimaginable for one doesn't have to be so for others, especially if those others are rebellious kids, pretending to be really bad, drunk and drugged and surrounding themselves with people who are morally very "liberated" like hookers, strippers, drug dealers, women dealers and God knows who else. I guess whatever they did was more because it was a more convenient option at that moment than because they were so desperate. Still, it neither disgusts or dissapoints me at all. Nor do I condemn them for that. Whatever. It was their lives and their choices and I never expected to find saints in Guns N'Roses.

Beautifully put! 

And as for those saying that truck driver incident was a legit reason for Axl to despise gay people - really? It's as if I would hate all heterosexual men for having been in similar situations. If I did, most of you would definitely give me a hard time about it. 

7 hours ago, Asia said:

Great post. 

19 hours ago, Walapino said:

I remember Axl almost got raped by a brazilian fan in rock in rio, at the end of the show Axl was in "underwear" and some naked guy came from behind and was intercepted by security just in time. LOL!

Found the clip, this is hilarious: 

This must be one of the biggest lies that circulate over the Internet: "Axl almost got raped in Rio in Rio II"

Bullshit. That guy did not, EVER, climb onstage "naked and ready to rape Axl" :facepalm:.

He was grabbed by his shorts by the security guards and they pulled them down, I believe this was unintentional, because they wanted to stop him fast before he could get to Axl.

The video is clear but people want to believe things that fit their ideologies and phobias.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Asia said:

Nope, disagree.

Or actually, I agree to some extent in Slash's case, because he seems like a mentally stable person with no obvious deficits and he had (has) loving, supportive parents for the most part . Though you could probably say they were pretty negligent by today's standards and let the kid run completley wild judging by what Slash has said about his younger years. "Lack of parental supervision" or whatever @Lumikki called it definitely played a role in his case, and yes, for him it might have been a gross but quick way of making money/getting stuff he wanted. Which fits a pattern with Slash, since he also was very fond of simply stealing everything he wanted.

But Steven and Axl? Completely different. Those two were some very damaged kids by all accounts and seriously fucked up in multiple ways. And so were (or are, in Steven's case) their parents.

What does it matter if Axl's parents tried to talk him into coming back to go to college, if doing that would have meant for him to return to the very thing he ran away from in the first place? They'd still have been the same people, it'd still have been the same town, the entire situation would still have been as unhealthy and unbearable as before. So no, not really an option. The same goes for Steven. As we've recently seen, Mrs. Adler is still crazy and always will be and the entire situation was apparently much worse back then with the shady step father still in the picture and everything else.

Add to that various other factors such as emotional and/or mental health issues (let's be real, going by what people like Izzy have said or the results of the psychiatric evaluations done on Axl, Axl was already a complete loon very unstable and volatile young man by the time he was a teenager) and questionable levels of intelligence (let's be frank again, Steven has always come across as borderline retarded), and I see no real difference between their "choices" and the "choices" millions of other young people in shitty situations with shitty problems make every day.

• Like 3